1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cardiff City 2017-8 season

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jul 20, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm posting this for old time's sake really, but the Daily Star is reporting that Vincent Tan is offering the club for £30m.

"32-page brochure seen by Starsport has been prepared by London-based WMG Advisors for potential investors.

It states: “Opportunity exists to invest in English football market though acquisition of Cardiff City Football Club, a professional football team playing in the EFL Championship.

“The club was acquired by Vincent Tan in 2010, whose support enabled the club to develop and be promoted to the Premier League in 2013/14 – total investment in excess of £130m.”

In March, Tan denied he was actively looking to sell Cardiff, but he did add: “If I am offered the right price, I will certainly consider.

“I have always publicly said that except for my family, all my businesses are for sale at the right price. I do not fall in love with my businesses."

passenger likes this.
  2. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

We are top of the league!

3. 1927

Still top of league!

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's great to see City doing so well. And if Tan fucks off, it will be even better.

5. Ras Malai Bait

Ras Malai Bait Well-Known Member

cant believe Tan is still banging on about Malky and Cornelius......yet completely overlooking how many bad decisions he has made himself.....OGS / Slade / Trollope

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wish Tan would fuck off and then healing might be able to begin.

7. Ras Malai Bait

he has kinda suggested he wants to sell but wants to sell from the PL so he gets more money for it.....but the problem lies in the fact i think he will change his mind about selling once he's in the PL again....

but yeh i want him gone ASAP

8. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

He's fallen out of love with the club and I for one don't blame him.

Yes we had every right to be upset about the shirt change.
    We had no right to act like a bunch of ignorant racist violent cunts. Which a lot of people did.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How many people acted in this way, exactly?

10. Gromit

Enough to be noticed.

Racist chants.
    Fights between camps.
    Death threats sent.

11. Ras Malai Bait

the fighting between camps seemed to be pretty one sided in terms of actual threats of violence....a couple of 'known faces' threatening fellow fans who were trying to get the club back to its correct badge and colours.....

i never noticed anything in terms of racism.....but then i pretty much stopped going after i first saw them run out in red against Huddersfield....

12. 1927

I don't understand why people still have an issue. Back in blue, brilliant feeling around club, top of league, good signings etc. Why continue to stay away?

drachir likes this.
  13. Ras Malai Bait

i'm gonna try and get down there a bit this season....probably QPR.....but I guess the cycle broke a bit when i got a refund on my season ticket and haven't renewed since....

i'm not staying away because of Tan.....but i do still have big issues with him.....

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Because of the way so many 'fans' were only too happy to kiss goodbye to a century of tradition just because some billionaire whimmed it with the promise of a very quick trip to the Premiership.

My opinion of many Cardiff fans sunk. I couldn't believe how quick they were to dance to Tan's tune.

15. Gromit

Well for me CCFC is more than a shirt colour. Throwing all that away for a colour still seems like madness to me.

I want the club to be successful both on the pitch and financially off the pitch.

I've been through too many last minute going out of business saves to last a lifetime time.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So perhaps splitting the fanbase for a generation by supporting a whimsical shirt change and vanity rebranding wasn't the greatest way to ensure the club's long term prospects?

17. 1927

So you threw away your love of the club because if your fellow fans!

18. Gromit

It wasn't vanity. It was a business strategy. The Asian marketplace is fucking huge right now with china becoming an economic giant.
    The Chinese and many other Asian cultures fucking love red. It's a very lucky colour for very superstitious people.
    Tap that market and we'll that's bye bye to money problems.

Just ask Man Utd. They made shed loads from foreign sales and rights. So much that people used to joke about you can't be a Man Utd supporter. You ain't from India.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A business strategy that lost them a large chunk of their loyal support. Yep, Genius!
    Yes, they're that stupid and gullible they'll buy anything so long as it's red. So remind me: how much money did this dire rebranding generate in the far East for Cardiff?

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Difficult to love your club when they've turned into something you don't even recognise anymore, supported by some people who don't give a fuck about the club's heritage.
    And, yes I used to be proud of the passion of Cardiff fans. Seeing them waving around their freebie red scarves was a fucking embarrassment.

21. 1927

So what is it about city you don't recognise now?

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Along with a substantial chunk of former lifetime fans who aren't ready to come back, I'm unable to completely forget the embarrassment of the past. And then there's those red seats....

[​IMG]

23. Gromit

Still top. Sounds like it was a blinder of a match with both sides really going for it.

24. 1927

Bloody great result matey. Starting to think big things for this season.

25. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Football fans in the Far East are more attracted to teams that play good football and win things than they are to the colour red, IME.

editor likes this.
  26. 1927

Thats irrelevant as far as CCFC are concerned. so if you have nothing to contribute to the thread about this season, bye bye.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What? He posted a perfectly sensible response to the dubious and patronising claim that people in the Far East have some sort of unstoppable affinity to any team jumping around in red.

28. Gromit

You calling Asians glory hunters?

People choose teams for sorts of irrational reasons. Merely choosing to be a football supporter is an irrational act in itself when you examine the facts closely. Luckily for Arsenal.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why is choosing to watch the world's most popular sport 'irrational'?

What would be irrational would be irrational is expecting thousands of people in a far distant country to suddenly start supporting a team that they've never heard of just because they changed their colours to red (but were still called the Bluebirds).

30. Gromit

Why?

If you paid £80 to go and see a band and they played badly and didn't play your favourite song you'd be demanding your money back and swearing never to see them again live.

Pay that to see a playoff final and you lose... well the heartache is awful.
    Yet like idiots we are there next season joyfully handing out money for a mixture of elation and gloom. Sport is a mad hobby.