1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Villager

Villager New Member

Obviously I am not suggesting that. And I have edited my post to reflect that.

2. Villager

Villager New Member

No I wish I knew why the Council is doing this now.

3. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

4. G Man

G Man Formerly of hard hat fame

I need to take a week off work to read all of this.

5. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

6. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Brilliant news, and well done to all that represented us, but what does this actually mean? Is it just a statement of good but hollow intent or an actual commitment to fiscal support?

Nivag, darryl and Cyclodunc like this.
  7. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

In truth, I'd say nobody knows...but it's got to be a good sign, and puts pressure on the American arm of Meadows to sort things out, I would have thought.

In the meantime...we desperately need the continued support for the "12th Man" fundraising, to keep the team together in the immediate future.

Nivag, Pink Panther and Lucy Fur like this.
  8. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Agreed

9. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Agreed too.

Those of us who were able to stay to the end of the Council Assembly ended up having a chat with Peter John and other Councillors. I have no doubt at all of his genuine commitment (and that of other Councillors) to help and support the club.

How that might manifest itself in practical terms is not entirely clear yet because the situation with Meadow, and other related issues, are complicated. The key thing I think, for now, is that the club and its future will be in the front and centre of any considerations the Council may have when deciding on how best to proceed.

iamwithnail, Pink Panther and Fingers like this.
  10. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I'd think the main thing the council can do to help is make clear that they will never, ever get planning permission to build on the land should the football club fold. I don't know if they can make any formal commitment to that effect but I think that's what we should be pushing for. I wouldn't necessarily expect direct funding but that would be potentially more important IMO.

Pink Panther likes this.
  11. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

I suspect such a public statement would cause the council a world of pain ( you need legal grounds to block a planning application and councillors can be held personally liable under some circumstances.) Also any councillor supporting such a statement would probably be disqualified from dealing with any future planning application on the grounds they had previously expressed an opinion.

The council can unofficially make this clear to developers. Out my way I hear whispers the local council told developers hoping to build on the then Alton Town FC ground they wouldn't get permission for anything if the club weren't looked after.

The other route is for the council to review their policies and see if any can be tightened up to help give them legal grounds to block future development on the current ground.

Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.
  12. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

But I, for one, would welcome the right development built on our current ground if the end result was new, modern, purpose-built community ground on the Greendale wasteland.

13. dcdulwich

Southwark is nearing the end of the process to update the New Southwark Plan which describes in some detail what is and isn’t permissible across the borough. In the latest version the football pitch and surrounding facilities are defined and protected in their current form.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Fingers likes this.
  14. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Such action from the council wouldn't necessarily block that. It gives the Council stronger legal grounds for blocking development they aren't happy with.

Given the serious possibility that Meadow could land bank the ground at the end of the lease, I'd be happy to see protection reviewed as part of the local plan re-assessment. That level of protection in the local plan is very important in what may loom.

Failure to have an adequate local plan is seriously good news for developers.

darryl likes this.
  15. dcdulwich

Here is the latest version. See pp208-209 and the final bullet point on p204:
    https://www.southwark.gov.uk/assets/attach/5294/NSP CAR Appendix A(i) NSP Policies.pdf

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017