Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MrFouldsy

MrFouldsy Active Member

Sir, I am not an "it".

Pink Panther likes this.
  2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

3. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

He’s Mister Final as well - and dresses exactly the same for both.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Nivag, Latahs and Lucy Fur like this.
  4. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Sorry, grammatical error. Edited.

5. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

Mr Hitler...

Who did he think he was kidding.....? :rolleyes:

6. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

You are Mr Fouldzi.

7. WillClunas

WillClunas Well-Known Member

is this thing on

8. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

The pitch gave way.

WillClunas and B.I.G like this.
  9. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

This just in from Campaign News

On the morning of our fundraiser against Crystal Palace FC, Southwark Council have issued the following statement regarding their negotiations with Meadow Residential:

Southwark Council has renewed its call to property developers, Meadow, to let Dulwich Hamlet FC back into its stadium at Champion Hill.

The request comes as the club continues to suffer as a result of being forced to play its home games in Tooting.

It is now over six months since Meadow shut DHFC out of their Champion Hill stadium ending 125 years of the club’s playing history in the East Dulwich area.

Cllr Johnson Situ, Cabinet Member for Growth, Development and Planning said: “It is entirely within Meadow’s gift to end this unhappy period in DHFC’s history and give them the prospect of continuing as a viable football club. Meadow kicked DHFC out of Champion Hill, they must now let them back in so that they can finish this season at their proper home.”

Meadow have said that they will only let the club back into Champion Hill if the council grant a lease to the club on the neighbouring astroturf at Greendale and commit to not pursuing a CPO. The Council does not think either is necessary for the club to return, but is prepared to do all it can to help break the deadlock, and so has today written to Meadow to confirm that there is no formal resolution for the CPO and to offer terms for the reoccupation of the astroturf.

Cllr Situ added: “We have responded positively to Meadow’s demands, now they must respond positively to the club and let them back in to Champion Hill. We remain ready and willing to talk to Meadow about any policy compliant planning application that they want to pursue at the site.”

So Meadow are persisting with their farcical idea that the club can build a stadium on the astroturf. They know that that is not going to happen. CPO now.

Pink Panther likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. Pink Panther

So basically the CPO - as it stands - is just a threat and is no closer to being implemented than when it was first suggested 6 months ago.

Does the club actually want a lease on the Greendale astroturf? It's useless in its current state and planning permission won't be given for building on it.

This just sounds like more bullshit and spoiling tactics from Meadow.

EDC and iamwithnail like this.
  12. Christian Burt

Christian Burt Well-Known Member

I don't trust anyone on Southwark Council to be honest.
    They've approved more gentrification for the Elephant & Castle (albeit on improved numbers of "affordable" (LOL) housing)

One of the worst offenders for turfing people out and moving the rich in.
    And yes, I know the central Government are bastards first and foremost, but Labour Councils in Lambeth and Southwark make me want to join Class War at times.

clog, sealion, Nivag and 5 others like this.
  13. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Absolutely.

I think the council have decided that from a PR point of view it's good for them to be supporting DHFC. From the point of view of a supporter that's obviously a good thing but it doesn't mean they're a good council or acting for good reasons.

14. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

To be fair to the council, their agreed procedure post-eviction was first to see if progress could be made in discussions with Meadow, then secondly if that reached deadlock to have an independent mediator appointed by the Minister for Sport, then thirdly, if there was still deadlock, the council would look to implement a CPO. I think we're now at the end of the first of these three steps, so perhaps the pressure now should be on the Westminster politicians to get a mediator in place asap.

pompeydunc, Lucy Fur and Pink Panther like this.
  15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

A cpo would take years, the priority has to be getting dhfc back at champion hill before that. I would wait to see what kind of lease we can get, if we get the bar money etc.

16. SaveDHFC

SaveDHFC New Member

Yes we are currently on step one. If step one fails we will be pushing for Westminster to move on step 2.

17. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

I think to Council is still doing all it can, The Council have limited options and the CPO is its last (if only) card and as stated would still take years to take effect, 2-3 at best

It's whether we can afford to stay away from Champion hill and the local community for 2 or 3 more years or try to negotiate a return, which would undoubtedly require compromises

That said, I would not like to see the Council give up a commitment to action a CPO if required - its the only thing Meadows are scared of

But I am sure like many things there are detailed negotiations going on which we are not party to and require confidentiality

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Pink Panther likes this.
  18. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

What? Lying, vindictive, bastard property developer wants it's opponents to make and keep promises? That's rich. How about the council promise not to CPO, Dulwich get back to playing at Champion Hill and then the council secretly CPOs the ground anyway!

