1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canterbury Arms, Brixton to be turned into flats - planning application

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by colacubes, Feb 28, 2013.

1. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Being a miserable old fucker I remember the Canterbury when we put on benefits for the fire service and the miners when Sean was the publican before he went to the White Horse.It was part of my life and while I haven't been in in recent decades it feels like part of me has been ripped out.

Gramsci, editor and madolesance like this.
  2. technical

technical stripey

What winds me up is that what is happening to many pubs in London is different to elsewhere in the country - where the smoking ban, drink driving becoming morally unacceptable, competition from supermarkets etc have driven many pubs out of business.

Here we have a viable and much loved pub simply being forced to close by property market forces. While gastro-fied pubs like the Tulse Hill Tavern are all very well - the likes of the Canterbury are becoming very few and far between.

Eggby, Plumdaff, leanderman and 4 others like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Leviticus 26:12

That's my table under David Beckham. Reading the well thumbed Irish independent that was available every day. Can't believe it's going to be gone.

Here's the kind of people that run that pub: In the Spring 2 Irish friends from Amsterdam came over to visit. We went in on the Friday on the piss. One of the lads is a Dub and there was a league Gaelic football final between Cork and Dublin he wanted to watch on that Sunday. Brian said he'd have it on.

Come Sunday it was much busier than expected for a Chelsea game so they had to show the soccer on both TVs. Fair enough we thought, majority rules and there's a business to run. Did we have to miss the Gaelic football? Did we fuck. Brian put it on for us in their kitchen. So 2 people he met for the first time the previous Friday were welcome into his home to watch a game rather than miss it.

Slán agus beannacht libh go léir. Go mbeirimid beo ag an am seo arís.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm sad and I'm fucking angry.

6. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

They're having a clearance sale this weekend.

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've posted up the details of brixtonbuzz.com.

Gramsci, Greebo and Angellic like this.
  8. Brixton Brief

Brixton Brief Well-Known Member

Is there really nothing that can be done? Have the Brixton Society or CAMRA submitted an application for listing?

How imminent is the demolition?

Its architecture may be common for a mid-Victorian pub, but the interior really is extraordinary, and a rare link to Brixton’s music hall history.

Greebo and editor like this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The sticking point was that Lambeth did not put the pub in the Town Centre conservation area (deliberately?).
    Camra and Brixton Society looked at the case - and spoke at Planning Committee when it was considered. Check boohoo if she's around. Probably has better recall of this than me.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  10. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Fantastic story! Says it all.

Mr Retro and Greebo like this.
  11. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

What's its link to music hall history? I've not seen much interest in Brixton's music hall history - I'm sure it will happen at some point.

Greebo likes this.
  12. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

I was in the Blythe Hill Tavern in Catford last night (lovely place, proper no-nonsense boozer - the barmen wear shirts and ties - and does ace ales) and one of the barmen said hello to me. I couldn't place him - he looked familiar, but where was he from? Maybe the shirt and tie threw me.

Had a quick chat with him - it was the guy from the Canterbury (Brian?). So if you want to say hello to him, head over to Catford.

Eggby, editor, oryx and 2 others like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. darryl

Aw, fuck :-(

Greebo likes this.
  16. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I feel sad about it and rarely visit pubs these days.

Greebo likes this.
  17. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

No.

Greebo likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. darryl

Never mind a "dislike" button, need a "hate" button.

20. darryl

Just popped this on my FB and the first person to comment in disgust at this was a guy I used to work with who stood as a Labour candidate at the last general election. Haven't the heart to respond that his party colleagues allowed this.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You should tell him. Definitely.

22. darryl

Nah, I had a go at him a little while back on one of his posts over Sadiq Khan's inept, hypocritical uselessness in one of those post-pub internet rants I thought I gave up years ago. Anyhow, the wording of my post is "Bastards. Both the developers, and the Lambeth councillors who approved it", so he should get the message :)

editor likes this.
  23. Domz83

Domz83 New Member

It's Eamon in The Blythe. Marys brother.

darryl likes this.
  24. darryl

Ah, that's it - thank you. The Blythe is doing a lovely cider called Sea Cider at the moment, worth a visit even if Eamon's not there.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh look: they're sneakily expanding the development and squeezing in 6 more private apartments. What a surprise.

[​IMG]

News | Unit Architects

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Well-Known Member

Not very sneaky considering they've advertised it on their website and put it in the planning application

28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

This palatial building has all the charm of a multi-storey car park.

29. darryl

And probably an implicit threat to Lambeth that they'll leave the site empty and sell it on for profit if they don't get their way.

Greebo and editor like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I only saw that they'd decided to bolt on six extra flats to the development and increase its size because I was searching on line and came across the architect's site. It really does feel a bit underhand. What's the point of 'consulting' with the public if you're just going to then increase the build without bothering to tell anyone?

Greebo and CH1 like this.