Question Can you play Netflix sound through Sonos speakers?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by High Voltage, Sep 19, 2015.

1. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I've done a bit of a Google and "Soundflowerbed" seemed to be "a" possible solution but only seems to be working on Mac OS up to about 10.5'ish - I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5 which doesn't seem to be compatible

At the moment I'm playing through the stereo by using an audio lead into the headphone socket on the mac and into the stereo - it works, it's fine

BUT

I've got a set of shiny new Sonos speakers on 100 days free trial and I'm trying to extract the most use out of them before not sending them back - at the moment I'm more than happy but getting Netflix to play through them would make me delighted

2. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

I and a great many people out there want the same thing.

Any joy?

3. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I doubt it's possible. To get a stream playing, probably doable with some level of fiddling, but to get it appropriately synched (i.e. not lagging way behind the video) with something you can't offset (i.e. Netflix rather than a more technical media player) is probably not going to happen.

4. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Not as pure audio you'd have to set up the play bar first I believe.

5. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

I tried connecting my Sonos Connect to the TV when I first got it but, like you suggest, there was a lag so I gave up.
    TBH, I wasn't too fussed as the speakers on my, now very old TV, are pretty good anyway.

6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

That's the problem with these new fangled soundbars. They're not ideal for audio/video sync because of complex audio processing times. It's bollocks basically.

t0bytoo likes this.
  7. High Voltage

8. High Voltage

Well, I've updated my OS to High Sierra 10.13.6 and one of the "features" of the system upgrade is that you get Airplay 2 - so Hoorah!

However

We've got generation 1 Sonos speakers, which aren't Airplay 2 compatible - so Booo!!1!!!11

However

There's a free app called SonoAir which I found through this Johnny on YouTube

And here's where you get the App

And it works with my current Sonos speaker set up - so DOUBLE HOORAH!

But the sound and video are slightly out of sync, meaning films (Netflix) are painful to watch - so DOUBLE BOO!

But at least you can play YouTube music through better speakers than my laptop tiny ones

9. Mrs D

Mrs D aka Mary Baynton

Surely all TVs nowadays have a setting where you can input your desired audio delay in milliseconds? I can’t watch anything where the audio is out of synch, and it has always been easy to change the settings.

High Voltage likes this.
  10. High Voltage

Except, we don't have a TV

We only watch stuff on laptops - although, this "maybe" changing at some time in the not too distant future - that's for another thread, along the lines of

What TV should I get then?

11. High Voltage

But audio delay, that must be some kind of magic