Catford advice..

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Stoo, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Stoo

Stoo Member

Firstly, first post so hello all.

Secondly, we're looking at moving house at the moment and have been looking round the area where Ardgowan Road, Sandhurst, Fordel roads are.

Can anyone tell me much about that area? We've got a young kid so a decent primary school would be important in a couple of years - its seems Sandhurst has a good reputation.

Nice bars and restaurants seem to be missing but to be honest that's not quite so important these days..

Is it safe enough? Seems OK when we've been wandering round.

I know Catford's not got the greatest reputation, but I've lived in places with bad reputations before (and do currently) and found them unjustified.

Thanks!

2. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

I lived there for a week and it was fucking shit. They had a big wooden cat above the market, which was a clever play on the name of the area. Thats about it. Shit and a cat. Should have been called Catshit.

bromley and mod like this.
  3. Stoo

Stoo Member

Eh, cheers. But what exactly is shit about it? Is it a dull kind of shit or a stabby\shooty kind of shit?

4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

Firstly, the Catford Cat is fibre-glass not wood.

As for Catford, I don't live there any more, but visit now and then, and Mum lives a mile or two away. I can't say I know anything about the streets you mention.

Catford Town Centre has struggled in the last 30 years or so - it has lost out to Lewisham and Bromley on the shopping front, as both opened indoor shopping centres in the 70s (Lewisham) and early 90s (Bromley).

For example, when I was little (1970s) Catford Town Centre had a Sainsburys (part of Eros House), a Burtons (somewhere on Rushey Green - I can't remember what it is now but there's still a snooker club upstairs) and a Woolworths (now Catford Mews) - all had closed by the mid 80s. That does make it less 'clone town' than many places, but not in the sort of way that has loads of shops selling trendy organic hand-knitted cheese and that sort of stuff.

Also, the town centre suffered from planning blight for decades because of the possibility of putting a dual carriageway south circular straight through the middle of it.

the Winslade Way shopping complex (the one that the Catford Cat is at the entrance to) is 1970s concrete at about its worst - the housing (Milford Towers) above it is similar and has had many of the troubles that a 'hard to let' council development has.

I understand that Lewisham Council has some grand plans for Catford town centre, and has bought the Winslade Way complex - they are closing 'Catford Mews' down, and the Cat is currently surrounded by scaffolding - nobody seems sure whether this will lead to removal or repairs.

As with all these things, there's no immediate way of knowing how far the grand plans will get.

You may find catfordcentral.com (I hope it's not against the rules to link to another forum) worth a look.

I'm sure there was a Catford based local thread for local people on here - it seems to have sunk without trace...

5. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Catford is shit

6. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Stoo - you're asking the wrong demographic, really. The concern for many here is't the reputation of primary schools and general safety. It is, however, more what you describe as the things that aren't so important these days.

Fwiw, that particular area of Catford has always seemed fine to me; families in family housing in residential streets. I'm told Mountsfield Park is also pretty decent.

7. Stoo

Stoo Member

Cheers for the replies (particularly puddy_tat and London_calling:)).

I would really be quite keen on decent pubs (and by decent I don’t mean gastro in case I’m giving that impression), it’s one of the things I like where we are at the moment, but I guess some things need to be sacrificed and it looks like that’s one of them.

Just interested to get a general idea from people, even those who think it’s shit!

8. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

Does anyone know what the pub is called round the corner from the market on the corner? Big gaunt old place it was - I worked there for a bit about 10 years ago, wonder if its still running?

9. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

All these roads are part of (or nearly ) the Corbett estate which was built by a Scottish Presbyterian family. There is a covenant on a lot of the land which prevents alcohol being sold, which is why there are no local pubs. The houses are late Victorian. I live on Hazelbank rd and my house was built in 1904. They are quite large terraced houses some are double fronted with gardens of 70 ft or so. Rds Like Hazelbank , Ardgowen, Torriden are outside the centre of Catford so are quieter and pretty good if you want to raise a family IMO. Lots of families live there, good primary in Torriden rd , reasonable local library and surgery also. About a 20 min walk to Hither green station which has good links to London brige/charing x.

We thought that no local pub would be a bind but its ok as it means that there is never any trouble where we live. If we go drinking then we go to Blackheath or Greenwich which have plenty going on and are a short bus ride away.

No getting away from the fact that Catford centre is a dump, we just go to the Lidl there or the Sainsburys at Lee. For better shops etc go to Lewisham or Bromley. The area between catford and Lewisham cemetery is pretty safe as they are further out.

Cheers

10. Fireball5675

Fireball5675 New Member

If you’re talking about the pub next to the train stations, it burnt down a few years ago and was completely destroyed basically. I think it’s something new now I haven’t really payed much attention