1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champion Hill: Proposed Ground Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Flamingo Park is hardly green belt - Mayor protecting land for boot fairs and dogging!?

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

The danger is that Greendale looks much the same right now!

3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

It is slightly different though, in that our application isn't totally on Greenbelt/Metropolitan Open Land...

4. Jimbob73

When are we likely to hear any news?

5. Dulwich Mishi

With planning applications it really is 'wait and see'. Once an actual date has been set then we shall publicise it the club website & other strands of our social media; as well on the independent forums like this.

6. Chris K

Chris K Member

Hi all. Long time lurker here - seen there's been little update on progress so I've done some digging on the Southwark and GLA websites. Looks like the GLA have given the scheme a general thumbs up (including, crucially, the 'principle' of building on the MOL), but there's concerns about the level of affordable housing, and some other issues.

Ultimately most things can eventually be overcome once the principle of development is agreed, so looks like we're onto a winner.

No idea how long Southwark could take to make a decision though - they might want to go back to the drawing board with the developer re the AH which could take some time.

Attached Files:

3010 likes this.
  7. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Exactly what I heard the other day too.

8. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Well I am genuinely surprised. But potentially very good news. i think we'd all feel better about this though if the amount of affordable housing was increased. I've always felt the proposal is solid if built on three pillars: a sustainable fan owned future for the club; enhanced public green space; and much needed and affordable housing.

9. Dulwich Mishi

To be brutally honest.....the amount of 'affordable housing' won't make me feel better or worse. The only thing that will 'make me feel better' is when we are in a brand new modern, sustainable stadium, hopefully as a fan-owned Club.

10. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

Considering "affordable" housing is considered to be £450,000 according to the Tories, surely you can still make a huge profit on it anyway! Social housing is dead.

11. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Yes, good point. The whole affordable housing Schtick is bollocks given the state of the housing market. We need proper social housing. I was bought up in a terrace on a private 60s estate on the edge of Nottingham. Garden, three bedrooms, good local schools. Great place to grow up. You can still buy those houses for 120k. We need to build on London's green belt. Or at least the worthless bits.

12. Noss

Noss Well-Known Member

It's the conversion of brownfield sites like Battersea Power Station to exclusively top end (and ultimately offshore) property that's the issue. Much rather this was addressed rather than eating into green belt, however you define it. Another fucked up Boris legacy.

13. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Not sure about that. Recently received notification about a proposed LB Southwark development on an old garages plot on Bassano Street SE22 that, so far as I can tell, will be 100% "Council" housing.

14. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

so far, til it goes through.

although still tiny amount i bet compared to the Heygate and Aylesbury

call me cynical

15. Jimbob73

Any sign of any news on this?

16. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Not yet I'm afraid

17. Dulwich Mishi

To be honest...it's in the hands of the council....it really is a case of just waiting until they announce the actual date of the Planning Meeting.

Scutta likes this.
  18. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

As Mishi said, waiting on the council. The Trust have made some very positive contributions regarding stadium design changes & I am sure there are lots of discussions about how to get the level of "affordable" housing increased.

Scutta likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think you need bigger quotation marks for

[​IMG]affordable[​IMG]

Scutta and darryl like this.
  20. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Well we all know what is deemed as affordable in East Dulwich will be nothing of the sort for most of us.

Scutta likes this.
  21. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

An update from the DHST ground redevelopment subcommittee:

As we get closer to Southwark’s planning committee, it’s more and more important that all of us keep the pressure on. As is the case with major applications like this, the Council will take on board all comments right up until a week or so before the meeting so keep writing in if you haven’t done so! Now the Councillors are back from their summer holidays, it would be good to remind them that we are still here and we’re still campaigning hard for the club’s secure future in East Dulwich.

The Trust have continued to speak with Hadley and, as mentioned in the post above, we recently went with Liam from the Football Committee, to meet Hadley to discuss the application in more detail following analysis of the comments submitted with our poll earlier this year. We were keen to impress on them that whilst a new ground is essential, it must first and foremost meet our needs. The meeting was really positive and they took our comments, suggestions and feedback on board.

Following the grant of planning permission, technical design will still allow for a number of internal amendments. This will ultimately impact on the way we as supporters will all use the ground so we're seeking early engagement now to make sure all those using the facilities in the future are in a comfortable and well-designed environment.

liamdhfc likes this.
  22. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Might be useful if someone could provide a standard reply, which people could adapt. Or bullet points people could draw upon; plus a list of people to send it to? Need only be short.

A lot hangs on this.

23. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

See this page on the DHST website which was set up in anticipation of our own poll, and in particular this page which provided a template for writing to Southwark Planning but can be adapted to suit those who you might wish to approach to garner support. In terms of who you should write to then we would encourage you to write to Southwark Planning and any councillors, groups and associations that you can think of.

24. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Cheers. Just the job.

25. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

How's Doris?

26. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

On the mend, thanks. I hope to bring her to the game on Saturday.

Attached Files:

darryl and Scutta like this.
  27. all to nah

all to nah Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my copy of Joe K book. That's why I've just finished Dave Roberts new book Home And Away. I've read all his books (if there're five of them) and really like his style of writing.

But I think I have to invite him to Champion Hill one time. He has mentioned the mighty Hamlet three times. First as an example for the poor past of his club (p. 43) and two times as "hipster darlings" (p.175 & 290). I can only forgive him, because Col and his Two Footed Tackle fanzine do play a big part in this book about their first season in the conference.

28. Joe K

Joe K no al calcio con orchestra di ukulele

Sorry mate. I do think foreign deliveries take a bit longer, but that's quite some wait.

all to nah likes this.
  29. YTC

YTC Human Man

30. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator