Centenary of the Senghenydd Colliery disaster

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by felixthecat, Oct 14, 2013.

1. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this today
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24506122

My granddad was from Senghenydd and remembers this well - he was 8 or 9 years old at the time and he's talked about fire and the smoke coming from the mine and the panic that engulfed the village with clarity. My great-grandfather was a carpenter at the mine who was fortunately working topside that day.

439 men whose lives were valued at 5.5pence each. Unbelievable.
    "In May 1914 the mine manager, Edward Shaw, faced 17 charges while the colliery owners, the Lewis Merthyr Coal Company, faced 4 charges.
    Edward Shaw was convicted of 8 of the charges and fined £24 - leading a local newspaper to publish the headline 'Miners Lives at 5½p each'. The owners were convicted of the single charge of not fitting reversible ventilation fans and were fined £10 with £5.25 costs"

2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Conditions in the pits were horrific in those days; 400+ men dead because of the greed of the combines. It's a name burned in to the memories of valley people, along with Aberfan.

3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

and this was of course when there were 240 pence in the pound, so 5 1/2 pence then about 2p now.

5. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Thankfully, the standard to which mine management were held had improved by the time of the Gresford disaster in 1934 - when the only man to be held responsible was found guilty of an offence relating to record keeping, and fined £150 (plus costs).

:rolleyes:

6. editor

editor hiraethified

On FB:

[​IMG]

felixthecat likes this.
  7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

And it is today's (14th October 2019) featured article on the front page of Wikipedia.

farmerbarleymow and planetgeli like this.