Car, repairs, tax, MOT

Discussion in 'transport' started by mrs quoad, Apr 4, 2016.

1. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

We have a car.

It was rear-ended.

It's being repaired later this week week.

In the meantime, it's been due its MOT. Which it won't pass. Because of the sharp bumper. Which is about to be repaired.

In the meantime, its tax appears to've run out yesterday.

It's not being driven. It's awaiting repairs.

However, what should we do?

Need to be able to drive it for repairs. Need to get it repaired and MOTed before it can be taxed. Need to tax it before we can drive.

What's the legal solution?

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Perhaps ask the repair shop if they can collect it for you, ask if they can MOT it for you also ..

3. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Insurance authorised repair ℅ doesn't do MOTs. May have to enquiry about collection tho.

(They're already collecting. Wonder if they need a car transporter..)

4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

torch it

A380, Sweet FA, Ground Elder and 4 others like this.
  5. weltweit

Probably one of those small trucks with a flat bed.

Get the repair done. Then book an MOT, you are allowed to drive an un MOT'd car to an MOT station if you have booked an appointment. Then road tax.

6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The legal way to do it would be:

- book an MOT
    - drive to that, fail it
    - drive to the place of repair, repair it
    - book your MOT re-test, which should cost less
    - drive to that, pass
    - tax it there & then

Why not just duct tape the bumper - see all Ford Mondeos ever - to cover up the sharp bits?

7. weltweit

For the future, you can MOT a car with 4 weeks left on the old certificate. The new MOT still runs from the date on the certificate and if there is work needed you can still drive about because it is covered still on the old MOT certificate.

mrs quoad likes this.
  8. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I suspect you might be on dodgy ground if you had an accident (especially if it was caused by something that caused the failure), surely the new MOT supersedes the previous one? :hmm:

mauvais' suggestion seems like the best approach. Or if the repairing garage are collecting the car, let them transport it then book an MOT for after the repair and take it straight from one garage to the other.

dessiato likes this.
  9. mauvais

MOTs are just a snapshot of a moment in time. They're not invalidated by subsequent ones - only by the 12 months running out or possibly certain other actions like writing it off.

But, there's then the question of roadworthiness. To drive an unroadworthy car would be illegal. There's a strong (but not direct) correlation between MOT failure and lack of roadworthiness. I say not direct because e.g. you'd fail your MOT for having your headlight bulbs out, but it'd still be roadworthy to drive around on a sunny day.

weltweit likes this.
  10. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

Is it on the public road, or is it off road (e.g. driveway)?

If it's not on the public highway, you can declare SORN (statutory off road notification) which basically tells DVLA that you haven't re-taxed it because it's not on the road and they won't bother you about it. (although you can get done for driving around in a vehicle that's been SORN'd.)

Although you are allowed to drive a SORN'd vehicle for a booked MOT test, even if you know damn well it's going to fail.

More here.

(Although if car has sharp edges, or other things that make it unroadworthy / unsafe, you could possibly get done for driving it on the road.)

If you're in semi - private car park (e.g. car park of flats) it may depend on what your lease / tenancy agreement says - i'm a leaseholder and it's somewhere in the lease that any car parked in the car park has to be taxed and MOT'd (although I'm not sure they would necessarily notice for a few days if a vehicle isn't an obvious heap and nobody complains) - although bear in mind that whether a vehicle is taxed and MOT'd is now public domain on the interwebs.

I think they generally give a couple of weeks' grace before they start issuing penalties for not re-taxing, and of course when you do, you'll have to pay back to the start of April. (this is a vague recollection, don't take it as legal advice.)

11. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

So a non-fault accident? Have a chat with the 3rd party insurer. Tell them your predicament and as it has been caused by the person they represent ask them what they plan to do about it. This won't have been the first time this has happened.

12. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Car just failed its MOT. £260 to put it right. Which is frankly more than I can afford. :(

This is why people rob banks.

13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

What did it fail on and what is it?

14. mauvais

£260 ain't at all bad in the context of cars, but if you can't afford it, that's little consolation isn't it :(

Just don't use said car as your bank job getaway vehicle cos you'll probably be busted by some jobsworth cop for 'OSF indicator not sufficiently orange' or some such.

A380 and danny la rouge like this.
  15. danny la rouge

It failed on several things, including a rear seat belt that needs to be delivered and a hand brake cable that's about to snap.

