1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Dec 29, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Reckon Cardiff deserves a thread of its own for general chat.

I've just got back from the 'Diff and was well impressed with the Christmas lights around town - the arcades looked well smaaaaaart.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

! :eek: was thinking of asking for this or starting it earlier today!
    tidy :cool:

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

saw a new place on Wellfield rd near junction of Albany rd in Roath earlier.
    KL Canolog, Malyasian and East Asian food and deli, menu looked reasonable ish from the window with 2 or 3 vegi options as far as i noticed. they sell spices and other stuff by the looks of it.
    could only find fb link https://www.facebook.com/klcanolog

anyone been?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had a miserable cold the whole time I was up in Wales over Christmas and the drenching at the City game didn't help either.

On match day, we ended up drinking at the Westgate which was surprisingly ok and then the Goscombe which was hideous and served some of the worst beer I've seen in some time.

6. pepper78

pepper78 Well-Known Member

^^^ DDraig.
    Think this is the same people who had the Satay Hut in Canton, the food there was really nice so have high hopes for here too.
    On a seperate note Have been to The Claude tonight for the first time in years - it was rammed but a bit ummmmm edgy.

ddraig and Greebo like this.
  7. pepper78

The Goscombe is a vile shit hole!

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

One pint of lager looked more like cider with its weird, massive bubbles, while my Doombar was the flattest pint I'd ever had. Dreadful pub.

9. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

aha! that makes sense presuming you mean www.bangkokcafe.co.uk
    similar font too

10. pepper78

11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

good plan but the KL canolog place doesn't open beyond 6 by the looks of it!

12. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

The Claude is always a bit like that. Never feel comfortable there and half expecting it to kick off

ddraig and teqniq like this.
  13. jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk ...just kids gone wild.

14. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Was back for Christmas, seemed to be a load of new stuff open/opening. There's Double Super Happy (dim sum/cocktails) where that dodge RnB club was on Westgate St, Fire Island (Buffalo/10ft. etc.'s new bar) also on Westgate Street, The Chapel (bar/restaurant) on Churchill Way, and Porter's (which is apparently an 'arts and artists bar') on Bute Terrace. There was also a new Italian place opening soon opposite 10ft Tall.

Only went in Fire Island and The Chapel.

Fire Island was great. No music on in the daytime for some reason, and none of the draught lagers were on (assuming that's a teething problem), but they had about 20 ales on if that's your thing. They also seemed to have an upstairs that wasn't open yet, but looked really nice (the doors were open when I went for a piss once).

The Chapel is unsurprisingly in the old chapel on Churchill Way. Was a bit too fancy for my liking, but seemed nice enough. Didn't eat there.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I saw some leaflets for the Fire Island place and was intrigued. I like Buffalo and 10ft so I deffo want to check it out next time I'm up.

16. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

I'd definitely recommend it. Only other negative thing I can think of was the lack of vegetarian food. I went there twice on Thursday, and I think they were operating a limited menu, since when I went in for food at lunch they had no veg options at all (so had to go to 10 Ft Tall... which I'm sure they weren't too bothered about). Went in again in the evening though, and they'd added a sweet potato dish.

Just remembered there's a Brazilian place opened beneath that newish hotel by Central as well. What happened to the recession?!

ddraig likes this.
  17. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

does anyone know if the family fireworks are on at the castle today? i can't find any reference to them in all the council pages, just fireworks at midnight :hmm:

18. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I've read the reviews and they are dire, seems the menu is always limited, the food dire and small portioned and service poor. Apart from that.......

Greebo likes this.
  19. poisondwarf

poisondwarf I have a chance...and it is fat.

Isn't The Chapel an upmarket Wetherspoons? We tried to go there after a meal on Churchill Way weeks ago and they wouldn't let us in as it was their opening party. I was in Porter's on Bute Terrace on Friday night as one of my friends knows the owner. They are planning all sorts with the menu entertainment in coming weeks but I can't remember what exactly as I was a little drunk. I do remember talking to the owner and explaining that in the late 90s, when it was a gay c lub, they used to have an all you can drink for £10 night and he said, rather sniffily that that sort of think wouldn't be happening!

20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

very much don't think so, costs a lot and difficultish to charge. wasn't on last year iirc and they would be promoting it
    was asked to work 7am-1am today but declined!

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

/London gatecrasher

Anyone eaten in Tony's Restaurant & Pizzeria lately? Still open?

22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

"better than Abba" tribute at Calennig alongside city hall

23. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

where's that to badgers?

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

25. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

i thought the chapel was meant to be having a refit for Raymond Blanc?

27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah their food has slacked right off
    stopped eating in buffalo a while back and the mrs had to send back hummus with no flavour at 10ft tall a couple of days ago, they seem to think a dash of paprika is fine, where's the garlic etc!

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I noted that they're starting work on putting the old main platform back into use at Cardiff Queen Street. That used to be a lovely station until the demolished the attractive stone buildings, flattened the overall canopy and replaced it with a miserly one island platform -which they've since already had to put back Platform 3 for the Bay traffic.

29. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yes both central and queen st are being done up a bit and as you say, expanding Queen st

artists impression
    [​IMG]
    http://yourcardiff.walesonline.co.uk/2011/02/09/new-plans-revealed-for-cardiff-main-rail-stations/

30. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

cheers ddraig i figured as much. shame, the kids always enjoyed it.