Centre Point Tower, central London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by down not out, Oct 22, 2009.

1. down not out

down not out New Member

Thanks for the information Lang Rabbie

2. down not out

down not out New Member

I think the proposed replacement is a mangled-up deformation of the lovely sweeping delicate angled stairway.

3. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Delicately angel stairway in dirty concrete that actiuvely hates pedestrians?

4. down not out

down not out New Member

In what way does the stairway hate pedestrians? - it seems really practical. I think the concrete is brilliant - and it seems amazing the way they cast those parts -it was built when the main building was and is part of the style.

5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Ugh, it's a bit skanky down by those stairs.

6. down not out

down not out New Member

They don't seem to look after it very well

7. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

The starirwat and fountain area do not allow for a decent pavement. I imagine if pedestrians could walk past it it'd be left alone. As it is, they can't.

8. down not out

down not out New Member

The stairway doesn't interfere with the pavement. I agree the original side where the fountains were only left a too narrow piece for pedestrians.

9. JWH

JWH Fnord Fiesta XR3i

Mmm, not one of my favourite buildings, at street level anyway. I wouldn't be sad to see it go completely.

Does that refer to the sort-of-figure-8 traffic flow around the base of the building?

10. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Listed or not, that building is a fucking eyesore.

11. lenny101

lenny101 On the Rock & Roll

Centre Point creates a wind tunnel which turns a breeze into a gale. I hate cycling past it. :mad:

12. editor

editor hiraethified

I am crying but not one tear at the belated news that Harry Hyams, the developer has popped his clogs. That greedy cunt tried to close down this site because of a piece I wrote about the tower. Fuck you, Harry!

Harry Hyams obituary

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  13. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

There's a really good account of the story behind CentrePoint and Space House in Concretopia by John Grindrod.
    [​IMG]

editor likes this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

Sweet FA likes this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified