Car anti theft devices

Discussion in 'transport' started by telbert, Sep 29, 2018.

1. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Ive just been told by a neighbour that his car was stolen last week along with another neighbours car a few days before. Same make and model both times and the second one was recorded on cctv showing two hoodrats with a tablet/ laptop at the side of the car for about 45 mins. Both cars had alarms/immobilisers fitted as does mine which is also parked in the same area. What other devices can be used to deter these thieves? Is a physical deterrent like a steering wheel lock going to be effective ? Advice required please.

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Stick a rottweiler in your car. Don't feed it.

Ax^, T & P and PippinTook like this.
  3. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

What's your car?

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

If you have keyless the first thing you need is a decent steering wheel lock. I use this one. It’s pricey at £100 but is a drop in the ocean to anyone buying merc’s, bmw’s And range rovers. I know it’s not nice to be told your an idiot after the event but it always baffles me when people are happy to drop potentially thousands on a high end car but are too tight to spend £100 on a wheel lock that will probably be enough of a deterrent. Downside is you’ll probably keep the key on same key ring as car so if they are really want your car and are prepared to enter the house then they will get it anyway.

Disklok

If you really want to go whole hog. Get a ghost immobiliser. They aren’t taking your car with one of these unless they pull it on a wagon. It’s invisible behind the dash. Connects to ecu and you can only start the car by pressing a combination of buttons on the steering wheel this can be anything between 4 and 20 button presses.

This costs about £400 but is transferable from car to car. You’ll just need to pay the installation fee again.

NEW! Autowatch Ghost CANbus Immobiliser

Poi E and a_chap like this.
  5. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I've got one which I bought years ago. I can't remember the make, but it shocks anyone interfering with it. I'm not sure if it is legal. I must recharge it.

6. gosub

gosub ~#

Buy a shit car. I had one I used to start with a spoon, that I left unlocked a squat party in Bristol, was still there untouched after 4 days, much to my annoyance

7. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Merc E220

8. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

That.

9. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

take out the rotor arm every night

10. 2hats

2hats

I pootle around (30K+km/year) in a lightly battered, scratched, small, 15+ year old, one litre Japanese car, which I never clean. It’s easy to park, very cheap to run, comfortable enough to drive and has been utterly reliable. It’s also ULEZ compliant (such was the far-sightedness of the constructor). No one has ever shown the remotest interest in it as best as I can divine, though I sometimes put a steering wheel lock on it just to weight the odds further in my favour (eg when I am leaving it parked on a road for days at a time).

11. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Wait for the "i'm in hospital due to get shocked taking off my steering lock" Thread

12. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

I had something like this on my former puddymobile

[​IMG]

which the twunts who nicked it managed just to break

this was a car too old to have electronic immobiliser or anything like that and would have been hot-wire-able, which is probably why (apart from being parked somewhere a bit dark - the light outside the flats here was out of action at the time) they chose it.

getting mercs without keys does seem to be a thing - can find a news article (daily fail) here from april 2017 about it, so doesn't seem to be anything new.

13. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Which year?

14. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I like it that car thievery now requires IT skills. Opens doors.

Bahnhof Strasse and cybershot like this.
  15. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

driving a 18 year old astra

tends to keep the car thieves away

:hmm:

marty21 and dessiato like this.
  16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

not necessarily.

i didn't think a 25 year old peugeot 205 diesel would be that much of a target...

Ax^ likes this.
  17. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

I remember taking the rotor arm out my car when parking in Shoredich 20 odd years ago.

18. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Panama hat on the rear shelf and a national trust sticker.

marty21 likes this.
  19. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Some years ago, when I lived near Enfield, we used to put brightly coloured steering locks on both our cars. I don't recall why we stopped, nor where the locks are now!

20. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

You'll never guess what happens next

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  21. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I just discovered theatrical smoke cartridges on Ebay :)
    With my bike it's more likely to be highway robbery, so I'm maxing out the horns to go with the blinding front light ... but the afore-mentioned pyrotechnic is a definite possibility ...

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

45 minutes; did you mean 45 seconds (this example is about 30 seconds). I would have thought the engine would only run all the time there is a connection between the car and the key. Did the person in the clip "copy" the key?
    I believe our car stateside self locks if you gain entry using the keyless feature and locks itself if the key is removed from the vicinity (but not in UK). I would have thought by the same means the engine would switch of.
    How thieves stole £30k car in less than a minute without using a key

23. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

The range is very low, mine has a keyless ignition, more than once I've started the car and the wife has then said she has left something in the house, If I give her the house key on the same ring as the car key, the car starts complaining that the key is out of range but it doesn't shut the engine off.
    I'd imagine that to start a car with one of these relays the owner would have to leave the key near the front door for it to work.

24. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Thinking on further does the nicked car have one of those systems where it unlocks when the key is close?, Mine doesn't you have to press a button on the key to get it to open.

25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I don't need to operate the fob to open a door, but, I have to use a special button on the car door.

26. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Which makes it very stealable if the key is close enough, ultimately all cars are easy to steal with the low tech mechanism of waiting by the front door and smacking the owner with a baseball bat when he comes out.

27. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

This keyless technology is a bit shit really isn't it? I mean its a tiny bit handy but putting your hand in your pocket / handbag was hardly an arduous task but now nice cars can be nicked with just a laptop.

MickiQ likes this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The good thing about the modern technology is that the cars can now be stolen without physical violence.
    Time for another remake of gone in 60 seconds? :D

MickiQ likes this.
  29. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Some scumbags broke into my brother’s car on his driveway using electronic wizardry and made off with three grand’s worth of camera equipment he’d foolishly left in the boot. Not just a problem of having the car nicked itself.

30. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

There was a story recently about a gang that were sniffing key codes in services on the M4 and taking the cars when the owners had gone into the service area. It seemed very easy for them to copy the radio code and then repeat it from their lappy to open the cars.

My car is immune to this :)

Ax^ likes this.