Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

I'm still going back and forward with the guy on Twitter. I told him that the club has confirmed the new ground will have a bigger capacity, and asked if he will acknowledge that it's misleading to say otherwise. He responded by saying that plans for the ground haven't been submitted so nobody can make any guarantees. I asked him how, in that case, he can make the claim that the capacity will be smaller. He completely avoided the question and said he'd be "happy to meet and discuss our concerns". Just going round and round in circles. If anyone else would like to wade in and question him on this please do.

2. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  3. PartisanDulwich

First LibDems issue a leaflet without talking to anyone,
    Then they lecture us (and by implication suggest we are very naive
    now suggesting in tweets we (the supporters) will vote against any planning application because of "real concern about the direction now"

Getting really, really hacked off at being told what we do or do not think by LibDem politician's whos only concern is a by-election and making political mischief, not helping build consensus or cross party approach or cross community for that matter.

Need the supporters Trust (good statement yesterday) to keep ahead of this or they will try and divide us for the same petty self interest and short-term gain

blueheaven likes this.
  4. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Tory scum.

Cyclodunc, jamcrash and Scutta like this.
  5. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

This needs posting on the East Dulwich Forum. James Barber pretty much runs the bloody thing.

6. PartisanDulwich

Now Cllr Barber is claiming he met the Supporters Trust at the Community Council
    thus he know what they think

he has been asked on twitter, if he met people from the Trust, then he knows where we stand, so how could he and the LibDems have produced a leaflet suggesting strongly we opposed redevelopment / move to Green Dale

7. EDC

Cllr. Barber has a history of taking the credit for other people's ideas once popular opinion supports them, The East Dulwich Picturehouse and the proposed new east Dulwich School to name two examples.

He is also a bullshitter.

Saturday's article in the programme Hadley's Matt Rimmer stated that the documents for the proposals go live this week for the upcoming poll. I'm not sure if the local election falls before or after the Trust's poll results but there are a lot of untruths being spouted at present by one major party and the sooner these are corrected the better.

I doubt Cllr. Barber is even aware of the plans, I doubt he even saw the intials proposal displays in the clubhouse last season, I doubt he even attends Dulwich Hamlet matches unless there's a photo opportunity, the Maidstone match prior to the general election for example. I doubt he even knows about community football pitches being part of the development, pitches which will almost back right onto the new East Dulwich Charter School which he now champions (despite wanting Haberdashers by choice). Charter School North Dulwich has a single bog of a pitch at the back of Greendale, both schools would be able to use it. St.Anthony's hardly has a playground left after their recent development.

Finally, Southwark Council recently proposed plans to turn Greendale into a nice looking park, admittedly a new Football ground wasn't part of them but what better opportunity to turn the ugly wasteland into something safe and decent as well as a new community Stadium.

Cllr. Barber can then say it was all his idea.

8. festa

festa New Member

9. festa

festa New Member

Will they be supporting us if the Trust members vote to accept hadleys proposals? Will we be a great little community club then?

This opportunism from the Lib dems and greens has really wound me up. It's so transparent. Problem is that many people probably believe they do get involved in the club seeing them campaign of our backs, as many of the fans are new themselves.

Hamlet Pete and EDC like this.
  10. PartisanDulwich

I think the LibDems will opt to back the NIMBY's as they did with the Sainsbury's deal 25 years ago

what we need or should demand is cross party support for OUR plans

no party or politician get unique access or represents us
    They should support our plans on our terms or not at all

Presently, I have Greens and Labour awaiting plans and LibDems opposing building on Greendale and Tory candidate supporting (However not sure if thats the Tory Group line, certainly wouldn't be in Dulwich village ward - by previous sports facilitates like the Herne Hill cycling track)

11. PartisanDulwich

12. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

13. EDC

Scutta likes this.
  14. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

15. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

16. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I think what supporters will be asking now, as they already have been, is when the Trust will be issuing ballot papers for the poll.

AndyDHFC likes this.
  17. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

When are we going to see the detail on the proposal we'll be voting on is the first question.

18. Shadsy

Shadsy New Member

As it happens, I work for Ladbrokes, producing their election odds, so we've put some prices out for this by-election:

[​IMG]

Obviously, the Labour candidate is pretty much a certainty.

19. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="PartisanDulwich, post: 14150735, member: 60766]@Ben_V_Harrison @HadleyProperty Do you think they bought DHFC for £5.8M for the love of their football or for the ground?[/QUOTE]

He can't seem to differentiate between the club and the ground. They bought the ground first and could have just let the club fold under the debts incurred by the McCormack ownership, but then they bought the club and paid off its debts and are working to secure a new ground for DHFC. Even if the plans don't ultimately come to fruition, at least they appear to be making a genuine effort which must be costing a considerable amount of their time, money and resources.

With the amount of hot air Messrs Barber & Maitland are producing, we could probably harness enough green energy to sell back to the National Grid and pay off all those utility bills incurred under the McCormack regime.

20. PartisanDulwich

21. PartisanDulwich

Excellent article

Any good community politicians would be seeking "cross party" support not trying to divide people

Insulting our intelligence

3010 and EDC like this.
  22. Shadsy

Shadsy New Member

Just got back from the by-election hustings. Got to ask a question about the club, didn't really discover anything new. The greens and the (eccentric) independent are not likely to support any development.
    The rather unimpressive Labour candidate (who will still almost certainly win) fudged it; no evidence that she has any prior interest in the club. The LD we all know about. The Tory would be in favour of the plans.

Aside from that issue, the Green was clearly the best informed and convincing of the candidates on most other topics, although I won't be voting for her due to her understandable position on the club's plans.

23. PartisanDulwich

1. lib dem barber 8 oct 2015 dulwich hamlet.jpg

2. James Barber ‏@CllrJamesBarber 16m16 minutes ago
      @tomsearle @LondonNurse2015 @mrjamesportland @Ben_V_Harrison I'm baffled why you hate the current ground so much you want it destroyed?

View conversation
      0 retweets 0 favorites

3. [​IMG] James Barber ‏@CllrJamesBarber 17m17 minutes ago
      @tomsearle @LondonNurse2015 @mrjamesportland @Ben_V_Harrison proposal to build on our open space which will stop it being accessible to resi

4. [​IMG] James Barber ‏@CllrJamesBarber 53m53 minutes ago
      @tomsearle@mrjamesportland @Ben_V_Harrison do you live nr grd? Will you suffer consequences ea. day or just home matches?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  24. PartisanDulwich

Councillor Barber LibDem (East Dulwich) now stating why do Dulwich Hamlet fans hate the ground (see tweet above)

East Dulwich Strongly suggest the Supporters Trust meets councillors of all relevant parties together
    at the same time (and after the by-election)
    so not played off
    and agreed statement afterwards

25. PartisanDulwich

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  26. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

Do these guys understand that the club needs to move to a new home in order to grow - which is exactly what they'd previously claimed they wanted for the club?

I think it would be helpful if there was an explanation provided of exactly what the problems are with the current ground and why a new ground is desirable (aside from the fact that Hadley eventually want to build on it).

27. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It's clearly a waste of time attemting to reason with this bloke. If no one was ever allowed to build on open space we'd never have had a ground on the current site. Or the one on the proposed 'new' site that existed from 1912-1931. If Cllr Barber lives 'overlooking Greendale' as suggested by someone earlier in the thread, DHFC's residence in the vicinity must predate the building of his own home, on what was presumably open space at the time of its construction.

He seems like stereotypical politician who simply ignores any argument, however factual, that doesn't tally with his won preferences.

The open space isn't bloody accessible to residents. They can only get onto it through a gap in the broken fence. Does Cllr Barber only ever use amenities or attend events within a stone's throw of his home? I live opposite Crystal Palace Park - there are countless events there - athletics meetings, concerts, and next week a bloody great fireworks display that bring traffic, noise and congestion to the area. Although they sometimes irritate or inconvenience me I don't want them stopped, because people like attending them and enjoy them, and they have to take place somewhere.

AndyDHFC, Hamlet Pete and StephenMac like this.
  28. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

The guy seems like a complete dick (I know, what do you expect from a Lib Dem councilor etc). FWIW I agree with the article PartisanDulwich posted above - opposing the development is a perfectly reasonable position as much as we might not like it. But they can fuck off with the attempt to make out they're supporting the club.

Pink Panther and 3010 like this.
  29. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

dont expect any real support from this slippery evasive bastard,

30. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

We'll need a 3k ground at this rate.