Car insurance claim, help/advice needed!

Discussion in 'transport' started by Utopia, Oct 10, 2019 at 6:30 AM.

1. Utopia

Utopia "Jackanackanory"

Help!

So Mrs Utopia, was driving, with our 3 year old in the back, and was hit on the passenger door/wheel arch by another car, relatively slow incident so no damage to anyone thankfully.

It was on a 3 lane roundabout, she was in the correct lane going straight on whilst someone wanted to go right from the wrong lane and she was side swiped.

He's admitted fault and he gave us all his details which are correct!, we've damage to the panels and the door creaks when opening but otherwise the cars fine. We've both got fully comp. Now our car is a VW golf plus from 2005, we cycle a lot so the car is only really for shopping. day outs and school runs as we live in a tiny village, I hate to say it bus since we've moved out of London and had a child we NEED a car, our insurers say its now a write off.

The cars current worth is around £1200, the excess is £500, that will be deducted from the worth of the car, which leaves us with a payout of £700 which isn't much to get a new car with (I think we can claim the excess from the other driver but that could take up to 18 months!). I ideally don't want to get rid of the car as its in great nick and works perfectly.

Anyone with knowledge of insurance policies can advise us on what to do?, what are our options?, it seems really unfair that because of someones else mistake we now lose out and have to struggle.

Thanks Urban!

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The trouble with cars of that value is that pretty much any damage that you'd claim for will write them off. Once that happens they become the property of the insurance company who then sell them into their own dealer/salvage networks. Given that you’ve already informed the insurance company (as you should have) your only option really is to
    ask them if you can buy it back from them from the payout amount. They may or may not agree and if they do you’ll have to run a damaged car as repairing it won’t be worthwhile. I’m pretty sure that they will also register it as a write off with the DVLA and assign it a salvage category, probably ‘N’ which will effectively make the car valueless.

If you disagree with the valuation there are other avenues but it’s all aggro and unless it's low mileage and super-pristine, £1200 for an 05 Golf+ is fair.

I’d be inclined to take the money. It really shouldn’t take anywhere near 18 months for the other insurer to settle and it’s perfectly possible to pick up a serviceable runaround for under a grand.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    polly, A380, Duncan2 and 9 others like this.
  3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Spy is being unusually accurate and helpful here. Has his account been hacked?

High Voltage, MickiQ, a_chap and 2 others like this.
  4. pug

pug Well-Known Member

You should be able to claim some expenses for taxi's etc

5. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

I would go with the buy-back option.

I would have also gone with the whiplash option too, but sounds like that ship has sailed.

6. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

You’d lie?

7. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Ah, who’s to really say what damage has been done and is lying dormant?

8. Bahnhof Strasse

Of course.

9. moomoo

That’s not good.

A380 likes this.
  10. Bahnhof Strasse

Why not? They will be losing out financially for a crash that wasn’t their fault, whiplash will compensate for that loss :)

friedaweed and Poi E like this.
  11. moomoo

But they haven’t got whiplash. So it wouldn’t be true.

Someone bumped into me a few years back. I had about a thousand calls from shysters trying to get me to claim for whiplash. Ugh.

A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  12. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

If liability is not in doubt then have a chat with the third party insurer to see if they are prepared to pay for a hire car for a period of time. They really are obliged to whereas your own insurer will only do it for probably 3 days. Th e TP insurer should allow you a reasonable period of time to source a a new car. Probably a couple of weeks after pay out but it varies and depends how good you are at negotiating.

As an aside whilst its an arse that someone has written your car off its very decent of the TP to admit liability. Roundabout accidents are notoriously difficult to apportion blame usually if both parties blame each other.

polly likes this.
  13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Fixed that.

