1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central Brixton cafes for getting work done (laptop friendly)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 28, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went to give Brixton Blend a look today but found out that they close at 6pm.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So I'm in Brixton Blend. There's loads of space upstairs although all the exposed wood and the lack of furnishings makes it a bit cold and echoey. Bit of a bummer that the coffee only comes in takeaway paper cups too. Surely it's not too much to get an actual cup? Coffee is good though.

3. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

^ I raised this with them and was told they don't have facilities or budget for proper china or the dishwashing/dishwasher that cups entail. Even had to beg to borrow the one teaspoon in the shop! It's certainly not your ideal coffee shop in any way but hey. At least it's anther option. It's getting like the Three Bears, this ...

editor likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It actually feels more like I'm sitting in an office or a library than a coffee shop. I'm sure that may be what some people are looking for, but I like to work somewhere with a bit of an atmosphere and maybe the chance to chat if the mood takes. As it people are talking in hushed tones.

Wi Fi is nippy though - but there is a dead spot in the corner upstairs.

trabuquera likes this.
  5. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Have you tried the Caya place on CHL yet editor ?

(I really need to find a (quiet) place for the next couple of weeks as there will be people banging and scraping the outside of the building 8-4 every day).

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No but I've been meaning to go for ages. San Marino is still my first choice although the wi-fi can be absent for days at a time.

bimble likes this.
  7. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

That rules me out. I try and sit in if I've got the time for coffee as it tastes far better out of a proper cup. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of additional wast that using paper only creates.

8. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

I've used it, and its a great set up. Cafe in the front and working space at the back.

£2 per hour for desk space. Wifi is incredibly quick at the pay for space, plenty of power cables and USB outlets to charge your phone. I think the desk space gets cheaper by the day or week.

The coffee is bang on too.

editor and bimble like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just a reminder that the Brixton Pound is also a great choice. Coffee is miles better than before but it shuts too early for my tastes (6pm, last time I was there).

10. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Those cups aren't recyclable either. I now try to avoid those cups as much as possible. I feel like a wanker producing my own cup out of my bag but hey.

editor likes this.
  11. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

Yep, most people think they are being paper.

12. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Leviticus 26:12

I'm in a cafe in Amsterdam. It's one of those big typically modern Amsterdam type place. There are signs on the table saying "Laptop free during weekends". I like the concept. It does have a nice ambience in here with people chatting and chilling rather than hunched and harried looking

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Finally got to take a look at Caya. It certainly fits the bill for a laptop friendly cafe and they've done it up really well. It looks like it's great for meetings and folks wanting to settle in for a long afternoon on their laptops. That business approach comes at the expense of a slightly less than relaxed vibe but it's still a good addition to the area. Nice staff too.

bimble likes this.
  14. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Great. I'm going in there tomorrow then, early. Really need to get stuff done and that sounds perfect.

editor likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus