Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Well-Known Member

:thumbs: approx 37 minutes but it's just not the same. Looking forward to a crap view from behind the goal but at least it's our goal.

Pink Panther likes this.
  2. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

BRILLIANT . sorry caps ha Just heard , well done everybody.
    All the people who have never given up, Editor for this message board as a outlet for the fans and to keep the pressure on and well pleased for some of the older fans Mishi Mr Dulwich and others must be so happy
    A little word of thanks for Tooting as well for being good hosts for while.
    Good to have a base back in the old nest back on the manor "oooohhhh gone all sarf London"
    No very happy , a little surprised at the timing of it thought it may take a little longer but hey who cares
    Small steps to get to the newer ground but this is a giant one to get the club back on track for now.
    Edgar Kail will be looking down with a little smile on his face today.
    Come on you pink and Blues

3. billbond

First song to be played on the return perhaps, at the first "home" game back

dessiato likes this.
  4. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

I'm very happy we're back, but I've seen a lot of "at least the story has a happy conclusion" on social media. This isn't the end. This is a halfway house, a restoration of where we were before these awful scumbags started deliberately fucking with us. It ends when we get them out of our club, our ground and out of our collective lives entirely. Super happy to be back, but it's not the end.

5. Pickers

Pickers Member

Great News but the statement released is slightly ambiguous about the future.

My opinion only but it sounds like there is still a lot of work to be done behind the scenes to resolve this properly.

All the talk about the Astro turf (which is actually just a waste of space currently) seems to me to suggest there is potentially a bigger plan and the shorter lease term with rolling contract is giving time for all parties to negotiate without antagonising each other.

Anyway. Everyone just needs to starting going many back to the ground as quickly as possible.

Thank you Tooting

Harry R, clog, darryl and 2 others like this.
  6. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Pleased to hear this, a long exile is never good for a club.

7. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

The amount of effort behind the scenes must have been incredible.
    Well done all!

Pink Panther likes this.
  8. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I feel - Im a bit concerned that this will be seen as a resolution to a situation that is nowhere near resolved. Delighted to see the club returning home obviously... but is anyone else a bit worried about what the long-term scenario going to be played out here is? By agreeing to this Meadow have managed to get the council to lift the threat of the CPO, which I'd guess was probably the one thing they were scared of? Do the council now think everything is fixed? Because surely we're still in a situation where we're playing in a ground owned by a company who ultimately want to destroy it and build flats? Presumably they're not giving up on that - so what is their end game? Do they still want the club to move to the astroturf, even though that's not viable for the club? And I still don't get all the constant focus on the lease of the astroturf anyway - it's barely more than a piece of wasteland (I understand that Meadow want to use it for their development of course, but if it's only a lease rather than ownership then how does that really help them).

Don't want to seem like I'm putting a downer on this and obviously it's a short-term win at the very least as it was becoming very apparent that games in Mitcham were unsustainable . . . and that first match back at CH is going to be electric . . . and I think everyone involved in making this happen has done a sensational job . . . but . . . I. Do. Not. Trust. Meadow.

Ronco, Harry R, clog and 5 others like this.
  9. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

10. PartisanDulwich

I am sure we do as stated above have a long long way to go to secure our future
    However, we were undoubtedly getting into difficulties at KNK re attendances and so it was a priority to return asap
    It's really important IMO that we set agenda and the return to Champion hill is a joyful and celebratory moment in our history
    Lets have some time for our fans to enjoy and savour the moment

ps what to do with 250 yellow ribbons with Dulwich Hamlet FC - Champion Hill on #LOL (12th Man still yours)

11. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

This is obviously fantastic news and should ensure that we start getting decent crowds again on Saturdays. Thanks are due to all those behind the scenes who have made this happen. There is now going to be lots of hard work required by both volunteers and others to get the ground up to scratch. Match days are also going to require lots of help going forward-I for one will be up for that and I’m sure many others will be as well.

I do have concerns about Meadow going forward-they’re still landlords and presumably they will still want to ultimately build on the land. Hopefully the difference now is that they know they’re being scrutinised very closely and they know that we as a club won’t roll over and die. We’ve also got the attention of local and national political figures. The next ambition has to be to get Meadow out of our club and ensure the future of Champion Hill as a football venue.

In the meantime, it’s a major step forward for the club and let’s enjoy it!

clog, darryl, blueheaven and 2 others like this.
  12. Xmotownx

Xmotownx Not a well known member

If we are actually back early Dec, I'm claiming as a Chaunakah miracle.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This was posted in the comments on the Buzz article. Anyone fancy responding there (and here)?

14. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

^ We had a lease on this land previously...

15. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

It's fairly clear that this is unlikely to be the end. The logical next step is for Meadow to bring forward a new development proposal. Until they do it - or steps are taken to limit public access - it's difficult to comment. I would suggest Southwark's lawyers will have surely been all over the agreement and are comfortable it is legal

I seem to remember the DHFC car park is identified in the local plan as a potential housing site. This may yet prove to be significant.

What seems clear is that the club was unlikely to survive at its current level in exile for too long. We have survived and are standing and are in a surprisingly strong position to be taken into consideration in any redevelopment. Note also Southwark have only temporatily withdrawn the threat of a CPO and have effectively reserved the right to act if certain conditions are not met.

It is also clear that the coalition of people and bodies that have supported our return will probably fracture if a redevelopment is submitted. The Friends of Green Dale probsbly won't back that. Sadiq Khan probably won't back anything that encroaches on MOL. Given the current economic climate would the local public support any resultant CPO? I know of a DHFC fan who was in a union / employer meeting when the union rep raised the issue of a potential £10m "to buy a football club":at a time of cutbacks.