Don't do this folks. You don't know what was going on in the other car at the time of the accident (other driver might have been on the phone or pissed etc) and you don't know what may have led to the crash. Even if it seems pretty cut and dried, an admission might make things difficult for the insurers who instruct you not to admit liability. Give an honest statement to the old bill if necessary but don't tell the other driver that it was your fault, even if you think it was.

kabbes, Poi E and a_chap like this.
  14. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

if you really want to keep current car, may be better to withdraw claim and just get it repaired, rather than go through write off / buy back then get repaired

write off will be harder to re-insure, you will probably have to pay for dvla inspection (they want to be sure that a repaired write-off is legit, not a laundered stolen car)

or cut losses and get something else instead

hash tag likes this.
  15. Teaboy

tbh there is a lot of stuff said around accepting liability and all that but a lot of its not particularly accurate. Yes there is something to be said for not discussing liability at the roadside but in the end you can still wind it back later even if you did. It can be blamed on stress or shock or in one case I dealt with a signed note accepting liability was kicked out because it was later found to be signed under duress. :rolleyes:

Ultimately though if you know you are at fault you should choke for it because it doesn't make much difference to you if you are found to be 100% at fault or 75% at fault, its still a claim against your insurance. If you know its your fault but are fighting for split liability you're just needlessly dicking over an innocent person. Knock for knock would be a different matter.

16. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Nope, sorry, no chance. There are loads of reasons not to admit liability at the scene but this sums it up quite well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 10:26 AM
  17. Teaboy

You've misunderstood, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I was talking about accepting liability in general, as in when you speak to your own insurer later on. I did say that its probably best not to discuss liability at the roadside but even if you do that it can and is regularly wound back from. Fact is of course most people are not experts on these things so its best to leave it to those who are which is of course what they are always going to advise.

If you are to blame and you know it, it is the right thing to do to admit liability even if its just to your own insurer. It saves a lot of time, money and general dicking around. In the case of the op it will make no difference financially to them whether it was full liability or partial liability but it does make a difference to the op and as such that's why I think its the decent and right thing to do.

18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

To your own insurers, of course. They ask the question when you make the claim "who in your opinion was liable for the accident?" Nobody, except perhaps Bahnhof Strasse, would seriously advise bullshitting your own insurance company.

A380, friedaweed and Badgers like this.
  19. Teaboy

You'd be amazed how few people are prepared to accept full liability. It was dealing with this stuff for a few years when I first learnt how many people struggle to cope with the concept of blame and how something might be entirely their fault. Now I've realised it I can see it everywhere in many aspects of life and its really quite fascinating and destructive.

A380 likes this.
  20. Bahnhof Strasse

*Side-swipes Spymaster's motor*

a_chap, moomoo, cupid_stunt and 2 others like this.
  21. Teaboy

...and leaves note on windscreen saying "I'm only writing this note because there are people watching".

A380, a_chap, moomoo and 3 others like this.
  22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

"Sorry I hit your car" is always a good one.

23. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Aren't insurers using lie detector software on their phone lines now to catch out petty crims like Bahnhof Strasse ?

24. moomoo

I actually had an old lady leave me her number on my windscreen after she hit my parked car.

But my car has so many scratches already that I couldn’t tell which she had caused so I called her and told her to not worry about it.

yield, polly, clicker and 3 others like this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

The answer to this is, of course, ALL of them!

friedaweed and Teaboy like this.
  26. Teaboy

Not to mention all the fag burns on the upholstery.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  27. Bahnhof Strasse

Heh, about 10 years ago my mum was doing a scam with a sofa and roped me in against my will. I had to suffer a 90 minute phone call whilst they went over the story repeatedly. I thought they may have a lie detector, (voice stress detector is what they use), so I had 6 beers before the call. Add that to my natural lisp and the results were skewed... :)

polly, A380, friedaweed and 1 other person like this.
  28. Bahnhof Strasse

And the whiplash, on all five of you!!!!

29. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

In case this helps.

Not so long ago I was rear ended in my 06 Corsa, value possibly £1k. It was written off by the insurance company as an economic write off. (can't recall the proper word) I got £1k insurance payout and bought it back from my insurers for something like £60.00

My insurance company would not reinstate fully comp insurance until I had had the car put through a new MOT test (they would however permit me to drive it under 3rd party). So, I got the bumper tweaked for £70.00 got the new MOT and was then properly back on the road.

If it is either obviously the other parties fault or they have admitted liability and their insurance accept this, these things can be dealt with quite quickly. I didn't have to pay my excess, that was taken care of by the other driver.

Something to wonder however is the state of the side of your car, if there are now sharp edges revealed to the outside that might cause it to fail an MOT.

30. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Just to add. An insurance company will normally send out an assessor to check the likely costs of repairing your car before they may decide it is a write off. If you have a discussion with them when they have done their work they should be able to tell you if it is likely to pass an MOT in the state it is then in.