Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

The thing to always remember is that if developers could get away with providing zero social/affordable units in their developments, they gladly would. Every time.

The only reason why there's any affordable units - laughable though the 'affordable' notion is anyway - is because they're being compelled to do so in order for their profit raking development to go ahead.

But if there's any way they can wriggle out of their commitment to affordable homes once planning permission is granted, they'll be right on it, like the profiteering scumbags they are.

e.g. Barratt Homes, Brixton Square and the fight to retain affordable housing in Brixton. Please sign the petition.

2. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Perhaps it would be more constructive to focus any ire on whoever sold our stadium to a developer?

Our only way out of this and the only way for the club to retain a permanent presence within the local community - and a much more positive and constructive one at that - is to get the best we possibly can out of the current situation.

YTC and scousedom like this.
  3. editor

Of course. But even if I try to forget the shitty shenigans of the past, the stadium they're proposing is very much inadequate for the club and its supporters.

It's always worth remembering that developers have a very, very long history of falling back on their promises and failing to deliver things they pledged once they get planning permission. I don't think there's anything wrong with people keeping these depressing facts in their thoughts.

4. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Which is all well and good. Maybe they should have thought about that before they evicted us.

If they give me what I want then I’m all for it. And I want a stadium that is built properly (unlikely) and fit for purpose (3000 is not fit for purpose).

iamwithnail likes this.
  5. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Entirely understand re your last sentence. Very few things are made worse by greater transparency and better accountability.

pompeydunc and editor like this.
  6. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

I can't remember who made the point earlier but it looks as if they were correct.

The ref is clearly not going to allow Ash to take a quick free kick.

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      330.7 KB
      Views:
    tasty_snacks, bkbk, EDC and 2 others like this.
  7. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Need a 4,000 capacity at least from the start. New Stadium in Vanarana Nat or South will sell out for many games if only 3,000

editor, Pink Panther and B.I.G like this.
  8. editor

They're using sugar to mark out the lines too!

2019-01-02_224621.jpg

tasty_snacks and iamwithnail like this.
  9. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

10. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Bit billericay that

editor likes this.
  11. editor

If you consumed enough sugar (or similar white powder) perhaps you might think that you can trademark the name of a 125 year old club that has got fuck all to do with your shitty cunty company stuffed full of cunts being cunty.

B.I.G likes this.
  12. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

And then build a stadium that’s worse than the existing one.

editor likes this.
  14. editor

On public land you have no permission to build on.

B.I.G likes this.
  15. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

To be fair. I’m not so bothered about that.

16. editor

But you would have to be pretty out of your box to turn up with a trowel and start building a house there without permission.

B.I.G and iamwithnail like this.
  17. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Did we speak on saturday then? :D

Cyclodunc likes this.
  18. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

The plan of where the stadium is looks almost identical to the previous plan. The main stand rotated 90 degrees and along where the Greendale Terrace end is now. The difference seems to be that the opposite side will have a removable wall opening onto Greendale. As Crispy said, this means the claim its not on MOL suggests that there are no permanent structures (stand, roofs, toilets, food stall etc) on any other part other than the main stand. Also any future development or expansion would be impossible.

editor and B.I.G like this.
  19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

After all this time the minimum anyone should expect from Meadow is a vaguely plausible plan that they would dilute later.

They cant even do that properly. Absolute amateur hour.

editor likes this.
  20. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I find it surprisingly easy to imagine B.I.G doing just that!

I'm not going to keep banging on about Meadow here, it's great to be back at Champion Hil for the forseeable future, it just looks like there are still many obstacles to overcome before the Club's future is secure. Regardless fo teh MOL issue, you would think Southwark Council has given Meadow some sort of indication that this new proposal is worth pursuing. Meadow has addressed the quota of "affordable housing" that pretty much doomed their initial plans; surely the next logical question would be "is there any chance of this new football ground gaining the necessary approval?" If not surely they'd have been better off playing the long game and leaving us to battle on at Mitcham?

21. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

So other than the number of flats/affordable homes increasing, what has actually changed here?

They still want to use MOL in their plan so why should they be given permission to do that now when they weren't before? And in all honesty what sort of message would it send out to other developers if Meadow actually got their way after everything they've done?

I don't believe or trust a word of this.

editor likes this.
  22. takkforalt

takkforalt Well-Known Member

Would be keen to see a picture looking the other way, to see exactly what this retractable side looks like...

23. editor

Sounds like a really shit bodge that will leave us with a deeply unsatisfactory ground, probably worse than what we have now.

24. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

MOL is and can be an issue, but as I understand it...it's certainly not impossible to build on MOL by a long chalk. And most of the facilities on the proposed new ground would be outside what is classed as MOL. The development wasn't thwarted because of MOL last time...it was because the lack of reaching the, was it 35%, thresh hold, for affordable housing in the previous application.

If this were to go through I would love it. Meadows would no longer be our landlord, & it is a totally different ball game now, with people from our end leading the process from a Football Club perspective, who are much more business minded and who won't accept second best.

If Meadow don't get their development it leaves our future much more in the balance than if they do, as far as I am concerned.

If it falls through they will still be our landlord...and who knows what will happen again then?

25. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yeah it looks the same doesn't it. Presumably there's been some movement behind the scenes which most of us don't know about but it's hard to see what that might be at the moment.

Given it's similarity I think it looks very likely to come back down that same route as before, and that will include them asking the club and fans to support a development. Can anyone do that in good conscience really? I was dubious the first time tbh.

26. Dulwich Mishi

Let us not forget...this is an outline drawing. Until an actual detailed planning application goes in to the Council we are all only guessing. The only people who will be able to answer from a Club perspective at the moment will be the Directors. And I would suspect if it would probably be at the 'behind closed doors business confidential' stage if they are involved, so would be unlikely to divudge here at the present time...hopefully sooner rather than later a public meeting with supporters could be held to keep everyone informed in the near(ish) future.

To be honest I'm surprised anyone could have been naive enough to think everything would be hunky dory once we got back to Champion Hill, and that the ground is fit for purpose for us, and Meadow would be perfectly happy to let us stay as tenants with no return for their investment...

tasty_snacks and alcopop like this.
  27. Dulwich Mishi

I certainly would if it means a new ground for us, which is what I wanted all along...

28. editor

I'm surprised you're inventing such a daft position that no one has ever stated, ever.

29. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Yep - the removable wall just sounds bizarre (when would it be removed/opened? Surely a permanent wall/boundary is required for security?) and the restriction on developing around the pitch presumably means three sides of the ground will have no appropriate sloping terracing. It's fine saying it'll be big enough for 4,000 people, but how many of those 4,000 would actually be able to see the match?

Same here. I wasn't happy about supporting the development on MOL before, but I did in the end because from everything I read it felt like it was for the best, partly because we were told that there was a desperate need for a new stadium (which I now feel was a lie). I struggle to see myself backing a Meadow scheme again - they are liars and bullies and even if they promised a fantastic stadium I wouldn't trust them to deliver it.

GregDHFC, Jimbob73 and B.I.G like this.
  30. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

The last new ground built for us certainly delivered great stability.

Its on Meadow to win back the fans and their latest shitshow is yet another negative.

They couldnt even promise the world properly. Lets alone build it.

Time for them to let someone else have a go at evicting us.