This story probably isn't over but the club is still standing and part of the scenario. That's a pretty impressive achievement.

Must pop over to Kevin Rye's site to see what he has to say about such a successful bit of fan engagement......

16. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

It seems this person is referring mainly to the astroturf... who are "the other users" of the astroturf? Isn't it currently fenced off and unusable? And it was previously available for hire, so the idea that the public can't be charged for its use seems unlikely. If they're talking about its eventual use as a stadium - I'd think the fact that it's nowhere near big enough for an actual stadium to fit the club's needs would be the main hurdle to overcome, surely?

...which makes me wonder, not for the first time, what Meadow are actually hoping to realistically achieve. They must be as aware of the above as anyone. They're unlikely to get planning permission, a CPO may never happen, so they could be stuck as they are for a long time - why didn't they just accept the Rio Ferdinand offer and get themselves out of this when they could?

For what it's worth I agree that we shouldn't be building stadiums on MOL - I was uncomfortable with using my Trust membership to back that proposal last time; if the question came up again I'd vote against it, and in fact I'd vote against anything proposed by Meadow because they are unethical and untrustworthy.

Quick question on a slightly different topic: will Meadow be able to set the entry prices, impose their security guards etc as before? Basically, what's to stop them from interfering and squeezing the club and making the situation untenable all over again?

Harry R, iamwithnail and editor like this.
  17. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

The astro/Greendale is technically fenced off - It is along the footpath leading from behind the Toilets Opposite up to the Greendale cycle path which is also fenced (with an open gate, so is the area behind the flats also with an open gate at the corner of Sainsbury's. What there isn't is a self contained fence around the astro, hence it's shocking state.

With the club now receiving bar income, I presume the guards won't be needed any longer as their sole existence seemed to be to stop people bringing their own booze in and were quite useless at everything else. Hopefully the general manager got the heave ho too and won't be required when the club returns. The cleaner on £40k too.

18. Effra Eyes

Effra Eyes Well-Known Member

Already added to my playlist if my request for the 'ten songs for a tenner' on the first game back is granted..

iamwithnail likes this.
  19. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

No need to move it again lads - just leave it there as a lasting momento, thank you and reminder to your favourite neighbours ;)

20. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

PS I'll give you a fiver for it. Probably the profit we made on you guys sharing our lovely ground with us :D

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Lots of nice things were said about us on the Tooting forum :) especially the bit about attacking their stewards. Was that the fat one that attacked children or are they talking about another time?

22. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

Haha, long memories probably and I'm sure you will probably enjoy resuming usual hostilities. That said, do you think the pitch and general facilities are in a better or worse state than when you arrived? Maybe I was one of the few who felt it was absolutely the right decision to invite you guys in - and still do. It clearly wasn't about the money - and I'm sure you would agree we didn't strike a hard bargain.

My only regret is that the ground didn't get some of the much needed improvements as a result of our love-in.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  23. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

People, not me (obv) did some tidying up of the ground. The pitch seems in the same condition as when we arrived. Tooting the football club, however, seems in a far worse state, and that's nothing to do with us, and I'm sure you don't want or need my advice on how to improve things.

24. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

All a matter of perspective. The pitch is crap compared with this time last year and our lot don't drink enough to block up the urinals :facepalm:

B.I.G likes this.
  25. billbond

26. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

You'd be like that too if you had to travel to Egham and FC Romania to watch your team. Have some pity, please :hmm:

Forget the screaming masses:

[​IMG]

Official TMUFC

3 hrs ·
    PRESS RELEASE ISSUED TODAY BY TOOTING & MITCHAM UTD FC

"TOOTING AND MITCHAM UNITED FC WERE DELIGHTED TO HEAR THE NEWS THAT DULWICH HAMLET FC HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONCLUDE NEGOTIATIONS THAT WILL ALLOW THEM TO RETURN TO THEIR HOME, CHAMPION HILL. IT HAS BEEN A DELIGHT TO HOST THEM AT IMPERIAL FIELDS DURING THEIR ‘HOMELESS’ SPELL. TM UNITED’S DECISION TO SUPPORT DULWICH CAME FROM THE HEART AND GAVE US THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST ANOTHER CLUB DURING THEIR DIFFICULT TIMES. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN NON-LEAGUE CLUBS AND THEIR LOCAL COMMUNITIES ARE TOO EASILY LOST. I LIKE TO FEEL THAT BETWEEN OURSELVES AND DULWICH WE HAVE UNDERLINED THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS BOND

WE WISH DULWICH EVERY SUCCESS FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON AND WE WILL GIVE THEM SUPPORT WHEREVER THEY NEED IT IN THE FUTURE. WE HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF THEIR TIME AT IMPERIAL FIELDS"

STEVE ADKINS
    CHAIRMAN

Somebody still loves you :D. Time for the bond of animosity to resume - you know it makes sense.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  27. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It's one person, and one other backing him up. Let's not get drawn into a tit-for-tat slanging match. It doesn't mean "they're all scum", as those one or two individuals would have it.

PartisanDulwich, clog, 3010 and 3 others like this.
  28. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

Absolutely right Clouseau - some people are never happy. Give 'em Bostik South Central football and what do you get? Ungrateful buggers - I expect they'll all be complaining when we're watching Combined Counties football - any players fancy a loan for a month or two :rolleyes:

editor likes this.
  29. 59robbery

59robbery Active Member

Oh. And about that container! Try to move it again and we'll do you for trespass. Well that's what Meadow told us to say :D.

pompeydunc likes this.
  30. PartisanDulwich