It's a seven-year-old Peugeot. It's been pretty reliable to be fair.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Would you not feel confident enough to take those on yourself. The handbrake cable's not hard to DIY and the seatbelt's a piece of piss.

All you need is one of these and some tools.

plurker, Enviro and danny la rouge like this.
  17. danny la rouge

I've given them the go ahead, but you're right, I could probably have fixed the half dozen things myself.

(I've put in on my credit card. I don't usually use it for "borrowing", but as "cash" which I pay off immediately with funds I know I have. I know it's not an efficient way to borrow, but I need the car legal before Monday).

Spymaster likes this.
  18. weltweit

danny la rouge it sounds like you need to find this thing that I had for a couple of years.

A local private mechanic. The one I found had been 10 years an RAC roadside repairman and knew cars inside out, plus he had worked on Peugeot engines (which my then car had) and when my clutch failed, as they periodically do, and a garage quoted me £450 to replace it, he did it in a couple of evenings for £170 cash.

Obviously I didn't get a warranty like I might have from a garage, but at the time £450 seemed way more than I could afford.

Now I have moved to a new area so can't continue using him which is a great shame, but I will take my own advice to help me find someone similar in the new place.

And what is that advice? it is simply to ask your local taxi drivers who they use and investigate them!

cupid_stunt likes this.
  19. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

That's what I've always done, ask a few taxi drivers as a starter for 10.

weltweit likes this.
  20. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Dual wheel mass flywheel, or whatever it's called, went on mine in February. £850 to fix that! They do the clutch at the same time, apparently. That hit me hard, and ruled out any holidays this year!!
    I need to book it in for an MOT before the end of August, and having trees down at the back of the garden to the tune of £900.

I think it might be another expensive month, with little to show for it!

weltweit likes this.
  21. smmudge

smmudge Sissy that walk!

The first time I MOT'd my car it cost me £1000 to get it through :eek:

I wouldn't get a used peugeot or citroen or a new one I intended to keep for more than 3 years, there's a reason they're cheap second hand!!

My Honda needs to go to the garage as it's really jerky to drive, when I spoke to the service lady she said she was pretty sure she knew what the problem was and would be £125 to flush out & replace the something fluid, I was pretty relieved as i'd been thinking the worst, like £££s for a new transmission.

Cars are so expensive grr

weltweit likes this.
  22. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I've got 2 cheap 6-year old vans, a Peugeot and a Citroen, both passed the MOT a few weeks back and with no advisories.

Actually, I tell a lie, one failed as it needed a new rear number plate bulb, which cost me around £2, so I can live with that. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    weltweit likes this.
  23. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

Yep, a good local mechanic or independent garage, I use two very good trustworthy garages, both members of the Good Garage Scheme, as I need receipts for my accounts.

I would never use a main-dealer, they are only interested in replacing parts & not doing repairs, nor any of these national chains of auto-centres, as their staff are often on commission. I've heard endless stories of people getting stupid quotes from main-dealers or auto-centres, and then getting it fixed at a fraction of the cost by a decent local independent garage.

24. weltweit

Many years ago I had company cars and we all had a card in our wallets with the details of the organisation which handled servicing repairs and whatnot. If we needed something doing we called them and the car was collected from us, wherever we were at the time, and returned fixed and washed before the end of the day.

They had a national database of trusted independent garages which they used and they got feedback from us as to quality and promptness of work done.

eta: and they also had a database of how much each repair cost across all their vehicles and garages so they knew how much to pay per piece of work.

When I left the company, and had my own car again, I called them and asked which garage they used from my home location? They recommended a small independent garage near my local town, tucked away in an estate which I would never have heard of. They didn't collect and wash my car but they did all the repairs I needed for some years at very reasonable prices.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    cupid_stunt likes this.
  25. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Well not really, The old MOT is still valid, so you cant be prosecuted for not having a valid MOT, but the new Mot test has found the car to be unroadworthy, which is an offence, so you would be prosecuted for that instead.

26. weltweit

I suppose it depends what the fail is for. I don't think split CV joint rubber bellows is going to see you get prosecuted.

27. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Be interested to know who that company was, and if they take calls from any joe bloggs! I seem to be swamped with cowboys round here!

28. weltweit

Unfortunately I can't recall what they were called. But I do know they catered for company car fleets in the main. I did wonder if such a service might work for the private motorist but I think the needs are slightly different.

29. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Well it's unlikely to be detected at roadside!

30. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Two new tyres needed last week to get through our MOT. Other than that all good.

Sadly each tyre cost £295 :(