1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cassettes

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by tbtommyb, May 21, 2014.

1. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

doubtless. but as this is the music forum rather than politics, I think it's ok for me to use the term colloquially.

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

No. ;)

3. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

You've reminded me of all the Arabic music tapes I bought on trips to Egypt in the early 90's, still have them packed away in a box!

In fact I still have all my cassettes but I've not really looked at them for some years.
    When I was first in London in the late 90's I used to buy mix tapes in Camden, think I have a lot of Roots and Dub stuff as I was quite into that at the time.

4. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

I see what you mean, yes.

Delroy would've been here before me, if he still posted here.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  5. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I just had a memory of buying a Jah Shaka Live tape in around 92 from HMV Oxford Street and taking it home and feeling utterly ripped off because of the fucked up sound quality - i wasnt made of money and what kind of a joke was this recording! To be honest im still not that over it :D it was about a tenner IIRC!
    that whole soundtapes sound takes some getting used to

ETA: Just found a bunch of those Shaka tape rips here
    http://shaka.reggaeclub.org/tapes.html
    [​IMG]

ETA: Bah, no audio rips :( just the covers

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

would love to hear that.

what's the shaka foundation project?

8. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

get them out! i'd be very interested in seeing them / hearing sound clips.

9. ska invita

IIRC its something about sending money over to Ghana? Some kind of plot of land there? I forget.... or is that an AbaShanti thing im confusing it with.... not sure now

littleseb likes this.
  10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

50p well spent then.

11. ska invita

here we are:
    Shaka has also established the Jah Shaka Foundation to carry out assistance with projects in Ghana, where the foundation has bought 7 acres (28,000 m2) of land in Agri, thirty miles outside of Accra.[7] It has also managed to distribute medical supplies, wheelchairs, library books, carpentry tools, drawing materials and records to clinics, schools and radio stations in the Accra area establishing important links with the local communities.[1] Shaka himself was actually a youth worker years ago, and has regularly been quoted encouraging youths to study geography and history so they know "whats happened, where it's happening and who's doing it".

littleseb likes this.
  12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Tapes are very big in noise music and amongst the artier end of that there are various ideas of the temporary and unique nature of performance, so that idea of decaying physical medium would fit in with that. Maybe someone here knows a bit more about that thinking?

Of course the other feature of noise music is that lots of acts sell about 20 copies, so it fits in with that too. And the idea of being awkward and different.

13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

They are not anything very exciting - mainly classic arabic dance tunes and a bit of pop (I went to arabic dance classes and workshops for quite a number of years, hence the particular interest).

14. killer b

Yeah, it allows very limited runs (loads of labels bring out 20 - 50 copies of an album) - partly I think that's a realistic assessment of how many physical copies you're likely to sell, partly it adds a sense of exclusivity.

I think there's also a bit of a nostalgia element to it too, harking back to the days of the 1980s industrial tape underground.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

On a related note: http://musik-line.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/shaka-in-africa.html

ska invita likes this.
  16. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

I got my tapes out of a box recently, and have been listening to loads of 'em recently. Like a lost library.The first album I ever bought is there, Breakdance OST, and it sounds great. Not sure if I posted these pics before...

[​IMG]

Fozzie Bear, ddraig and killer b like this.
  17. mwgdrwg

18. mwgdrwg

Here's the box and stuff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fozzie Bear and killer b like this.
  19. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

i never managed to keep my tapes that neatly in order. usually they were all over the place....

20. killer b

It's the mixtapes friends have made us I really love (sadly I seem to have lost all mine over the years) - little bits of history, time, place and a relationship all wrapped up in 90 minutes of magnetic tape and a hand-made insert.

I see you have some there mwgdrwg - can you tell us anything about them?

21. killer b

22. ska invita

jsut checking out that Divine Styler thing - never heard of them before - not perfect but interesting stuff and definitely of its time
    other than that i had pretty much all those tapes too [​IMG] (Amerikkkas most wanted rather than The Predator, and didnt have the X Possee one either)

23. ska invita

24. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

wow :cool:

25. mwgdrwg

Yeah, I've got loads of tapes that friends made in school, one 90 minute tape full of house and hip hop taped from John Peel in the 80s, and other various radio shows. There's quite a few compilations and mixes made on decks by mates in Uni in the 90's, loads of house. But the best find of all....was a jam of my shoegaze band from 1993! I need to rip it to soundcloud. My mate even did a cover for it with photocopies and laminated it :D I have pics and will just hunt them out...

26. killer b

yes! Get it ripped mate. :)

27. mwgdrwg

I need a mini-jack to mini-jack lead? It's really funny as I have the 'master' which includes us talking away and fucking up takes... :D

28. mwgdrwg

29. mwgdrwg

Inlay... :D

[​IMG]

Sweet FA and ska invita like this.
  30. mwgdrwg

Half naked Judge Anderson on the cover, from Judgement on Gotham...which I still have....I'm a hoarder :D

Sweet FA likes this.