1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrefour - Wales' first Hypermarket 1972

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, May 11, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great bit of archive footage here

I used to love their trifles, but the arrival of the French giant destroyed a lot of the local businesses.

Throbbing Angel, ddraig and davesgcr like this.
  2. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

They used to run coach trips to this place ! - when it opened. Seem to recall that Cwmbran had the first Sainsbury store back in the day.

Love the "proper" accents.

3. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

My mum used to take me and my brother for the monthly shop here. This involved her dragging us both round to fill one huge trolley,paying and loading the car and then repeating for a second huge trolley with frozen food.
    We had a massive freezer, could have fitted a few bodies in there at least.
    By the end of the month, we were eating some weird food combos to 'use it up' as there was definitely no food shopping in between the monthly visits to Carrefour.

4. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Current Status: back for a bit

I've been using a Carrefour in Majorca a couple of weeks back. Took over an old Eroski store.

All the signage was in Spanish and English.

Never knew they were that old. Great accents in that video.

5. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

Biggest chain of supermarkets in France, and one of the biggest Spain. Their logo is good because it takes you 3 years before you realise it contains the letter "C".

Dr. Furface and Riklet like this.
  6. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

parking for 960 cars

7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Was the only 'proper' supermarket in the whole of Beijing when I first lived there.

8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

The old tills were great. Shame about the inevitable decimation of the local shops that must have happened. :(

9. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

I remember now that they had a branch at the Metro Centre when it opened in the 80s. Not sure how long it lasted.

[​IMG]