Centrepoint Building - luxury flats scheme gloriously backfires

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by lenny101, Jan 11, 2007.

1. lenny101

lenny101 On the Rock & Roll

I cycle past this monstrosity most mornings and it has to be the worst building in London. The building turns a slight breeze into a force 5 gail almost blowing me off my bike. I think it’s a listed building but surely this doesn't stop them from sorting out the bit where it meets the floor. Also, that fountain! FFS, I wish this building would be knocked down.

Deep breath, deep breath.

Rant over.

2. Utopia

Utopia "Jackanackanory"

Its a handy landmark though! :p

3. toggle

toggle wobbly

fountains are definately listed. The current management have been trying to find ways to get round that and get rid of them for ages.

4. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Well-Known Member

There used to be a rumour that MI5 occupied the top floors (or reserved them) just in case there was serious civil disorder in central London and they would be able to monitor the streets from there. Probably bollocks.

5. toggle

toggle wobbly

it is bollocks.

my partner used to do security for the building.

6. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Well-Known Member

I expected so.

7. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

There are big plans for the ground floor areas at centrepoint. All to do with upgrading TCR tube station. Let me see if I can dig it up...

8. It has a nice Japanese/Korean supermarket ( which is called Centre Point Food store) though at street level.

and an excellent sushi restaurant above the supermarket which you access via the supermarket. Most of the people eating sushi there are Japanese which is a good sign. Best edaname in London IMO.

9. toggle

toggle wobbly

there's also a thriving drugs market round the back, or at least there always used to be.

10. dash

dash New Member

MI5 occupied one of the floors in Euston Tower until 1994, so maybe the rumour just migrated southwards to Centrepoint.

11. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

Didn't the building lie empty for years and years?

12. Crispy

Ah yes, it's all to do with Crossrail. Looks like the fountains will be got rid of.
    New bus stops under the 'podium' part of the building. New open space. Loads of new stuff underground. Fully wheelchair accessable. Full report here
    [​IMG]

13. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

i went to a club there a couple of times, but was very drunk and remember nothing.

Except that the band i was 'working with' got into a fight, dragged me into it and i got thrown out and punched.

:(

14. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful, slim, angled, rippling buildilng by Seifert.

The junction at its base need some serious pedestrianisation, though. Always been a problem 'cos apparently it's the junction of Camden Council and Westmisnter, and they can't agree.

15. dash

dash New Member

Has anyone visited the weird little pool/snooker club in the subway underneath the front of Centrepoint?

16. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

Wasn't it the top floor? Rented to a comapny that went bust every two months and changed its name:D. Very Harry Palmer.

17. toggle

toggle wobbly

himself did.

The club is pretty nice, but there are some well dodgy and quite dangerous characters that like to hang about in there that probably would come after you if you pissed them off.

18. Crispy

EDIT: Cid knows better

19. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

<ed: removed>

20. dash

dash New Member

Thought it might be a bit like that :D

It was supposed to be the 16th floor, the floors below being occupied by the DHSS, and the ones above (it's about 40 storeys high) were something to do with the Post Office. Radio hams were sometimes intrigued by the exotic comms equipment seen on the roof.

21. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

<ed: removed> It went on to become one of the most profitable buildings ever in London.

/goes off to dig out infoz...

22. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Ummm not exactly, see my post above... :p :D

23. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

ah, someone beat me to it :)

24. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Ok being a thicky here how does keeping it empty make you money ?do you borrow against supposed value,or what?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

I still don't understand how you make more money having it empty than receiving rents, even with no rates!:confused:

27. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Cool building. :cool:

28. lenny101

lenny101 On the Rock & Roll

I don't mind the building so much, its just the bit where it meets the floor that pisses me off. It creates a wind tunnel which is dangerous for cyclists and pedesttrians.

Also, the fountain takes up most of the corner of Charing Cross Road meaning that the pedestrians are packed on to the other side of the road. I can't believe someone could come up with such a bad design.

29. toggle

toggle wobbly

or they have to walk through the windtunnel.

30. Cid

Cid 慢慢走