Cassettes

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by tbtommyb, May 21, 2014.

1. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

2. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Last year I bought a decent cassette and CD player. Most of my 80s cassettes sound amazingly excellent, you wouldn't know it wasn't a CD. In my head cassettes were always shit. However I recently bought a ltd edition CD that came with a cassette, which disappointingly was exactly the same as the album, and also bought the LP, so I could compare all three formats.

IMG_20160817_153229.jpg

The tape was well shit in comparison.

sealion likes this.
  3. killer b

people buying cassettes is nothing to do with sound fidelity or convenience or anything like that though on the whole - I posted this on another cassette thread the other day:

heinous seamus likes this.
  4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Maybe, but I would like a promotional cassette to be something different, like being able to unlock a special mode.

5. killer b

I'm not totally sure what the purpose of them is if you're releasing on vinyl and CD as well, I must say.

6. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Just reporting in to say that despite having ripped most of them, I'm still playing all my old rave and radio stuff from the tapes :thumbs:

killer b likes this.
  7. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

The absolute joy that my auntie still had this amongst a whole load of stuff seemingly untouched for about 20 years in her spare room :cool:

[​IMG]

8. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

2A245A3C-9673-492B-84DD-101BBE7F7F01.jpeg Our car still has a Blaupunkt tape player in it and I’m surprised how good all my mixtapes from the 80s still sound. Realised I have this box of blank TDKs upstairs (liberated from educational stocks...)

BassJunkie, mwgdrwg and Nivag like this.
  9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Even as a kid I knew that the longer tapes appeared to be of a worse quality. Never bought anything over 60 after my early teens. That is apart from this, that I couldn't resist from a charity shop five or six years ago. Also bought some TDK FE90s at 30p a pop. Just looked quite nice.

I used one to tape a song from an album I did in 2014. I played the song from the desk and recorded it in the middle of the room on a cheap portable tape machine. I then played that cheap tape recording (still from the middle of the room) back to the desk, with the first mic that came to hand a few meters away just laying on the floor. I was hoping for some authentically shit badly recorded rough stuff. . . but it actually sounded fine. Left it on the album anyway. It originally got rejected from the pressing plant because they thought the 'click' of the tape player going on and off

seeformiles likes this.
  10. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I remember C120s were notorious for unraveling inside cassette decks - leading to lots of surgery involving small screwdrivers, glue and Biro pens...