Centre Point Tower, central London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by down not out, Oct 22, 2009.

1. down not out

down not out New Member

Does anyone know about the proposed demolition of the original front stairway at the Centre Point Tower, by Tottenham Court Road Station? I think it is an amazing landmark London building built in the 1960's, and it is grade II listed. I was really shocked to notice a tiny A4 planning notice by there last week, and a couple of days later even that was missing - hopefully one may have been put back. It seems terrible they are even thinking of demolishing the original stairway. There are only a few days left to object by email or letter to Camden Council (last day 26th October). Apparently already the original fountains have been taken away from the plaza.
    Sorry have just found out the last date for objections is 26th October (have just edited post above).

2. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

London Underground are the applicant - not the building owner. It is part of the Crossrail works that have already claimed the Astoria.

LU already had planning consent for the work under the Crossrail bill to dismantle and reinstate the staircase. They need Camden to give listed building consent for the way they do the temporary works (which will involve three different configurations of temporary fire escape staircases) and they have also apparently decided to come up with revised design of the reinstated staircase - which will now be rebuilt as a replica on a different alignment - to fit in with the revised layout of the station entrance.

Given that Centrepoint was originally designed to have a massive gyratory traffic system around it, I'm not too precious about a redesign which should improve the pedestrian environment - the previous entrances to Tottenham Court Road station underneath the staircase were sewer like.

However, there is a question of whether the detailed designs are good enough.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

why couldn't they demolish the tower and leave the staircase :mad:

4. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

No way...go up to restaurant in there - best views in London IMO

5. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

The front staircase/fountain area has been a MASSIVE planning fail from the start. You can't walk past it to Shaftesbury Ave apart from a tiny strip of curb. It's not a fucking landmark - it's a deathtrap.

6. spitfire

spitfire Toast

absolutely, unfortunately it's a members club. My girlfriend works there.

7. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I assume you'll be back at some point today, down not out, to check the results of your campaign upon the internets. Let is know how the other fronts are progressing, will you? I'm interested, thanks :)

8. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

In case of a terrorist attack at work, our assembly point is apparently halfway up the Centre Point building.

9. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

10. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

Giles Coren did a review for the Sat Times. Not members only anymore. I want to go.

11. spitfire

spitfire Toast

oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. doh! :oops:

so yes, I may as well expand, the food is great, I've eaten there a few times, one of the best steaks I've eaten. I would suggest getting up there for drinks before sunset and then watching the sunset over west london and then having your dinner in the restaurant which looks over the City and Tower Bridge, St Pauls etc.

Also, for the ravers out there there is the occasional club night in the function room on the 31st floor. These are also open to the public but you need to know who's promoting it. *cough* Mr. C *cough*

12. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Alright spitfire :)

What's that place called then? The restaurant? Link?

13. spitfire

spitfire Toast

14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

No I fucking didn't :mad: What do I know of 'fuses'? Thanks tho :(

15. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Fuses?!? WTF, when di that come into it? lol.:D

so what have you got now?

16. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Yah, fuses? Didn't it need a new fuse in the kettle cable?

I had a crap FV box, which I held on to for some reason when I got the nice one, so when I blew up the nice one I reinstated the crap one.

17. durruti02

durruti02 love and rage!

one of my favourite london buildings .. tbh i think as someone said above clearly teh clutter at teh bottom maye be a good thing

18. spitfire

spitfire Toast

oh yeah, my memory is definitely slipping.

that area was a horrendous place to try and get around on foot, i reckon these works will be a major improvement.

As for the fountains, well you couldn't get to them anyway so no great loss.

19. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

:eek: omg that website! Nearly gave me seizure! They should have some kind of flashing images warning :mad:

20. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

At some point the fountain and lack of access must have been an acceptable idea.

What is this 'gyratory'? It seems like something was planned for that area (which has always been madly busy) and then it didn't happen, leaving the fountains etc being completely incongruous.

21. spitfire

spitfire Toast

@ beeboo. sorry, i'll pass it on.

22. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Apparently they're changing the website on Monday so if you're prone to seizures wait till Tuesday.

23. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

:D

It's just for private bookings tho, innit? You can't book a dinner for two - needs to be an event?

Tell the story properly :mad:

24. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Ha ha....the food is good - not spectacular but good. But the view....oh the view is so worth it.

25. spitfire

spitfire Toast

No, it is available for bookings to the public for meals now, the website is out of date. There are restrictions though. I will find out the full story and post up here when I know exctly what the deal is. I'll try and get something up over the weekend. Fnar.

26. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

27. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

So this time of year...5.30pm for drinks and sunset then dinner after :cool:

28. beeboo

beeboo geek chic

Aww bless you spitfire. It was hyperbole really, but it did make me go abut funny.

:)

29. down not out

down not out New Member

Re my post on 22nd Ocober re plannning application to remove original stairway at the front of Centre Point Tower - sorry got date wrong for last day for objections to Camden Council - last date is 26th October.

30. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

What is your objection?