1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canterbury Arms, Brixton to be turned into flats - planning application

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by colacubes, Feb 28, 2013.

1. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

nipsla likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Mrs Magpie and nipsla like this.
  4. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Wow, what does that mean I wonder? Thanks for the tip-off.

nipsla likes this.
  5. clandestino

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the outline of the application:

7. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

A2?

Will it become a Hedge Fund I wonder... :D

8. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

They'll sell it to developers/Lambeth Council I reckon. It's right in the middle of the bit they want to redevelop - International House, the ice rink/car park etc.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I fear Brixton's about to lose another pub sooner or later :(

10. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

is that the pink pub opposite that council canterburry crescent building?

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

del.jpg

Pink? It's always been yellow and black, unless they've suddenly changed the paint scheme.

12. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

i think I'm thinking of the wrong pub. there is one opposite the lambeth building near brixton police station. swear it was a pink external coloured wall pub. maybe not.

13. Brixton Hatter

As someone said on another thread, it's owned by Conway Taverns, a small family firm of pubs. Apparently they've been slowly selling off one or two pubs here & there over the past few years.

There was some discussion on the boards back in March about the Canterbury change of use application.

14. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

that would be a fucking tragedy. i love that place. properly old school, complete with the grumpiest landlord on earth. i assumed the family owned it? he certainly runs it like his personal fiefdom...

15. footballerslegs

footballerslegs Well-Known Member

That's what I've heard - for housing development, eventually linked into work around the ice rink.

16. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Who owns the Ice rink?

17. Brixton Hatter

Lambeth.

It was supposed to be turned back into a car park - but I can't see it happening. The land is too valuable. Especially now they can't build on the Rec. So I think it will be a massive development of flats/shops/offices - I'll eat my hat if it isn't. (Possibly with a small amount of parking attached.)

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Shit :( I'd seen the change of use had been approved but was hoping it was just speculative :( Another pub bites the dust :mad:

20. clandestino

21. clandestino

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So on the 'definitely going sometime' list we have the Canterbury and the Grosvenor, and then there's that question mark hanging over the Windmill. It really sucks. :(

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone know who May Developments are?
    The address they listed for feedback - 7 Bayley Street, London WC1B 3HB - has been used by at least one other development under a different name.

24. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

More 'executive style apartments' ffs?

Sad times.

25. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Blimey. 40 units is no small scheme. I expect 5 maybe 6 stories of apartments on top of mixed-use ground floor. Possibly taller, if they keep to the existing building line (ie. not building on the front garden, which would probably be allowable, given the standalone nature of the site.)
    Those words in quotes are not in the press release. These are just apartments. London needs as many as can be built. But not at the expense of pubs :(

Greebo and fogbat like this.
  26. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

is there? shit :(

27. clandestino

Same PR contact in both cases though - Camargue PR.

28. Crispy

Yeah, it's very common for these "consultations" to be handled at arms length via a PR firm.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The press release noticeably adds that the development will stand "opposite the Council’s 11-storey International House. " I'm thinking the number of storeys wasn't slipped in there by accident.

30. Crispy

Yep. However, it is not an inappropriate site for a taller building, IMO. The mansion blocks the other side of International House are 5 stories, and the Rec is even taller.

I predict a residential conversion for International House btw.

leanderman likes this.