Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Simple... there was literally no money left, the players & management wouldn’t have been paid, we would have got relegated, crowds would have shrunk even further... an ever viscous downward spiral... As an aside, if we stayed groundsharing we wouldn’t be DULWICH would we... So to turn your question back at you B.I.G how long do you think we could have conceivably continued away from our Dulwich heartland?

2. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

I know nobody involved in this discussion would want to do any damage to the club. The deal that has been done was a difficult one and I am sure that the club’s directors and trust board members will be happy to answer any questions to the extent that they feel able to. But there are constraints and the current situation remains one where it is incumbent upon anyone with an interest in the club to take care about what they say on a public forum.

3. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

There's only really one way out of it, which is Meadow walking away with a profit and us ending up with a place to play.

4. sleaterkinney

How long is the lease for?

5. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

I think it's ridiculous that the article doesn't mention that the whole reason we've got this homecoming game is because meadow kicked us out in the first place. They are allowed a quote alongside DHFC's that looks like they are supportive of us returning home.

I know this is an article "written" from a press release, but any coverage should be asking them why they tried to destroy DHFC and why we shouldn't oppose everything they do, not just ignoring the past.

Dulwich Mishi and iamwithnail like this.
  6. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

More flats, new ground, and no building on MOL. Can't see any issues there.:hmm:

7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

How long did Hendon survive?

I’m not commenting on the fact that there was “literally no money left”.

8. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Meadow had their chance.

9. editor

editor Forked with electrons

In every Buzz article I do my best to remind people what a bunch of utter fucking shitehawk cunts Meadow are.

10. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

Also says we haven't played at CH since the play off final. We haven't played there for longer than that too! We are achieved promotion despite Meadow's best efforts and I won't forget that!

GregDHFC likes this.
  11. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Not wishing to state the bleedin’ obvious here but they are supportive of us returning home, otherwise it wouldn’t have happened. Southwark has also been very supportive of us returning home and is, of course, very keen to get the club back into the heart of the community where it has always been based. As mentioned above, it’s been a very difficult deal to secure and prudence is the watchword for all involved.

12. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Leaves a pretty nasty taste in the mouth to see McDaniel suddenly speaking in the media again after his months of silence. I, for one, will never believe anything with his name attached, and will never support any of his plans.

13. editor

But they were the fucking cunts that kicked us out in the first place, in a needless and unnecessary Lord Snooty toys/pram ejecting tempter tantrum because they couldn't bully the council into getting exactly what they wanted. And then they tried to finish us off for good by trying to trademark our name and strip us of our commercial and traditional identity.

I loathe the company and dream of the day the cunts at the top get their long-overdue comeuppance.

Ronco, Jimbob73, blueheaven and 6 others like this.
  14. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Whilst those are pretty much my own feelings, the bottom line is that we're now back home on much more favourable terms than those we endured before we were kicked out. Meadow have massively lost face as far as i can see, and have had to make significant concessions in order to keep their development plans alive. I'm sure there must be details that haven't been publicly disclosed. I'm not naive enough to believe that everything has been resolved and our long term future is now secure, but I do trust those who have guided the club from where we were before to where we are now and I'm thankful that their powers of diplomacy and negotiation are greater than mine. I certainly wouldn't have been capable of sitting down in the same room as McDaniel and Bennison while this deal was brokered.

15. tasty_snacks

tasty_snacks Well-Known Member

^^^^^^
    Nail on head.

Yes, Meadow are massive c units, and yes they did try to fuck over the club and the hold the council to ransom, but that strategy backfired. The resistance was stronger than they anticipated, and they've been forced back to the table.

Nothing is ever binary. Concessions must be made on all sides. History is there to be learnt from, not to bear grudges that prevent any forward movement.

Pink Panther likes this.
  16. jmbwd

jmbwd Active Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  17. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

18. editor

I'm not one to get carried away, but "a new community stadium facility with capacity for up to 4,000 fans" with - presumably zero space for future growth - may prove limiting for the club, no?

19. Pink Panther

That is the minimum standard for our current level. I believe you need potential to go up to a minimum capacity of 5,000 to meet the criteria for the National Division, which the current ground has due to the amount of flat space that could be built up with further terracing. It sounds like we would get a tighter ground with a smaller footprint, and that's not really good enough.

GregDHFC and editor like this.
  20. sleaterkinney

21. editor

I expect nothing but the absolute bare minimum required from Meadow who have already conclusively proved that they don't give a flying fuck for our club, and if they could find a way to get what they wanted that meant we were dumped in the shit, they would do so in a heartbeat.

GregDHFC likes this.
  22. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

3000 capacity is too small. It needs to be 4,000 capacity.

If we hit the limit already it needs to be 4,000 with potential to 5,000.

Why should the fans accept less, they should have built it before if they wanted to get away with claiming it would be big enough,

Cat Daisy, editor and Pink Panther like this.
  23. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Anyone know exactly where the MOL actually starts and /ends, is it the near edge of the current AstroTurf pitch?

24. Pink Panther

Minimum. With potential to increase further.

25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Sorry if PP liked while I was still editing.

Pink Panther likes this.
  26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Yeah but we would have to pay for it. We need 4,000 now with 5,000 later. They just need to dig deeper.

27. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The only image on that page clearly shows the pitch on the astroturf (that's Sainsbury's roof on the left)

new.jpg

From the previous planning application, it is clear that the MOL includes all the astroturf:

upload_2019-1-2_17-0-58.png
    (from the document "GLA open space response")

The new website also proposes 235 homes, compared to the previous 155.

Therefore, I don't see how on earth they can claim that "The stadium will sit outside the MOL". Maybe the main East stand will (as it also did in the previous scheme), but the pitch would remain within MOL. If this new scheme does pass, then any sort of development on the MOL part of the stadium would likely be impossible. Roofing, seated areas, toilets etc. would be limited to the East stand only.

They've softened on "affordable" housing, and have probably rotated the stadium a bit to lessen the encroachment on MOL, but Southwark/GLA's fundamental objection will still remain. A stadium, with hard terracing and a perimeter wall, is Development. No Development On Metropolitan Open Land.

Jimbob73 and editor like this.
  28. editor

Never. Trust. A. Developer.

29. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

We don’t even need to worry about trusting them. They already evicted us once. Where is my personal apology from them?

Where is my compensation?

30. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

Yes, you need a minimum of 4000 at the next level (& potential to go to 5000).
    http://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefac...9/ground-grading/grade-a-july-2018.ashx?la=en
    Have the actual dimensions been specified? Why isn't there a roof (or better banked terracing) behind the goal? Did Meadow just dream all this lot up without any consultation?

I like how 40% of the housing will be "affordable" - so the other 60%?!