Chair design

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by ringo, May 1, 2015.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I've stopped telling guests how comfy it is 'cos once they've sat in it they won't get off :D

bubblesmcgrath, blossie33 and Crispy like this.
  2. ringo

That's a lovely chair. Is it Scandinavian or UK/G Plan?

I like how broad a lot of 20th Century Scandinavian design/style furniture was, they feel quite generous. There seems to have been a movement towards very large furniture by some designers, I'm about to inherit my Uncle's sideboard and it's over two metres long.

A bit like this:
    vintage_Mid_twentieth_century_teak_sideboard_credenza.JPG

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  3. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Not sure of the chairs origin. Might be Danish. I got a load of really good nick gplan units from charity shops. This kind of stuff:

[​IMG]
    All solid teak. Antiques of the future.

bubblesmcgrath and ringo like this.
  4. ringo

They are great design and extremely functional, and still at the stage where you can find them cheap if you look hard enough even though in trendy shops they're fetching quite big money.
    We've got an Astro from Mrs R's Gran too:
    astro-coffee-table-by-victor-wilkins-for-g-plan-1960s-6.jpg

They used to be about £40 but I've just noticed they've shot up in the vintage shops to over a grand! :eek::eek:
    Google

5. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Love this folding chair by giancarlo piretti

23c788b092be81eb43363c9be53af46f.jpg

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

[​IMG]
    very partial to this little gem

7. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I picked one of those up for £90! The shop had two.. But I don't have any storage.

8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Looks like Ercol.

9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Need a proper computer chair to stop me ruining myself. Thinking of this Herman Miller SAYL:

herman-miller-sayl-chair-domestic-p398-627_image.jpg

SAYL-gallery002_PD_640x480px.jpg

Anyone got/used one? Is it worth it (it's a lot of money for me). Or are there better options for this price/lower?

10. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

11. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

I love Radio 4 for it's documentaries about odd stuff like this. I also really like these chairs, they are genuinely comfortable and useful. I imagine a lot of similar designs are made - probably by unnamed design teams in Chinese factories - but market forces pushed one or two designs to the top of the heap.

AnnO'Neemus, ringo and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  12. ringo

That's a nice looking chair, no idea about comfort. We have one of these Eames copies, pretty good for about that price:
    eamesoffice.jpg
    Abbey Medium Back Leather Office Chairs

13. ringo

I got one of these from a mate recently who didn't have room for it for £20. Muira 'shark mouth' bar stool.

muira.jpg

Fez909 and quimcunx like this.
  14. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I complained about the high-backed version of this upthread. They're uncomfortable because you can't adjust the backrest tilt. Also the arms are too high.

There are 7 of us in this office room. There are 6 of those chairs. 5 of them are used as coat hangers.
    EDIT: And the other one is being sat on by the newbie. She'll realise soon enough.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  15. ringo

I missed that. Mrs R uses it every day, no complaints about the angle. She sits at a dining table so no low desk issues with the arms but that woud be annoying.

16. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I ended up getting one, and I'm sitting in it now.

Really comfortable, looks great, too. Mine's in red, which wouldn't have been my choice, but there was a brand new one on eBay for nearly 50% off the shop price, so I couldn't turn that down.

:)

ringo likes this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Wow, you got a good deal there! Have you seen the shop price?

18. ringo

Yes, was well pleased with that, and a few mates were gutted they weren't quicker off the mark.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Fez909 likes this.
  19. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

They'll start talking about you behind your back, and calling you "furniture boy" or some such. :)

ringo likes this.
  20. ringo

I might give up my boring IT job to buy and sell furniture, so that could be a good thing :)

Fez909 and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  21. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Fuck - my mum had one of those tables. She died in 2015, and I gave all her furniture (most of which was crap) to a charity, including that table. I had no idea it was worth anything at all, never mind a bloody grand!

22. ringo

Shame, they're lovely. They were antiques and collectibles of the future for at least a decade but now they've really becoming desirable.

23. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Hopefully the childrens hospice I gave it to realised it's value and made some decent money out of it.

ringo likes this.
  24. Leafster

Leafster Nurturing green fingers

I had something similar happen when my mum died. Even though we had someone come in to value the house contents they didn't attach any value to the G-Plan and Ercol furniture. They did say there were some nice pieces but they weren't worth anything.

I attempted to give them to charity as none of the family wanted them but even the charities turned their noses up at most of the pieces and said they couldn't sell them!

In the end, an urbanite had one piece and a friend took the bureau just like the one Idaho posted above. I've kept the Ercol dining table and chairs as I hated the idea of them being thrown away.

25. bubblesmcgrath

Grew up with lots of g plan furniture. Hated it in the 80's /90'but now I love it. It's really well built and looks very good in a modern setting. I have the sideboard, table and chairs, book shelves, wall presses. I also have a sitting room suite made Crannac, an Irish company.....originally it was covered in bright orange tweed. I'm getting it reupholstered by a friend..Bought a huge amount of oatmeal coloured tweed on eBay a few years ago for £30.... with that suite in mind..
    . It should look very well when finished.
    My dad never threw anything out..thankfully.

Another find I got about 15 years ago...is a German adjustable work stool from the thirties....its unusual because it has a back too.... I gave it to my dad. I recently saw one similar for $500 online.
    Got it for €20.... and that after a haggle. I'll see if I can get a photo of it next time I'm in his workshop...

26. strung out

strung out (",)

We have these chairs in one of our campus libraries. They're uncomfortable and horrendously ugly, but someone decided that they'd be worth spending a fortune on after the refurbishment :)

Capture.PNG

27. bubblesmcgrath

What.....are ...they made of?

28. strung out

strung out (",)

Orange

AnnO'Neemus, Winot, Fez909 and 3 others like this.
  29. bubblesmcgrath

Lol...
    They look like they are made from Austin Powers ...

albionism and Enviro like this.
  30. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

They're made of Judith Chalmers.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.