1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central Brixton cafes for getting work done (laptop friendly)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 28, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

With the demise of Kaff, I'm a bit of a loss where to go to get some work done now.

Obviously people have different preferences, but it might be good to list the places that are good to rock up with a laptop and get some work done.

Most of the ones I like are a bit of a way out of Brixton (Cable Cafe, Love Cafe etc), and I'm having trouble finding somewhere to go off to for a working break.

Your recommendations please!

*Previously, I'd listed Kaff, The Lounge and the Ritzy, but the first one has closed, the second is perhaps a bit too formal for me and the third seems too full and noisy these days. Oh, and I'd apply the same caveat:

2. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

BCA?

Coffee/pint in the trinity?

Greebo likes this.
  3. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Moroccan and/or Ethiopian cafes under the arches, for the fleeting moments before they're kicked out...:(

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're nice cafes but I'm not sure that they're 'laptop' kind of places, if you get my drift.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'll give BCA a go - good call. I daren't risk pubs!

6. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

* shrugs* dunno, I've seen plenty of people working on laptops in the Ethiopian one - that's why I mentioned it.

Greebo and Rushy like this.
  7. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Macondalds. Fact. i've spent many an hour in relative peace studying in there as long as you keep the coffees rolling.

admitted, it is an evil empire and even their bricks are made with the tears of orphans.

up to you.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm sure that may work for some, but I'm afraid I am unable to go into any McDonalds anywhere, let alone give them any money for their dreadful coffee.

han likes this.
  9. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I've seen people with their laptops out in San Marino. Can get busy though.

Greebo likes this.
  10. Rushy

What about the cafe upstairs in Morleys?
    I always forget it's there. Comfy, spacious and a great view. Might be a Nero?

Greebo likes this.
  11. BigMoaner

yes, like the morleys one. off the masses radar, too.

trabuquera and Greebo like this.
  12. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Macon dalds... Where's that? Sounds posh...:eek:

Smick likes this.
  13. Rushy

Yep. Its pretty relaxed.
    (Morleys, not McDs!)

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yes, I've been to Caffe Nero in Morleys loads of times (the Bad Boys cake is lovely) and it's pleasant enough, but I'd prefer to go to an independent, if possible. Talking of which, I also find Costa a horribly windowless space, and their large coffee cup is hilariously bucket-sized!

I know some won't like me saying this, but I've never really liked the coffee in San Marino and it can get noisy when the TV is blaring out. Now that the hipster hordes have vacated the Village a bit, Federation is looking a bit more appealing again, although it closes too early at 5pm.

I think what I'd really like is somewhere like the Cable Cafe:

[​IMG]

miss direct likes this.
  15. BigMoaner

starbucks lol

16. BigMoaner

best off village, surely? Lots of little places in there to plot up i would have thought. Could be wrong.

17. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Nero and Costa are both very noisy as is San Marino. Some of the arches ones are cheap but a bit small, not sure about wifi? Probably upstairs at the Ritzy is the quietest place.

I'd also vote for Cable too.

Greebo and editor like this.
  18. 299 old timer

299 old timer Well-Known Member

The White Hart in Tulse Hill - you'll have a table all to yourself and absolute peace and quiet.

ViolentPanda and Greebo like this.
  19. Rushy

It was excluded by the OP for being too out of the way. The brilliant Love Walk Cafe too. But yes, nice place.

Greebo likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm thinking I may have to simply walk to the far flung Love/Cable cafes as there seems to be no suitable cafe for me in town. I like the coffee at the Blue Turtle Oasis in Loughborough Junc very much indeed, but that's at the other extreme of quiet.

Greebo likes this.
  21. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

the Balance Cafe on Ferndale road maybe, I havent been in but have passed by and it looks nice enough.....

Greebo likes this.
  22. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

No seating. It's basically a take away. Wouldn't have thought they have wifi either

23. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

What about Parissi? (sorry if this was already asked & answered but it seems to be best on counts of low noise, plenty of room, "near town" etc? ) I like the space a lot but it's expensive.

24. BigMoaner

Weatherspoons.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The coffee is very nice but I don't really like the place much, although I may well give it a few more goes before giving up on it.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the results of my recent entirety subjective and non-scientific research quest for the perfect working cafe in Brixton:

Federation: Probably my preferred place now that the Village hype has died down, decent coffee and usually no problem getting a seat, although the early closing (5pm) is the killer for me.
    San Marino: Just a bit too noisy for me and it doesn't seem the sort of place where long-term laptop lurkers are appreciated, even when fairly empty (and yes, I fully understand why some cafes don't like this).
    Ritzy: I may have been unlucky but every time I've been here recently I've ended up next to distractingly loud, really posh people ("Yah, first class all the way to Cuba"). The staff are nice though and they don't mind you settling in for a long afternoon.
    Caffe Nero: Too noisy with lots of screaming kids. Nice staff though.
    Costa: Too dark and depressing for more than half an hour
    Lounge: Pretty good place to work, although the switch to night time means that it's time to pack up
    Parissi: Its small size means I feel pressurised if I'm there too long and it's pricey too
    Cable Cafe: Still the best by bloody miles but just too far
    Blue Turtle Oasis: Really fabulous coffee but it's a fair schlep put of town and can be deathly quiet sometimes
    Love Walk Cafe: Pretty good choice but a fair hike out of town

More to come....

27. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

28. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Is renting an office or desk space really out of fashion now?

I must say, these days on a (very rare) forray into cafes, it's difficult to find a table that hasn't got a laptop on it and I feel like I'm the only person in the world who's not working.

I'm surprised with the huge number of new bars/restaurants starting up around here, that no ones started some sort of work space cafe. There was someone talking about doing this on the radio the other day but I didn't catch where.

mango5 likes this.
  29. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

a cafe called Coffice has just opened up on City Road I've not been in yet.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I can't afford to do that and I'm happy working from home anyway.