1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Slippery, offshore tax avoiding bastards. Shame on them.

2. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

The land is only worth anything like that amount IF you can sick a shot load of flats on it.
    Hope we can get the ground back somehow - any chance of a CPO from Sowthwark? :)

3. mick mccartney

mick mccartney Well-Known Member

this october 2014 sale is , i assume , from the time when we were going broke for unpaid electricity bills , etc . so the only way Nick MaCormack could raise money for that was to sell the whole ground ? £5.7M to cover the bills ?

4. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Doubt it, *unless* Southwark have a development partner and a plan of their own up their sleeves, but even then I'm sure they'd rather see Meadow just go quietly.

5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Nick McCormack didn't own the ground. The previous owners/landlords went into administration, and that's how Hadley got involved.

6. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Think they'd rather see Dulwich Hamlet go quietly, the local council will do nothing for us, we're just a problem that they would like to disappear without causing them too much aggravation.

mrs quoad likes this.
  7. darryl

According to this old post from Dulwich Mishi - Tony's Non-League Forum: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion: Champion Hill targetted by developers? - the ground was owned by DHPD Ltd, which collapsed into administration. The final administrators' report (under "filing history" here: DHPD LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)) refers to the ground being sold as part of that process.

8. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

I categorically don’t think this is true (re the Council) and I’m certainly in a better position to judge.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Pink Panther and EDC like this.
  9. cambelt

I hope you're right but my experiences with local govt don't fill me with much confidence, and all we've had so far is a few empty words and then silence.

10. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

So who received the £5.75m in 2014?

mrs quoad likes this.
  11. dcdulwich

Simply not true. We’ve had very strong support from the Leader of the Council with specific words on which he can (if necessary) be judged.

I don’t think you should or can infer from their lack of contemporary comment that Southwark “will do nothing for us” or “would like [us] to disappear”.

Pink Panther and EDC like this.
  12. cambelt

Think we're going to need stronger support than one sentence on twitter. Bottom line is they can't really do anything and should probably admit it. If Meadows go for the scorched earth policy the councillors will just reclassify the derelict land in a few years (probs after a mystery fire on the premises), take a massive bung, and live happily ever after. That's how big property deals kind of work, and Southwark's recent track record concerning large property developments hardly inspires confidence does it.

13. dcdulwich

Actually its recent record on big property deals is that they are seeking 50% affordable and are getting well above 40%.

And (ffs) I’m really not talking about “one sentence on twitter”.

Mate, I’m a very patient person normally but you’re talking shite from a position of close to zero knowledge and I don’t understand to what end.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  14. cambelt

How do you know that, really how do you? And I take it you are referring to big property deals such as the Heygate development? My point is that, in my opinion, there is absolutely no chance of Southwark Council charging in on a white horse and saving the day, and to think that this is going to happen is really naive. The club has to pursue avenues that aren't reliant on blind faith based on tweets and East Dulwich Forum posts from local councillors. You seem to have some kind of special insight into this so could you give me a bit more detail into what exactly the council are planning to do, then I might defer to your superior intellect and shut up. Promise.

15. dcdulwich

You were the one who first mentioned “big property deals” and no, I’m not talking about the Heygate development. The contract for that was signed about 8 weeks after Labour was returned to power in Southwark after eight years in opposition. That’s more than seven years ago, so hardly recent.

Believe me, as many others will attest, I don’t have a superior intellect. I am however, in a position to call you and your muck-spreading out, based on a better knowledge of the situation. That’s all.

mrs quoad likes this.
  16. cambelt

Ok, call me out then and then tell me exactly what Southwark could do to rectify the situation for the club.

17. crocustim

crocustim Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot for a football ground that doesn't make any money. They must be stupid.

Maj. Tom Laser and mrs quoad like this.
  18. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

We're all passionate about saving the Club, I am sure everyone is reaching out to any contacts in a positions of power and influence, from the Committee, Supporters Trust, Gavin etc and I know individuals are doing likewise, (unfortunately my contacts are very limited) unlike dcdulwich who I am sure will be busy in the background lobbying for the club, no one person has a wand, but can assure you dcdulwich is equally as passionate and committed and knows what he’s talking about.

Do I personally think Southwark Council will on this occasion step up to the plate - yes I do (for various political and community reasons) - do I think that will resolve our substantial issues with Meadow's - No

19. darryl

20. PartisanDulwich

Certainly don't see Southwark Council wanting to take over the Club - fingers burnt with Save Fisher campaign in the 80's

But believe they can be strong with Meadow re what the future holds for planning etc

The problem is with our foes monitoring this site, probably unwise to have a full debate on options available

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Get thee to t'other forum!

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  22. PartisanDulwich

23. dcdulwich

Thanks PartisanDulwich. I just think it’s best to leave off kicking the Council until they’ve actually let us down or stood by and done nothing. My view is that they won’t and that is not just based on naive optimism - although as a Hamlet fan I do have a natural tendency in that direction of course.

darryl likes this.
  24. Villager

Villager New Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  25. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

What is your explanation for the council opposing this development then?

26. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Surely that's down to the Dulwich Estate being a law unto themselves though?

YTC and Pink Panther like this.
  27. Villager

Villager New Member

Up to a point. It still had to go through the Council.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  28. Villager

Villager New Member

I wish I knew

29. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

So you've got no real basis for your coments, just your own personal supposition?

30. dcdulwich

That’s quite a serious accusation you appear to be making regarding a particular Planning Committee decision.

If you are suggesting that the Labour Councillors were whipped into voting for a particular decision on a quasi-judicial body - which you appear to be - that would be illegal.

If you’re not suggesting that, you might care to adjust your phrasing to make it absolutely clear.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.