Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chair design

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
My two at home. The Eames is a much cheaper copy, but a pretty good one.

Charles Eames chair & ottoman

Danish swivel chair, I forget the make

ringo

I downloaded the plans to make a copy of one these, but then read that every time you sit in it you bang your ankles on the cross beam. Gerrit Rietveld's Red-Blue chair is considered a design classic, but I reckon it shouldn't be because it doesn't have the function to match the beauty of its design.

two sheds

Least noticed poster 2007
I have a pew, probably a Methodist one :)

One thing you notice immediately about pews is how uncomfortable they are - you're not intended to get comfy and fall asleep in them.

ringo

I have a pew, probably a Methodist one :)

One thing you notice immediately about pews is how uncomfortable they are - you're not intended to get comfy and fall asleep in them.
I have a short black oak bench I inherited from my Granny. I've known it all my life and nobody has ever sat on it for more than 5 minutes :). Nobody else wanted it when she died either.

Mogden

I like tea
I'm keen on having an Eames with ottoman but I'd want an original cos I'm fussy like that. Currently trying to source a French leather club chair but as their popularity has shot up, I'm looking at 600 for a battered one and a grand for a worn but decent one.

ringo

I'm keen on having an Eames with ottoman but I'd want an original cos I'm fussy like that. Currently trying to source a French leather club chair but as their popularity has shot up, I'm looking at 600 for a battered one and a grand for a worn but decent one.
I knew I couldn't justify an original. Maybe one day, but tbh my copy is so close it doesn't bother me. I went and sat on an original one in a shop and couldn't feel any difference. If it's important to you then it it matters though, fair enough, I'm like that with records.

ringo

I've got a Corbusier chaise longue.
It was between one of these in plain black or the Eames. The Eames is more practical for everyday use and doesn't take up half the room so I went with that, but one day I'll get a chaise.

Mogden

I like tea
I knew I couldn't justify an original. Maybe one day, but tbh my copy is so close it doesn't bother me. I went and sat on an original one in a shop and couldn't feel any difference. If it's important to you then it it matters though, fair enough, I'm like that with records.
It's just cos if I'm gonna have an Eames, I should HAVE an Eames. Very few others will know but I will. I like that I mix & match new with the older for a more eclectic look but I am fussy. I'm still searching for the perfect sofa which is roughly a 2 and a half seater oxblood Chesterfield with proper legs, not bun feet. Must be old and already bum dimpled. It's only been about 3 or 4 years since I started looking. Fabric Laura Ashley sofas are looking good cos now the heating is done, I'm antsy for sofa as I don't currently have one.

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
Gerrit Rietveld's Red-Blue chair is considered a design classic, but I reckon it shouldn't be because it doesn't have the function to match the beauty of its design.
A friend at uni made one. Possibly the least comfortable chair in the world.

Can't beat the Poang, IMO. I have a piece of MDF strapped to the arm of mine as a mouse mat and drinks table :)

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
This thread sounds like coffee break at the (mad) interior designers were I used to work, when a new catalogue arrived.
One partner had done a lot of true/actual furniture design and build, so his comments were always interesting.

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
My boss has a great eye for good looking but impractical chairs.

These in the meeting room. Brno by Mies van der Rohe. They weigh half a ton and have sharp edges so are impossible to move without standing up.

PD_7380_MAIN.jpg

These in the office:
aria-ah1-high-back-classic-office-chair-in-ribbed-leather-with-chrome-detail-3-p.jpg

ooh, Italian leather. But the armrests don't fit under the desks, and the back doesn't recline independently of the seat. Half the staff (myself included) hang on to their £30 Argos chairs because they're more comfortable. I hang my coat on the back of my fancy chair.

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
I used to have a set of 6 Mies van der Rohe dining chairs as well.

All copies of course.
A venue I worked at when I was running events had some of those. You have to be careful not to lean forward too far or they slide out from underneath you. They matched the building though.

ringo

Been having a bit of a rage about these shitbuckets which have just been dumped in the foyer of my work.

I hate them, they look fucking hideous. They're uncomfortable and unyielding. The sides are so close you can't move your arms, it's like sitting in a straight jacket. I bet they cost a fortune. They are the colour of shit. They fail in both design and function. They are an insult to chairs.

There is a whole list of people from the 'designer' all the way to the dick in Properties and Facilities who paid for them that need killing with fire and having TWAT written on their gravestones in comic sans.

shitchair.jpg