Cars You Never See Anymore

Discussion in 'transport' started by Idris2002, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Companion thread to the "Cars that refused to die" thread.

You don't see 2CVs anymore, at least I haven't for a long, long time. Maybe occasionally in France, but otherwise, nah.

The Ford Cortina's another one you never ever see (at least I don't) despite it's being a 70s icon.

What other examples can we think of?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Never see those panda cars any more

[​IMG]

Celt and Badgers like this.
  3. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

I see (and hear!) a 70s V8 Cortina regularly in Herne Hill. I think it belongs to one of the owners of the brewery next to makerspace.

5. bluescreen

bluescreen Je est un autre

Sure it wasn't Burgess Hill? ;)
    Executive - Poem by John Betjeman

6. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Met filth have one I've seen it several times when they do PR exercises (giving out pamphlets, smiling like morons etc) around the South Bank and Waterloo.

7. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Not what you immediately think ...

[​IMG]

8. bluescreen

So. If that's not a regular Traveller grille as I recall it, what is it then?

9. bluescreen

My father had a Traveller way back, same colour as this, but I was only very little and don't remember all the details.

10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    bluescreen likes this.
  11. bluescreen

Ooh. I didn't know they did those. Bit downmarket for them, surely?

12. bluescreen

But we had a Riley after that. :D

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

previous post edited - right model, wrong series

bluescreen likes this.
  14. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

dogDBC likes this.
  15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I see the opening mentions 2CV's; I saw 3 parked up together in Latchmere Road yesterday.
    Here's a motor I saw on the box yesterday, a Fuego. Where do Renault get their names from?
    [​IMG]

a_chap likes this.
  16. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

When I was growing up in Oxford every other car was either a Maestro or Montego. Obviously a lot of people worked at Rover Cowley and got a deal but they were everywhere. Don't see any of them around any more, I don't think they were designed to get wet.

17. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

dogDBC and keybored like this.
  18. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

They were popular with pensioners, a successor to the Allegro in that respect. There's probably loads pristine and SORNed in suburban garages owned by people not well enough to drive them anymore. A workmate offered me his dad's one for pennies several years back but I didn't have a licence at the time.

19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Fuego is fire in Spanish. Not too strange a name is it?

Smick and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I think most of them melted when it rained.

21. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

[​IMG]

The maxi. Leyland killed it as a legit car but it was a revelation as a family motor. tons of space, comfy suspension and a hatchback of sorts. A properly fun car to chuck around, especially the 2 ltr version. I once put my hand on my dads as a kid and my fingers went right through the mustard paintwork that held together the rusted to fuck wings

Leafster and a_chap like this.
  22. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I actually saw a Maestro in good condition on the road in the last 6 months.
    I was very surprised to see it as I like you thought they were extinct!

23. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

And I saw one of these recently also, in a bit of a sorry state, but on the road!
    [​IMG]

24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

An Accord? I am sure I remember chancing on an owners club meeting for those (or similar) at Gaydon once, brilliant that people care enough. :thumbs:

25. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

There's a tidy-looking grey Renault 5 parked outside where I am today (Portugal) , and I saw a shabbier 4-door version earlier in the day. Can't remember when I last saw one in the UK. They were everywhere two decades back. Think they were easily Twocked, many probably met their end burnt out on the rec ground at the end of my street in the 90s.

26. jontz01

jontz01 taking refuge in the loft

[​IMG]

Tom A likes this.
  27. bluescreen

One selling point of the Maxi was that the front seats reclined so far you could turn the whole thing into a double bed.

This thread got me thinking about Haynes Manuals.
    Rubbish Haynes manuals you have lying around

28. SikhWarrioR

SikhWarrioR And the Worms ate into his brain

Its been at least 2 decades since I saw an example of the worst car I owned a TR7 if anybody finds anything good about the TR7 let me know as I couldnt find anything good about me as it seemed to spend almost as much time in the workshop as it did on the road

29. bluescreen

Funnily enough I saw one of those passing through our village high street only a couple of weeks back - the first I think I've seen for at least 30 years. I think there may have been a collectors' car rally somewhere in the vicinity.

30. blairsh

blairsh Reclusive wanker

Triumph Acclaim :)

weltweit likes this.