Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

It's a weird one isn't it because although that does seem to be the plan, getting a new lease on the astroturf obviously doesn't get their new flats built, it just gets them a lease on a crappy old bit of astroturf.

It looks like all they have is trying the exact same approach again and hoping for a different outcome. And if the club did get back into Champion Hill during that process, I guess we could expect the same outcome again at the point where they're told (again) where to stick it.

Pink Panther likes this.
  2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

What annoys me is that they say "the club" should be given the lease for the astroturf, as if DHFC is on board with their plans. It's like Mugabe agreeing to "powersharing" with the MDC. It's just a nauseating political spin to keep the upper hand for themselves.

darryl likes this.
  3. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

its sad but i do know a few Dulwich fans on the maturer side who have not gone since the forced move.
    i think it is down to the "messing about" as they called it to travel there and possibly the extra expense.
    I do think a coach(s) may be a idea but i know this is not as easy as it sounds and also has its problems
    Just a idea.
    Also the ground must be getting in a right state now , when the club move back all this will have to be sorted out to prepare it for use again to get it up to a certain standard
    I wonder if meadow would allow some people in to possibly clean it up a bit every so often, surely in their interests as well.
    I know this obviously would involve talking with the bar stewards, maybe might even be able to talk a few around.
    I have not been back since the lock up dont even know if it is under security control.
    Also is the bar still being used ?
    The great thing with Dulwich for so many being a club in the inner city as such was the closeness of travel
    East Dulwich station especially loads of links and turn to your left nice minutes stroll in the little park and you are there.
    its all so sad
    Oh yes one other thing just throwing this out to see the reaction(personally i have never seen this mentioned) what would people feel if the club had to move out slightly if nothing could be found groundwise in the Dulwich area ?
    100% No, Maybe, possibly, long as its not too far out, as long as we have a club etc
    Personally i dont think it will happen, just wondered what others think
    Good post above as well Lucy Fur

blueheaven and Pink Panther like this.
  4. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Sorry if I'm being dense here, but if it's only a lease they're looking for and they don't actually want to buy the astroturf land, how can they include it in their development plans? And even if they can, I'm assuming it's been communicated to them that their proposed "stadium" for that land is unsuitable for the club's needs, so the club wouldn't want it anyway, which the council presumably know, so how can it possibly be used as any sort of bargaining chip? I just don't get what it's importance is to Meadow.

Is the astroturf pitch still actually used, or is it fenced off?

5. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Sorry for the multi-quotes below, just a few different thoughts on what you posted (great post incidentally)...

So there are fans who didn't even go to the play-off matches, just because the transport's a bit of a minor faff? That's so disappointing but unfortunately also not 100% surprising.

Got to be worth a try for a couple of home games, at least? I wonder if there's any chance a sponsor could help with the funding of this? Whatever happened to the discussions that were said to be happening with Adidas?

I thought the club had had a meeting with Meadow in September, but as far as I know nothing more has been said about this. Presumably, though, the condition of the ground is something that would have been discussed?

Personally I'd still go to as many matches as I could, provided the club was still playing in the general Southwark/Lewisham-ish area. But that would have to be absolute worst-case scenario. I've moved out of Dulwich to Sydenham now anyway, and I'm sure there must be a lot of other fans who come to matches from surrounding areas and don't all live in the immediate vicinity of Champion Hill, so it's not as if people aren't doing fiddly bits and pieces of travel anyway.

Question for those who know more about this than I do: could there be any opportunity to attempt to develop the ground currently used by Peckham Town, for the use of both clubs? I assume that land is owned by the council? I know it would be a big, expensive job, but is it something with any possibility as a long-term Plan B? The other place that springs to mind is the stadium in Crystal Palace Park, but presumably that's just too big to maintain and would involve an expensive rent?

6. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Good question...I'm no expert but it looks to me like they can't, as evidenced by the fact that they've already been told so once.

My best guess as to the thinking is that by renewing the lease on the astroturf they can at least keep together some semblance of the idea of the whole as a single site to be considered as one. If the astroturf is dug up and incorporated into Greendales then they've no chance. Looks like straw clutching to me though.

7. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

I know it was mentioned when the club was homeless.
    I walked past there yesterday and they had goal posts setup on the field.

8. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

It's in too poor condition to use, I think (can't find the news story that quoted Liam on it).

9. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    takkforalt likes this.
  10. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

11. DanBrown

DanBrown Active Member

Massive news this

12. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Well done to all involved .

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Does that mean no more Dip 'N' Flip :mad:

StephenMac likes this.
  14. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Nice one DHFC. Very pleased to hear this.

15. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

Great news. It would be great to be back for Torquay game on 1 Dec.........but they may have FA Cup commitments

16. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Fucking hell, the container has only just been moved.

blueheaven, Lyham and Pink Panther like this.
  17. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Back to Meat Liquor. Maybe they can introduce dipping gravy.

18. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

Party on the roundabout!

19. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Well done everyone who has worked tirelessly behind the scenes! Never thought I would be thanking a Tory!!!!! Strange world we live in!!!

20. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

I had a feeling as soon as we moved it.. it was only for a short time!!

On our way to EDT

scousedom likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fuck yes!

22. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

'king excellent. I think I should come to the first fixture back. Seriously delighted for all at DHFC. :thumbs:

Pink Panther likes this.
  23. EDC

""The new lease of Greendale would allow DHFC to use the AstroTurf pitch for all its sporting requirements including any match day use and such other community and sporting uses as DHFC may undertake from time to time."

Interesting.

24. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Obviously brilliant news, and well done everyone, but this, can someone confirm we will playing on our grass pitch?

EDC likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I hope so...

26. EDC

To the Dartford fan trying to impress his mates Saturday that if Dulwich charged £14 to get in they'd be able to pay the rent. Up yours.

B.I.G and darryl like this.
  27. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Do we need a combine harvester to cut the grass?

28. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

can’t wait. no more fuckkking trams.

29. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Well-Known Member

Birkbeck to East Dulwich on the train is 19 mins. We're back! That first home game back will be electric.

30. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

To be fair Birkbeck to Mitcham on the tram is also electric, albeit slightly longer than 19 minutes journey time.

darryl and Harry R like this.