1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone recommend a really good (wearable) covert recording device?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by One dog, Mar 20, 2017.

1. One dog

One dog Well-Known Member

I am on ESA right now but might need to engage with DWP (or one of their partner organisations) at some point.

I have been meaning to get a good covert recording device; Something that I can wear without arousing suspicion and that can record conversation clearly and to upload to a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations. I have seen several on ebay but I am not sure how reliable they are (battery life, clarity of recording, ease of transfer to PC etc).

Thanks.

2. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

It's probably best to tell people you're recording them if you hope to ever use the recording as evidence for anything.

tim, Pickman's model, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  3. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

People are frequently convicted on the evidence of covert recordings. Not that that has anything to do with ESA claims but still.

tim and One dog like this.
  4. One dog

I have a trick for that but cannot disclose on this forum. I was actually not looking for advice, as I have that side covered thanks. I just need the right device and I can deal with the legalities, if it is all the same to you.

pengaleng, tim and Pickman's model like this.
  5. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

your phone? Mine's really good at recording, can easily hold a half hour of sound easily transferred to pc. And its perfectly normal to place a phone on table face down.

6. One dog

I have thought of that but my 'phone is really not that good (sound quality) and I cannot transfer sound files (or whatever they are called). I was thinking along the lines of something that looks like jewellery / accessory that plugs into a USB port and has about 2 hours of recording time (so as not to cut out at the wrong time), something that I can switch on before and after with no one observing me doing that.

7. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

You can get recording devices that look like USB storage sticks. They're not quite wearable but very easy to put on the desk in front of you with some documents or whatever. Might even be able to use them in a shirt pocket. They have the advantage of being pretty cheap.

space-tout and One dog like this.
  8. One dog

I will look into that then.

9. Brainaddict

10. One dog

11. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

I used to use a pen that records audio, they always worked well and were not that expensive.I'm sure there are many types available nowadays via the 'net

I only used it at meetings to ensure that I remembered what was said for minutes/notes and what I had agreed to do, much easier than taking notes.

12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

13. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Pickman's model, Badgers and One dog like this.
  14. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

Sound carries through (into?) your pocket if your sitting across the table from someone

15. UGO2SLO

UGO2SLO Active Member

This is a one party state so you don't have to tell em you are recording. Video is a different mater esp in a jcp as there may be info of others on show. If you had to tell emyou were recording it defeats the purpose of covert recordings. Only organisations have to tell you they are recording .

16. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Well, if you're saying that's a syllogism, then your conclusion is in question, since this isn't a one party state. (No matter how much one disapproves of it).

17. UGO2SLO

UGO2SLO Active Member

Im sure you now by party i am talking about individuals and not government right?? One party state meaning Atleast one person in a convo should know it is being recorded or broadcast.

I am not a person who Google tthings so i may be wrong.... I have never heard of covert action being broadcast first case its illegal. Defeats the purpose right??

18. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

just casually pop one of these on the table when nobody's looking.
    [​IMG]

19. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

I purchased this and it really does work. I used it during feedback on a failed job interview I went to. The position will come up again as someone is leaving. I recorded the feedback meeting so I know what questions they will ask next time.

Badgers likes this.
  20. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Isn't the on/off switch a bit of a give away?

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  21. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

I had it on a keyring along with the rest of my keys. Just make sure the on/off switch is face down. Also consider taking the lid off so the USB port is visible. Any one looking will see it as a normal USB. I turned it face down when the person asked if I wanted a bottle of water. I said yes and switched it when they went to get the bottle. Easy. The only negative for me is the little loop at the bottom where you where you attach a keyring through. It's tiny and also not firm. It has already broken.

I've already uploaded the audio to youtube and set it to private just in case my laptop fucks up and I can't access the file. Already had two laptops breakdown with files and such lost. Not taking a risk again.

[​IMG]

22. Brainaddict

Glad it worked donkyboy, it's a pretty easy and fairly cheap way to record benefits interviews and the like. Mine had an indicator light when it was switched on so I put some black tape over it. You could either scratch off or cover that on/off text with a sticker or tape.

23. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

the light does come on for a few seconds when turned on, then goes off. I turned it on as we were walking to the room, so it was all ready before we got there.

space-tout and Badgers like this.
  24. space-tout

space-tout I wrote for luck

I got a cheap one off eBay, can be attached to a bunch of keys. I've several conversations on it from all the shit I've been going through at work, it's USB and my laptop reads and plays it fine. I just put my keys on the table, it's 8GB and discrete. I have a middle manager on it telling me there is no work for me if my knee problems are so bad...utter cunt as I've been there 20 years.

25. space-tout

space-tout I wrote for luck

Just to add, either tell them you are recording as said above or only use the conversations as a proper transcript for your referance.