How about us fans draw up a list of our terms for Meadow?
    (1) I'd like Bennison to attend a meeting with the fans and explain why they thought they would trademark the club's name and strangle it out of existence. Nobody believed the original condescending bollocks! What an arsehole!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  19. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Longer list needed

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    takkforalt likes this.
  20. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Been thinking about this a lot of late. In my opinion, it's highly unlikely we are going to see ourselves back at Champion Hill anytime soon. Meadows are in no hurry to progress things, they've probably already underwritten it with other projects and are happy to bide their time till they have a more sympathetic council. The council notoriously work slowly, and as for Crouch bringing in a mediator, I suspect that's pretty low down on her list of priorities at the moment. So what can we do in the meantime?

I suggest lets make the most of our exile at Imperial Fields. I first started coming to Champion Hill when I lived in Streatham. Our crowds were significantly lower then. Over a period of time a concerted effort was made to build up our fan base. We need to do that all over again, but targeting the area local to Imperial fields. Some ideas off the top of my head,

1. Free tickets to local schools to Imperial Fields.
    2. Discounted vouchers handed out at Mitchum Tram on a Thursday at rush hour for a dated game to try and get people local to Tooting and Mitcham interested in the game.
    3. Obviously no chance of having a train special, but what about a bus. Could we get TfL to run an express double decker from Champion Hill to the ground and back. They could keep the fares, but no one from the club would have the ball ache of organising / financing it. Maybe Catherine Rose could advise on who to speak to, maybe even her.

It strikes me that theres not much we can do in terms of Government / Council / Meadows at a grass roots level, that's for the Club / Committee / Trust to continue, but what we can do is maybe try to address the shortfall of people attending. Weve done it before, lets do it again, and not let Meadows put us out of business.

If people would like to get together and have a chat about this lets arrange a meeting and get active, probably under the "Save Dulwich Hamlet" banner.

Ev.

Pink Panther, Harry R, Ronco and 5 others like this.
  21. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Think we could be offering Hamlet shirt to local primary schools to put in their Christmas Fete raffles
    to keep our profile high

Northants Dal and Lucy Fur like this.
  22. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

No idea where I read it, but the general return rate on blind flyering is about 2%...

Much as I don't like our landlords I'm not too keen on the idea of encroaching onto their 'territory' by trying to nab fans. It's the sort of work THEY should be doing for THEIR games.

I think our efforts would be much better put into trying to get our lapsed fans to travel over, bringinga friend or two with them.

23. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

Half price admission to Dulwich residents?

24. Pink Panther

It's good to throw a few ideas around. Whether or not to promote ourselves in the Mitcham area is a difficult subject for me. It feels like settling in for the medium term, much like AFCW did at Kingsmeadow, which probably cost Kingstonian a generation of potential new supporters. I've no idea whether Tooting have any similar initiatives, and if not you could argue that it's not going to harm them if we reach out to potential supporters they're ignoring, but I think any such initiative would need to be done jointly by both clubs.

I bet we have picked up a few locals because we're playing at a higher level with a better standard of football than Tooting, and the much bigger crowds make it feel like a bigger occasion than an Isthmian D1 game in front of 200 or less. At the East Thurrock game two young-ish blokes walked out of the ground ahead of me and straight into one of the houses between the ground and the tramstop. They may be Tooting fans, they may just be curious locals, but it would be a surprising coincidence if they were regulars at Champion Hill before we were evicted.

The TFL express bus is a good suggestion and surely worth asking about.

Meadow are such devious and deceitful bastards I can't see them allowing us back in while they still control the ground. Ultimately I feel the CPO is our only hope of getting back there, and they'll try to delay that for as long as possible in the hope that the club will grow weaker in the meantime and opposition to them will diminish before they make another attempt to gain planning permission to redevelop the ground.

clog and iamwithnail like this.
  25. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

26. Lucy Fur

Good idea hackbridgeharry any thoughts?

27. Lucy Fur

28. blueheaven

Sorry - I edited because I noticed that Pink Panther had said the same thing as me about doing it jointly! But my point was basically that DHFC and TMUFC could perhaps look at promoting matches together, e.g, with posters around Mitcham showing all matches happening at the stadium in that month, rather than just promoting one of the clubs. I think that was the crux of it! :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Pink Panther and Lucy Fur like this.
  29. blueheaven

I'm a bit worried about the latest noises from the council in which they seem to be going along with some of Meadow's nonsense. If they go ahead with the whole "give us the Greendale lease and promise not to CPO us, and we'll let DHFC back in", will the council see that as a resolution to the issue? Because in my eyes what will then happen is: yes, we'll be back playing at Champion Hill which would be great, but we'd also be right back at the stage of living under landlords who will eventually revert to doing what they can to strangle the club and make life difficult. To me it seems totally untenable that the club could go back to playing at Champion Hill with Meadow still there.

There would also remain the issue of Meadow presumably still having the end goal of getting planning permission to build flats on the stadium... would the council soften to that idea if the problem seemed superficially resolved?

Also: for those of us who have got a bit confused by some of this, could someone provide a simple explanation as to why the lease of the Greendale astroturf is so important to Meadow and what they want it for?

DanBrown, Harry R, Nivag and 3 others like this.
  30. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

The astroturf was where they was going to build the new stadium, which would free up the current one for development.