Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can i boost the wi fi signal to my TV?

Kaka Tim

Crush the Saboteurs!
Ive got a 2nd TV and the signal from my digi box is too weak to watch stuff. Is there a way to boost the singal?

I have a now TV box in the 2nd floor room. The TV there has a now tv stick plugged into the HDMI.
The 2nd TV is on the ground floor also with a Now TV stick in the HDMI. Its connected to the now TV box ok - but it buffers too much to watch anything - its directly below the now tv box - about 15ft in a straight line - but going through two lots of ceiling.
Is there a way to boost the signal?
I wondered about drilling a hole and sending a cable down - but you cant plug a cable into the tv stick.
suggestions very welcome.

(i notted that there are previous threads on similar subjects - but they are several years old so not sure how up to date they might be)

Cheers in advance

The39thStep

Ive got a 2nd TV and the signal from my digi box is too weak to watch stuff. Is there a way to boost the singal?

I have a now TV box in the 2nd floor room. The TV there has a now tv stick plugged into the HDMI.
The 2nd TV is on the ground floor also with a Now TV stick in the HDMI. Its connected to the now TV box ok - but it buffers too much to watch anything - its directly below the now tv box - about 15ft in a straight line - but going through two lots of ceiling.
Is there a way to boost the signal?
I wondered about drilling a hole and sending a cable down - but you cant plug a cable into the tv stick.
suggestions very welcome.

(i notted that there are previous threads on similar subjects - but they are several years old so not sure how up to date they might be)

Cheers in advance
A wifi extender should do it ,rather than drilling holes.Dunno what your broadband size is but you only need around 3 mbps for SD and 6/7 mbps for HD but if youve got anything else using the wifi its going to impact as the signal sent to the Now TV box is sent in packets so anything that competes with that means the packets get delayed as it were hence the buffering and and walls/ceiling will make that worse. You can get an adaptor that allows an ethernet cable to be inserted into a firestick Amazon Ethernet Adaptor for Fire TV and Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote (2017 models), Fire TV Basic Edition and Fire TV Stick 4K: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome you might want to consider using that with the wifi extender Skyscraper suggests if the wifi extender doesnt do the job by itself. Other things to try , unplug router for five mins and then turn on again and also clear cache on NOW TV.

skyscraper101

0891 50 50 50
You can get powerline adapters that use your existing electrical wiring as network cable.
Probably a more reliable option really. My mum does this to get Wifi from the house, to her shed/cabin at the bottom of the garden, which is too far from the house to get onto the wifi.

Something like this will work as it has wifi as well as ethernet connections on the receiving end....

Rushy

AKA some / certain posters
Probably a more reliable option really. My mum does this to get Wifi from the house, to her shed/cabin at the bottom of the garden, which is too far from the house to get onto the wifi.

Something like this will work as it has wifi as well as ethernet connections on the receiving end....

I use these. They're great. Perfect for the shed.