1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbuncle Cup shortlists six contenders for worst building of 2017

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Sep 5, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I'm pleased to say that the Preston carbunkle is a lightly used side entrance to the station, and most visitors and residents will rarely have their eyes sullied with its banality.

3. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I quite like it.

[​IMG]

4. littlebabyjesus

I usually find something I like in these lists. I don't hate the student accommodation. The cack-handed attempt at modernism tacked on to a solid victorian building is almost so bad it's good.

5. TruXta

TruXta tired

FridgeMagnet and sealion like this.
  6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

The building in Victoria is weird, and the entrance to Preston Station looks like a cheap bike shed. The Portsmouth tower - ugh. Looks horrible.

But Battersea - is that giant glass wart attached to the old brick station directly, or is it a trick of of the angle? It loos horrible from that angle anyway.

7. TruXta

TruXta tired

Directly attached afaics.

8. littlebabyjesus

They wrangled for years and years and years about what to do with BPS. And we end up with that. It's the only one on the list that actually makes me angry. The rest are just a bit meh at worst.

9. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Not directly attached. You can see from this panorama: ReedDesign - Panoramas - Battersea Power Station

Hideous isn't it!

Chemical needs and Chilli.s like this.
  10. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Hideous indeed.

11. salem

salem Well-Known Member

WTF is that Battersea thing. I've not been down that way in ages but they've not really blocked the view of one of London's most iconic buildings with *that* have they?!?

12. TruXta

TruXta tired

And the winner is...

[​IMG]

13. TruXta

TruXta tired

The front is still visible.

14. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Which side do you mean by 'the front'? The view from the north bank of the river? There's not much they can do to block that view, but the view from the south (which is currently still clear) will get blocked as they progress with more of the development, which I think will form a horseshoe shape around the power station.

15. TruXta

TruXta tired

Yes, from the opposite bank. Not sure how much you see looking down west?

16. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

That's the least worst by quite some way.

17. TruXta

TruXta tired

I might pop up in my lunch hour and have a look.

18. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Because of the way the river curves, the view from the west is obscured by other buildings on the south bank between the power station and Vauxhall Bridge. Youy can still see it from the southern end of Vauxhall Bridge, but I think that view will be obscured when the development is completed.

battersea.jpg

19. TruXta

TruXta tired

Fuck me the state of that stretch of land! Both sides really, although the south bank is pure architectural poison.

20. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Yup! This is the view down Nine Elms Lane as you approach the power station going west from Vauxhall Bridge.

battersea1.jpg
    battersea2.jpg

21. TruXta

TruXta tired

Such conviviality.... Bet it's a hoot round there in the evening.

RoyReed likes this.
  22. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Same here, but the golden one does make chuckle...how do you sell masssively overpriced cunt-hutches that sit right next to a busy railway line to the super-rich? Clad them in 'gold'! The gold bit looks quite cheery I think tbh. THough yes, these fuckers have ruined a swathe of London.

Also up the road Nova Victoria, yes its another glass monstrosity as they all are, but at least its red and adds a bit of colour. Looks bad in the photo but verging on quite good in the real world

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

You don't honestly believe that the majority will be occupied? :D

24. ska invita

my point stands :thumbs:

25. ska invita

The handy thing about the glass one next to the gold one is you can see which ones are occupied as they're total goldfish bowls. Some people have moved in already though, even though they're still under construction

26. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

They should give it to the Wally Talky every year. It's still as shit as it ever was.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  27. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

That view is a fucking horrible mishmash of awful buildings.

28. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

The battersea power station, is that right up against that yellow block of flats?

29. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

No, there's that whole glass monstrosity between it and the power station.

30. ska invita

Well looks as if Nova Victoria "won" (or lost). Its really not that bad, relatively speaking. Victoria is such a mess already, i think it cheers up the place a bit.