1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Championship playoffs 2017

Discussion in 'football' started by mod, May 9, 2017.

1. mod

mod A modernist

So, my own team Fulham are involved this year and seem to be the favorites to get promoted with the bookies at 7/4.

We are on fantastic run of form and always do well against the good sides in the division so I'm confident we will get to Wembley and then who knows? We also have a tendency to over play and get ourselves into trouble and we are fucking terrible at penalties having missed 9 this season. That doesn't bode well if there is a shoot out.

Any fans of Sheff Weds, Reading or Huddersfield on here? Are you confident.

Championship play-off schedule:

May 13 (1730 BST) – Fulham v Reading
May 14 (1200 BST) – Huddersfield v Sheffield Wednesday
    May 16 (1945 BST) – Reading v Fulham
May 17 (1945 BST) – Sheffield Wednesday v Huddersfield
    May 29 (1500 BST) – Final (at Wembley)

Sea Lion and Badgers like this.
  2. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

Wednesday fan here, apart from the weekend's game against your lot (lot of squad rotation and a red card, to be fair) we've looked strong finishing the season, but the play-offs are a different beast.

After the disappointment last year I'm not sure whether it will help us this time round, but Huddersfield away in the first leg is probably the game I would have wanted to start off with.

We need our strikers to start banging in some goals, they've been inconsistent most of the season and arguably our best player, Forestieri, hasn't looked at his best either.

We're fairly strong at the back though, and probably got one of the best keepers in the league, could make the difference if it gets tight.

3. mod

mod A modernist

there's talk on a FFC forum saying you will be in trouble with FFP is you fail to go up. Is that true? Have you spent a lot this year?

4. Sea Lion

Sea Lion If you can't dance just nod your head

The team that claims the last play off spot tend to do well in the finals. Fulham are also the in form team and scoring plenty. I think and hope they will do it.

mod likes this.
  5. The Octagon

To be honest I haven't got a clue, but we brought Jordan Rhodes and Sam Winnall in during the January window at no small cost (as well as others in the preceding summer) and we're now owned by a Thai Tuna kingpin, so it wouldn't surprise me if some cash was flying around.

Hopefully they've kept it below the threshold, the only info I can find by googling is from last year but suggests we're fine even if we don't get promotion - Sheffield Wednesday: Owls are ‘well within’ FFP rules

I suspect, given our years of living with massive debt since relegation from the Prem in 2000, we're being run a bit better now.

mod likes this.
  6. mod

mod A modernist

I'm really in two minds. Promotion would mean the break up of this side who have become a very decent team. If we fail to win the playoffs I honestly think we'll be top two next season and therefore going up in better shape.

But we'll have more chance of hanging on to Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon (and his brother) so I've changed my mind in the same post. Bring on promotion.

Sea Lion likes this.
  7. Sea Lion

Sea Lion If you can't dance just nod your head

You have to take the chance when it comes. My team Millwall has the same predicament, don't go up and lose good young players, go up and possibly get hammered week in week out and ruin good young players and still lose them but for less money.

mod likes this.
  8. mod

mod A modernist

If Fulham don't win our semi I'm going to go to Wembley to cheer your boys on. I live around The Corner from the Den and have a few Millwall supporting mates. Good luck in the final.

Sea Lion likes this.
  9. The Octagon

Considering how defensive that performance was, I'll take 0-0, but leaves us open to a smash and grab at Hillsborough.

Hope we turn up on Wednesday night.

Other tie poised nicely too.

10. The Octagon

Pretty much what happened tbf :D

11. mod

mod A modernist

Reading came for a draw and got it. Made us look very ordinary. Negative tactics but they worked. Their player getting booked for time wasting in the first half says it all. Nicely poised for tomorrow night as you say.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. Captain Christy

Captain Christy Active Member

The only problem with Fulham going up is getting bloody match tickets. I was at a number of games at Craven Cottage this season. Lovely pubs near Putney Bridge and then a good walk down by the Thames with the crowd as kickoff approaches. No hassle with the local police or stewards

13. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Lots to look forward to next season then, despite it all. :p I dare say Reading will lose the play off final again, so see you next season. :hmm:

14. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Watch this and tell me that Reading FC shouldn't be immediately liquidated:

bromley, Fez909 and LiamO like this.
  15. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Fair point, well made.
    And apparently we have swapped out our Thai owners for Chinese ones, this very night. Oh the joys of modern football.

16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat vote proletaricat democracy

10 goals in the last 10 games from yann kermogant - who the belgian nitwits attempting to run charlton said wasn't good enough

:mad:

bromley likes this.
  17. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

More evidence for the prosecution:

Jesus Christ

Fez909 likes this.
  18. The Octagon

Did they just dive bomb Wembley?

"The Berkshire Messi" :D

19. The Octagon

In other news, I'm bricking it for tonight, last night's game showed how fine margins decide these matches, and I'm not keen on how everyone is saying we're slight favourites :mad:

Looking forward to hearing a packed out Hillsborough give it some though :cool:

20. The Octagon

Bugger.

Fair play to Huddersfield tho, think they shaded the tie overall and I hope they go up, they play good football.

21. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Fair do's he's moved on since this, but I'll never forget it, the best night ever in Cardiff's new stadium!

passenger likes this.
  22. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

:mad::mad:

23. mod

mod A modernist

Good luck Huddersfield in the final. I really hope they do it.

24. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Huddersfield in the Prem would be awesome!

twistedAM likes this.
  25. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Anyone catch the two League Two play-off semis last night? What a cracking pair of ties!

26. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

27. mod

mod A modernist

congratulations mate. brilliant day for you lot and welcome back.

Sea Lion likes this.
  28. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I'm in Huddersfield atm, good luck to the Terriers!

Badgers and JimW like this.