Car insurance question

Discussion in 'transport' started by colacubes, Feb 27, 2018.

1. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

So it looks like I'm getting a car in a couple of weeks :thumbs:

I haven't owned a car myself for 15 odd years so obviously have no No Claims Discount. However, just looking at insurance quotes on a comparison site it's asking whether I was a named driver on any car and if so, how many years claim free driving I have. I've been a member of Zipcar for the best part of 10 years and no claims in that time. However, I can't seem to find any info on whether that would count for the purposes of named driver? Has anyone had any experience of this? It seems to make a saving of about £90 per year if I could use this, but it's massively unclear whether I can.

Any advice or experience welcome!

2. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Am I allowed to ask why you're getting a car?

3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Why do you want to know?

urbanspaceman likes this.
  4. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I doubt it, but I don't know much about Zipcar. Have you continuously held some sort of insurance policy with them?

Named drivers are normally when someone else (e.g. your partner) is the policyholder on a usually 12-month long insurance policy, and you are named on that policy as an insured person who can drive the car.

Really only your prospective insurer can answer this for you. Give them a ring.

colacubes likes this.
  5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It won't count towards any NCB that I'm aware of.

When you use Zipcar it isn't really you that is insured, it's Zipcar. It's like hiring a car. There may be insurers who'll give you a small credit but It's not usual. Best to call a broker.

colacubes likes this.
  6. colacubes

Moved and access to Zipcar/public transport not as good as it was. Plus worked out amount was spending on hiring/zipcar over the course of the last 2 years and it works out considerably more than the costs of running a car (given I'm being gifted it for free). Won't be for everyday use or commuting.

7. colacubes

Yeah I've done a bit more reading now and I think you're right. Might have a word with a broker to see if it can be taken into account but suspect I'll just have to suck it up. Never mind.

Spymaster likes this.
  8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

It's definitely worth being a named driver on someone's insurance even if you never actually drive.

We had older (more responsible) people named on our insurance when we'd only just started driving and that brought our insurance down too.

hash tag likes this.
  9. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

I think there's some discussion there about how useful it is...

colacubes likes this.
  10. colacubes

I used to be named driver on my Mum's insurance but she took me off when she got a new car as it worked out more expensive unfortunately (whereas before I'd made it cheaper!).

11. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

How car insurance works is a complete mystery to me

12. mauvais

How long ago?

13. colacubes

I think she got her new car about 2 years ago from memory.

14. mauvais

Most insurers accept NCB - from policyholders, don't know about named drivers - from policies that ended up to two years ago, so worth finding out the specifics.

kebabking and colacubes like this.
  15. colacubes

Ta. Will check dates.

16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

colacubes - you might find that an older car and specifying a limited annual mileage brings the premium down.
    Friends did this with their Rover75 recently.

colacubes likes this.
  17. colacubes

It is an older car so that's something. Will fiddle to see re mileage. Thanks.

18. kabbes

Mostly, it's a way for insurers to turn money into less money.

kebabking likes this.
  19. teuchter

I know quite a few people who once swore on point of principle they'd never own a car, who have then at some point sold out. It's usually prompted by moving out of London. Sometimes related to having kids.

I'm interested in what drives car ownership because I'm interested in things that reduce car dependency, which is something that I think is a problem. As I expect you are well aware.

(Setting aside the issue of availability) what was the scale of the difference in cost between ownership/zipcar? Would the calculation have worked out differently had you not been gifted a car, do you think?

20. colacubes

Yes definitely. Saving is probably in the order of a few hundred pounds per year. If I'd bought a car there may have been a minimal difference depending on cost.

21. teuchter

That's taking into account costs of insurance, maintenance, parking, vehicle tax, etc?

22. colacubes

Yep. And fuel.

23. kabbes

"Sold out" :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid people's circumstances change.

kebabking, A380, mauvais and 2 others like this.
  24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

very droll

25. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

When I moved back to the UK after a long time away I spoke to a proper broker who arranged 2 year’s complimentary NCB on a new policy with Aviva

26. teuchter

Hm. For non-regular use I might have hoped that the zipcar option would be the better one financially. Have you taken a view on the risk of something going wrong with the car that results in a one-off repair cost that cancels out the saving?

It would be interesting if you were to report back in a year on how the costs actually added up, compared to your predictions.

27. teuchter

I use the term in the context of how they talked about it in the past. Because they didn't describe their decision not to own a car as one based on current circumstances, but one based on principle, whether that be environmental, social or otherwise. Some of them have, themselves, described it as selling out. Maybe one day I'll become a car owner. If so I'll accept that I've sold out.

Those who have never made a principled point of non car ownership, whose circumstances change, I'd not accuse of "selling out".

28. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

teuchter - much as I would like to reduce my dependency on motor vehicles, since I live about 600ft higher and at least a mile and a half from the nearest points of public transport / local shops / doctors plus the weather factor (which is currently snowing !) nor am I spritely 20/30 something - how do you suggest I proceed ?
    IMO - reducing car dependency maybe a practical proposition for urban / suburban areas but is a non-starter out here in the sticks !

colacubes - sorry for the thread derail but ...

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  29. teuchter

We start with urban areas yes. The changes necessary are much smaller and they also contain the majority of the population.

There's no reason rural areas can't become less car dependent. It's not a non-starter at all. But the changes that would be required are greater. That said, depending on what happens with self-driving vehicles, maybe we are approaching a point where the changes will become easier, or even happen by themselves.

30. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes