Cause or effect? The link between gentrification and violent crime - article

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 17, 2018.

1. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

It's on the FT's paywall site so I'll copy and paste it here:

[​IMG]
    Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Gramsci and sealion like this.
  2. editor

More:

UnderAnOpenSky and Gramsci like this.
  3. editor

Good comment here:

Gramsci and sealion like this.
  4. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I read a book earlier this year called the spirit level which used lots of data from lots of studies from around the globe to support the authors theory that the wider the inequality gap the 'worse' a society becomes in term of health, crime, education and employment.
    Super interesting. And super depressing in parts
    Eg Japan for example has very low crime and a much smaller gap between rich and poor than UK or US.
    They reasoned that it was actually better for ALL in society if the rich gave some of their riches to the poor (through taxes, or other means) as everyone benefits in the end.
    It's not a light read (!), Lots of stats and graphs, but it's stayed with me.

The Spirit Level (book) - Wikipedia

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

My therapist (now retired) was a big fan of the Spirit Level. In his case he thought wide differentials led to alienation and depression.

But that was before the present vogue for Drill Music videos - and also the universal adoption of the mobile phone to provide mind control from the age when one can read them.

I think the problem is social control has passed to Youtube, WhatsApp and the mobile phone. I appreciate my parents were negligent in reviewing what books I bought or borrowed from the library - but what chance have today's possibly single working parents got against infinite technological corruption?

sparkybird likes this.
  6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Read this some years back. For a while it was the must read for politicians from all parties. Including Tories.

This didn't last long.

See here for the history of the reception of the book.

The Spirit Level: how 'ideas wreckers' turned book into political punchbag

Even Gordon Brown decided to turn down invites to discuss the book. So afraid New Labour were of upsetting the centre ground. Who are imo a nasty lot.

World Service did excellent 10 minute summary of the ideas here last week.

BBC World Service - The Big Idea, Inequality Makes Us Anxious

The thing is inequality is issue that I think everyone is aware of. The way political discourse works now is that inequality isn't denied. And of course all want it remedied. But not just yet in practice.

The BBC programme features Pickett. Interesting update on the original book about high level of narcissism. Pickett argues that narcissism.is higher in unequal societies. Living through commodities almost went into Marx. Without mentioning him.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. Gramsci

Read the FT article now.

sparkybird is right to mention the Spirit Level.

The BBC programme I link to is relevant. In that Pickett says in unequal societies like ours status is more important.

The in your face gentrification of central London leads to inequality being seen in concrete visual way. Following the spirit level this leads to status anxiety and increase in violent crime to get higher status.

Gentrification is a facet of unequal societies. And it's one that is not possible to avoid.

Like the lastest eaterie I see opening in the stretch of shops on CHL opposite Barrier block. I can't avoid seeing gentrification creeping up towards my bit of CHL.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  8. Gramsci

From FT article

Its how I feel about what has been happening to London. Its not my development and its separate from me.

Historically London ( and Brixton) has a lot of social housing. I don't feel the future of that is secure.

9. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

The cutting and pasting of this article is very selective, as is the headlining of the article by the FT. There's so many variables that affect and effect crime, and it's not solely gentrification. A reading of the article in full articulates this, but it's a good sub's handiwork to use this headline. As the final para quotes, the key thing is education.

The two occasions I was mugged in Brixton were in the early 1990s and the late 1990s, the second time I was hospitalized and had reconstructive jaw surgery. I'm guessing this was pre-gentrification, as we understand its use today, so clearly there were other things in play such as age, location, gender. These variables are still key, gentrification is a noise in the background.

alcopop and Winot like this.
  10. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

They've just released a follow up looking at the mental health effects of inequality. You might be interested in this where Kate Pickett is interviewed about it: #15 Kate Pickett on the mental health effects of inequality | Politics Theory Other on acast

11. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

12. Gramsci

editor likes this.
  13. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

• Inappropriate Content
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He subsequently served as Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice from May 2015 until 14 July 2016.

14. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Radicalised hand-wringing liberal ultra-remainer.

Tories and cocaine - quelle surprise.

T & P and Gramsci like this.
  15. editor

What has this got to do with the thread? And do you have any actual opinions?

Gramsci likes this.
  16. Gramsci

I'm getting fed up with this.

FYI :

Terms of Service and Rules | urban75 forums

Rules of posting are clear. Repeatedly posting up links with no comment is not on.

You've been asked more than once to state your opinion and have refused to do so.

I think a ban is in order if you persist in this.

editor likes this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Sky News (prop Comcast) reports that the latest "Sun" headline is "Gove Tries Crack".

Ha Ha Ha. We may well think that Trump is gross, but the popular press here is grosser.

Unfortunate that the most sensible candidate for Tory leadership has been unable to get enough supporters. Maybe he thought he was in the Lib Dems?

Gramsci likes this.
  18. Humberto

Humberto which shall devour the palaces of Bozrah

Maybe that war on drugs (read: on black and or / working class) is poisonous. But yes his approach does seem weird.