Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Not impossible at any cost. But “at any cost” isn’t real life is it?
    And to reiterate the earlier point, having no cover is better than having no club.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

Have you looked at and costed any possible such solutions? How much did they cost?

3. scousedom

Oh behave.

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It may well be possible at a reasonable monetary cost, but including it in this application would be counter-productive if the political cost is too high.

Dulwich Mishi and EDC like this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

Oh well. I'll just keep my silly ideas to myself from now on, eh?

*Feels growing distance between me and what I thought was 'my' club...

6. scousedom

Forgive me for being a little exasperated at the suggestion that the onus is on me to price your unicorn rather than you, despite it being your imagination it exists in.

cg__, Cyclodunc and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

Could you be any more patronising, do you think?

8. scousedom

Or you more impractical?

9. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

Surely getting the new stadium is the most important part here. We can add extra cover at a later date, perhaps work together as a club to find a solution? That's as opposed to DHFC supporters arguing amongst ourselves over what should be a hugely positive moment in our clubs history. Meadows fuck off (even though it sticks in the craw that they'll profit at all), our future is 100% secure and we have a stadium that befits a club that's moving on up.

EDC and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  10. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

The FA ground grading document linked earlier on the thread states that "temporary structures will not be accepted" so it's probably a non-starter.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

Understood. Thank you.

12. Emmbeee

Emmbeee Well-Known Member

Temporary structures don't count towards the minimum but aren't banned in excess of the minimum.

This means all the required seating and cover could be provided in the main stand, with another method of providing cover provided elsewhere.

I remember driving along a motorway and seeing a cricket sightscreen in a field advertising something. A billboard will never get permission next to a motorway. At the bottom was the text "we don't need planning permission for something on wheels".
    Now who is to say the plan isn't for a temporary gazebo type structure to be erected either side of any matches when weather requires it.
    You wouldn't put this on the planning application.
    I know nothing btw, this is just a personal opinion.

My mind went to the now demolished Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield which had a tarpaulin roof cantilevered without affecting sightlines. By building A frames into the sunken terrace this could easily be achieved. Top panels could then be slotted in when required.

http://www.newsteelconstruction.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/202jan12.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  13. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

We're applying for Category 'A' grading which is suitable for step 5 rather than Cat 'B' which is only suitable for level 6.

Attached Files:

14. pinknblue

Going back to Tooting would mean DHFC going out of existence!

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

You mean relegated.

16. pinknblue

I agree but having no cover is still pretty rubbish! It will affect our gates and sightlines from all those umbrellas. We have a ground with some cover now so why would a new ground with some cover be unacceptable? Can one of the directors/planning team answer this please? Presumably, we're not allowed to add cover behind the goals at our current ground either?

editor likes this.
  17. pinknblue

No, I mean bankrupt! As we so nearly were last year when at Tooting!

18. pinknblue

Why the reduction in seats this time? In the original plans I seem to remember it was closer to 900 seats.

19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

If you believe that. Good for you.

20. pinknblue

I'm just going on what's been publicly stated elsewhere!

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I’m sure. But if we move to tooting, lose our manager and all our players. The fanbase collapses to 100.

We don’t go bankrupt but effectively the club is on its knees.

Things would be bad, but not bankrupt.

I also don’t know why would have to go back to Tooting. Will Meadow kick us out again if they don’t get that way?

22. Pink Panther

It would make both more likely the longer we were there. We're Dulwich Hamlet Football Club, we don't belong in Tooting. We wouldn't attract new support while we were there and our existing support would diminish the longer we were there, especially if we began slipping down the pyramid. I'd rather see the club mothballed until it was possible to resume playing in or close to Dulwich, even if that meant resuming at a much lower level like the Kent County League or Surrey Intermediate League.

Umbrellas have no place in football grounds, and it's amazing how those who bring them always want to stand at the front. I'd ban them from the ground. Anyone who thinks they need an umbrella should wear a suitable hat and coat instead.

pompeydunc, Jamie Wyatt, EDC and 3 others like this.
  23. scousedom

^^This.

pompeydunc likes this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

I agree, but with standing space in the new ground being reduced to absolutely zero, we can surely expect a lot more of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nivag likes this.
  25. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Don't you think they will? I wouldn't like to put it to the test.

From looking at the plans I'd be keen to hear how the attendance could be expanded - it doesn't look like it would be an easy thing to do.

B.I.G likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I think they will. Therefore I have no interest in their plans.

27. scousedom

Two things:
    1. Where does it say standing space in the new ground is being reduced to absolutely zero? We're all-seater now are we?
    2. Assuming you just mean there will be less space than currently - which I don't accept having not compared the plans with the current layout, but let's ignore that for the moment - why would you assume that our fans would become more anti-social than less? Why would people be more likely to use an umbrella in a cramped environment than a spacious one?

28. editor

editor hiraethified

I meant standing space with no cover, hence the need for umbrellas. Sorry, I thought that was startingly obvious given the context of the comment and the post I was replying to.

I didn't realise using an umbrella in the pissing rain was deemed an 'anti social' activity, but with no cover at all for standing spectators and increased crowds, I'd say there's a distinct possibility that more umbrellas will appear in the ground.

29. Pink Panther

Personally I'd say it is when you're at a spectator event and it's blindingly obvious other people have to watch from behind you as there isn't enough room for everyone at the front. I don't even own an umbrella and haven't done for a very long time. I simply check the weather forecast before a match and dress appropriately .If we can ban people from bringing their own booze into the ground we can ban them from bringing in umbrellas.

30. Taper

Taper Mark McGann

We should ship the San Siro over brick by brick and stick it on Greendale. All MOL and planning concerns would wither away set against such an epic undertaking.