1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cardiff music fanzine 1977-78

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Mar 29, 2007.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Way back in the dawn of time, I worked on a home-made Cardiff fanzine - anyone remember it?
    Were you one of the few that bought it - or shunned us when we tried to shove it your hand?

Oh Cardiff, Up Yours

:)

2. Brockway

Brockway New Member

Nice to see Spillers getting a mention on the cover of issue 2. Don't remember it though. There was a music fanzine called Buzz at about that time which was quite well put together by a couple of blokes from Penarth but it was more metal-orientated. Another one was Welsh Grapevine which I think came out of Newport for a few years and covered the transition from rock to punk rock. I've also seen a fanzine called Discontent which was put out by author John Williams (Cardiff Dead etc) circa '79ish which had stuff on Young Marble Giants etc. Old music fanzines are great - there ought to be an archive for them.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Although the web has obliterated a great chunk of the fanzine market, I still love hand drawn/home made 'zines/comics and always try and pick up a couple if I'm staying in a new town.

4. Biffo

Biffo Well-Known Member

I'm too young to remember yours but did you ever see ‘Smiling Faeces’? It was put together by a few lads from Port Talbot in the mid-to-late 80s. The twins played in a band called Shrapnel and their mate Slag was involved too. Was pretty decent as I recall.

5. lunatrick

lunatrick space travel in my blood

don't remember the fanzine - but had a single by shrapnel - one of those home drawn 7" along the lines of crass.....pretty good it was too...

6. Dic Penderyn

Dic Penderyn Newport Civic Pride!

Read about Shrapnel in that 'Day the Country Died' book on anarchopunk recently. Didn't they do a split with 'Symbol of Liberty'?

7. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

Yes, I remember it well, it used to cover bands like the Tax Exiles and Victimize. I think I've still got a copy somewhere. I remember the Echo did a story about it, and they refused to print the name "Dai O' Rhea." Those were the days eh?

8. swanseakraken

swanseakraken Gold As Good Mate State

I was probably the only person in East Swansea and maybe the only Swansea fan to ever buy a copy of Bluebird Jones off you. If I recall, you drew 70s Man on the envelope calling me a Jack Bastard. :)

Football fanzines were a great thing but I think I only ever received 74% of the zines I sent money away for. I could understand why say Reading never sent me theirs but what Acrington Stanley and the editors of the foreign fanzines had against the Swans I don't know!?

In fact, I don't know why I ever bothered ordering these Red Star Belgrade and other superbly named teams zines as I could never understand any of it.

Amusing stuff but I don't miss going round the pubs attempting to hawk out 500 copies of the Black Swan and Jackseye fanzines a group of us went on to produce.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I remember that! :D

I did actually flog a few copies to Swansea fans at a Ninian Park game. We were standing on Sloper Road flogging the mag as usual and unbeknownst to me, the police directed a herd of Jacks down the road.

Faced with a battalion of uptight Jacks passing inches from me, I decided to gamely front it out and carried on offering the mag. A few managed to get in a few quick "Bluebird scum" comments (I think they were a bit surprised to see me there) but a few bought copies off me.

To say I was a little "concerned" during the Jack march past would be an understatement!

10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Punk fanzine ‘Oh Cardiff... Up Yours!’ donated to the Library - English and Drama blog
    urban metioned too

11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

ah seen it's linked to your piece already!