1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chair design

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by ringo, May 1, 2015.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I've got a bit of a thing for chairs, must have got it from my Dad, who used to run a furniture shop.

One day I'll find one of these in a little second hand shop (cross fingers)

Wegner CH28T Sawhorse Chair

[​IMG]

2. ringo

My two at home. The Eames is a much cheaper copy, but a pretty good one.

Charles Eames chair & ottoman

[​IMG]

Danish swivel chair, I forget the make

[​IMG]

3. ringo

Two affordable chairs we have at home:

Ikea Poang. Cheap as chips - great design, very comfortable, a great chair.

[​IMG]

Eames rocker

[​IMG]

Fez909 likes this.
  4. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

do you have any spoons?

and that rocker looks lethal.

<scarpers to armchair

5. ringo

I downloaded the plans to make a copy of one these, but then read that every time you sit in it you bang your ankles on the cross beam. Gerrit Rietveld's Red-Blue chair is considered a design classic, but I reckon it shouldn't be because it doesn't have the function to match the beauty of its design.

[​IMG]

6. ringo

I love my spoons :D. The rocker is safer than it looks, but needs a sheepskin or similar to be very comfy.

two sheds likes this.
  7. ringo

Art nouveau side chair by Hector Guimard. 1900

[​IMG]

clicker likes this.
  8. two sheds

I have a pew, probably a Methodist one :)

One thing you notice immediately about pews is how uncomfortable they are - you're not intended to get comfy and fall asleep in them.

ringo likes this.
  9. ringo

I have a short black oak bench I inherited from my Granny. I've known it all my life and nobody has ever sat on it for more than 5 minutes :). Nobody else wanted it when she died either.

two sheds likes this.
  10. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I'm keen on having an Eames with ottoman but I'd want an original cos I'm fussy like that. Currently trying to source a French leather club chair but as their popularity has shot up, I'm looking at 600 for a battered one and a grand for a worn but decent one.

ringo likes this.
  11. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I've got a Corbusier chaise longue.

[​IMG]

I used to have a set of 6 Mies van der Rohe dining chairs as well.

[​IMG]

All copies of course.

clicker, quimcunx and ringo like this.
  12. ringo

I knew I couldn't justify an original. Maybe one day, but tbh my copy is so close it doesn't bother me. I went and sat on an original one in a shop and couldn't feel any difference. If it's important to you then it it matters though, fair enough, I'm like that with records.

Mogden likes this.
  13. ringo

It was between one of these in plain black or the Eames. The Eames is more practical for everyday use and doesn't take up half the room so I went with that, but one day I'll get a chaise.

14. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

It's just cos if I'm gonna have an Eames, I should HAVE an Eames. Very few others will know but I will. I like that I mix & match new with the older for a more eclectic look but I am fussy. I'm still searching for the perfect sofa which is roughly a 2 and a half seater oxblood Chesterfield with proper legs, not bun feet. Must be old and already bum dimpled. It's only been about 3 or 4 years since I started looking. Fabric Laura Ashley sofas are looking good cos now the heating is done, I'm antsy for sofa as I don't currently have one.

ringo likes this.
  15. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

A friend at uni made one. Possibly the least comfortable chair in the world.

Can't beat the Poang, IMO. I have a piece of MDF strapped to the arm of mine as a mouse mat and drinks table :)

ringo likes this.
  16. ringo

According to a Radio 4 programme I once heard, this is the most successful chair design in history. Nobody knows who designed it, but millions have been made. When I was in west Africa I rarely saw anything else.

[​IMG]

17. ringo

Bistro chair

[​IMG]

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  18. two sheds

My Bauhaus comfy chair :cool:

[​IMG]

19. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Rubbish for toddlers :D

ringo likes this.
  20. Fez909

Fez909 um...

The most comfortable chair I've ever sat in. You can sleep in it :)

[​IMG]

Tankus, clicker and ringo like this.
  21. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

This thread sounds like coffee break at the (mad) interior designers were I used to work, when a new catalogue arrived.
    One partner had done a lot of true/actual furniture design and build, so his comments were always interesting.

ringo likes this.
  22. ringo

Designed to stack and be just uncomfortable enough to make you eat your dinner quickly. And to make an ear splitting noise when dragged across the floor :)

23. Crispy

My boss has a great eye for good looking but impractical chairs.

These in the meeting room. Brno by Mies van der Rohe. They weigh half a ton and have sharp edges so are impossible to move without standing up.

PD_7380_MAIN.jpg

These in the office:
    aria-ah1-high-back-classic-office-chair-in-ribbed-leather-with-chrome-detail-3-p.jpg

ooh, Italian leather. But the armrests don't fit under the desks, and the back doesn't recline independently of the seat. Half the staff (myself included) hang on to their £30 Argos chairs because they're more comfortable. I hang my coat on the back of my fancy chair.

ringo likes this.
  24. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

A venue I worked at when I was running events had some of those. You have to be careful not to lean forward too far or they slide out from underneath you. They matched the building though.

ringo likes this.
  25. ringo

Been having a bit of a rage about these shitbuckets which have just been dumped in the foyer of my work.

I hate them, they look fucking hideous. They're uncomfortable and unyielding. The sides are so close you can't move your arms, it's like sitting in a straight jacket. I bet they cost a fortune. They are the colour of shit. They fail in both design and function. They are an insult to chairs.

There is a whole list of people from the 'designer' all the way to the dick in Properties and Facilities who paid for them that need killing with fire and having TWAT written on their gravestones in comic sans.

shitchair.jpg

stockwelljonny likes this.
  26. ringo

A lovely fully reclining mid 20th century Norwegian Skoghaug leather chair I found in in the street.
    skoghaug.jpg

27. Crispy

What a find!

28. ringo

Most comfortable chair I've ever sat in :)
    20161113_192627.jpg

29. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Brilliant!
    Looks SO comfortable.

ringo likes this.
  30. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Got a second hand one like this recently. Was about £100 and needs sanding and re varnishing and new cushions. Halfway through the refurbishment...
    [​IMG]

kazza007 likes this.