Castle Rock. One for the Stephen King fans

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by InfoBurner, Aug 10, 2018.

1. InfoBurner

InfoBurner Everything Is Under Control

I'm 3 episodes in and this series hasn't put a foot wrong. Set in Castle Rock and Shawshank prison, there's a great cast, Bill Skarsgård ( It), Sissy Spacek and Scott Glen. The script is tight, the dialogue very Kingesque, the mystery revealing itself at just the right pace.

Loads of name drops to previous King storeys, he's a producer along with JJ Abrahms. Of course I'm hoping it doesn't have a wacked out ending, like some of King's work but that tendency seems to have abated along with the booze and the sniff.

2. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

What can we watch it on?

InfoBurner likes this.
  3. InfoBurner

It's a Hulu streaming series, like The Handmaids tale. Yet to be picked up by a UK broadcaster but you'll find it on all the usual sites. 5 episodes released to date.

Me76 likes this.
  4. Ranu

Ranu Poster of the Weak

I've watched all 5 so far, it's excellent. It's like slow-release; explaining a little more each episode but at the same time revealing a little more mystery. Really well acted and written.

5. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

Liking this very much, but not sure about the revealing at the end of episode 6.

Great to see Chosen Jacobs getting a chance to be scared of Bill Skarsgard again :)

6. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Two episodes in and I'm not feeling it. Considering the cast is amazing, the characters are pretty boring so far and there are things I've seen a gazillion times before. Of course when the creepy mystery dude gets put in a cell with Big Bad Bubba we know exactly how that is going to play out, just to demonstrate how evil and all-powerful he is. There is slow-burn and then there is boring and so far this comes down on the latter for me. Much of it is like a not very compelling soap opera, the writing isn't very good. I'll give this one more episode and see if it improves, in theory this should be so up my street.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    InfoBurner likes this.
  7. InfoBurner

Keep going, I'd say. Watching the latest episode tonight (9) and though most of it could be predicted with an extensive knowledge of King, some twists are great blindsiders.

Reno likes this.
  8. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I think it has really picked up in the second half.

9. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Five episodes in and still not sure about this. Now I’ve invested so much time though that I feel I should power through the rest. Glad to hear it picks up.

10. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

i enjoyed it...

11. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I finally made it to the end last night and thought the whole thing was a ponderous snooze. The show is hugely repetitive and keeps threading water for long stretches. I would have liked for it to be far more of a horror show, but it’s a moody, supernatural drama, which would have been fine had the characters actually been compelling. It wastes not only its top notch main cast in stock roles but also a lot of great actors in a couple of scenes each, with nothing interesting to do. Why cast Frances Conroy or Terry O‘Quinn in nothing-roles apart from that they’ve done horror before ? What even is the function of Jackie Torrance, who for some reason is credited as a lead character ? With one exception, she keeps arriving at scenes without any purpose apart from making a snarky comment here and there. She could have been removed from the show and it would have made no difference to the plot. That’s bad writing.

I’ve read a lot of King when I was young but my mind wasn’t blown by the allusions to his work. Unless there are still major revelations to come, I found the connections kind of pointless. Some minor King characters and distant relatives weave in and out of the plot and then there are moments which are supposed to vaguely remind you of something that happened in a King novel. The big reveal in episode 9 was supposed to be clever but it made me throw my remote at the telly and then the last episode made me want to throw my telly out of the window. What a letdown ! Maybe I’ve missed something major as I’ve stopped reading King after The Green Mile but this could have been the same without the King connection.

Give me a King-themed show about Carrie duking it out with Pennywise at the Overlook. That may not be as subtle or as classy as what this show aspires to, but it could actually be fun. Admittedly the post-credits epilogue hints at something like it, but I doubt they’ll pull it off after this season.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    mauvais likes this.