Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I could never have envisaged how bloody irritating that "Gav Rose" thing could be until I'd read the entire article. It was like something Armando Iannucci would do for satirical effect.

"Crimson cheeked business analyst"!

On the whole a very good article and a lot of effort has gone into producing it. Once again huge thanks to Liam & Tom for piloting the club through the past twelve months, to Gavin & Junior for holding it all together on the field and earning promotion, and everyone else who has actively supported and assisted all of them.

I did enjoy the image of McDaniel briefly making an unexpected appearance to dislodge a jammed sliding door and getting sprinkled with dust.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Lyham, darryl, Noss and 5 others like this.
  2. hendo

hendo Fish finger sandwiches

Terrific piece. Hickey is an utter hero.

Harry R, Dirty South, Lyham and 6 others like this.
  3. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I wish the story about Adidas cancelling the photo shoot had been mentioned. That was a truly great victory.

4. Pink Panther

It was. Although with hindsight if the ground had continued to be used for ad hoc lettings such as that it might have been fit for Hamlet to make a more immediate return right now.

Persuading Adidas to cancel certainly felt right at the time though, and thanks to those who applied pressure and to Adidas for responding favourably.

hendo, EDC and Matt The Cab like this.
  5. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

For me that was a real pivotal thing , made me think that people were really listening to us and cared

6. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Same for me and I bet it made Meadow start to take us seriously as well.

EDC and Pink Panther like this.
  7. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

would be good to have a article in the first programme back at Champion hill on plight of other non league clubs and restating our fight is not over by a long way

also important to remember those teams who after the immediate eviction came to our aid - I am thinking T&M, Carlshalton, Hendon, Needham Market - some as I recall split the gate or made donations from their 50/50 raffles

billbond, editor, iamwithnail and 4 others like this.
  8. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Excellent article, one of the best ive ever seen on Dulwich hamlet infact
    Well done everybody mentioned
    As a aside i thought liam hickey was the chairman of the club but i was told the other day by a fan he is not now
    who is the chairman of the club now

Dirty South likes this.
  9. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

John ‘Primo’ Leahy

10. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

11. PartisanDulwich

12. PartisanDulwich

must be a better quality bbc version available on you tube but cannot find (all respect to Andy)

13. PartisanDulwich

14. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Re-added promotion roundabout on Google maps. "Awaiting verification" apparently...

hendo likes this.
  15. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I did that too

16. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I’m not going to type loads of stuff as it’s very cumbersome doing so on a small iPhone. But doesn’t the agreement say we have 18 months then rolling over year by year, or have I read it wrong? I also would still support a new ground next door whoever builds it, as I genuinely believe that’s the only way to secure our long-term future. And correct me if I’m wrong but to can build sports facilities on Metropolitan Open Land? I believe the ground where we are sharing is built on that? Much as I despise Meadow I wouldn’t care who developed a new ground

17. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

No you can't automatically build sports facilities on MOL. Cray Wanderers proposed new stadium was blocked by the current Mayor as it involved building a sports stadium on MOL. Labour have an electoral mandate to block such developments.

Edited to say, from memory, such development is also against Southwark planning policy.

18. peckhamasbestos

peckhamasbestos New Member

There is a presumption against development on MOL, which imho is why the original applications were flawed from their outsets. I am beyond delighted, to the point of tears, that DHFC have negotiated (with the help of so many) a return to Champion Hill, but do feel that it is a temp reprieve.

Until we have secured a long term lease on a secure home we will always be at the mercy/whim of others with deeper pockets, who are motivated by profit more than community benefit and alturism.

However, what the events of the last 8 months show, is that there is a motivated groundswell of public opinion that can bring influence to bear on such opposition.

Simply, it's not about the money, it is about so much more than that, and we know that's worth fighting for to safeguard.

Can't wait for tomorrow, I travel to Billericay so much more invigorated, enthusiastic, enlivened and hopeful.

#DHFC #forzahamlet

iamwithnail likes this.
  19. PartisanDulwich

20. EDC

88445C36-4B2B-4291-B0A1-C0087E7D0C28.jpeg I’ve just walked through Greendale wasteland. Lots of synthetic landscaping going on destroying the precious ecology?

the 12th man and Pink Panther like this.
  21. EDC

22. Pink Panther

Think of the newts!

23. EDC

Exactly !

24. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

The only newts I want to see when we return are our fans pissed as newts.

25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

26. PartisanDulwich

We always said one of the most important elements of the campaign to save Dulwich Hamlet was, not only to recognise it was a political campaign, but also to ensure it was a cross party campaign. Tracey Crouch was as good as her word re her commitments to call Meadows in and I am sure the meeting she organised was pivotal in our return to Champion hill

Her stand on fixed odds betting machines is welcome and comes at a high personal cost - a stance that many of us (not all) are proud that Dulwich Hamlet FC shares regarding betting and its destructive consequences on individuals and society when it is not properly regulated. Football betting advertising encroaches into every element of football in the UK - just glad Dulwich Hamlet has taken a stand (maybe generally unnoticed, but a principled stand nevertheless)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  27. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

BBC1 Question Time on Thursday 8th November will be in Dulwich. It would be good to have supporters in the audience wearing DHFC shirts who might get the opportunity to ask the panel if any of the political parties are going help DHFC play at Champion Hill permanently? Apply via the BBC website.
    Obviously not suggesting BIG should be on television ;)

28. Pink Panther

Why not? It might liven up one of television's most tedious programmes.

darryl, jnrknight, clog and 2 others like this.
  29. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

30. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Works goes on on the pitch, it’s coming home!

Attached Files: