1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

campaign against welfare cuts and poverty

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Blagsta, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Smoking kills

Smoking kills Well-Known Member

Quite. I was advised that just sticking survey forms through random letter boxs with an SAE and small prize would yield around 5%. The survey was for my local community centre, we got around 40%.
    Given the opportunities for skiving off/thinking about the question, taking the piss, £25 Amazon voucher or being listened to, the level of engagement should ring alarm bells, not be used as evidence that the DWP is a good place to work.
    On topic, Universal Credit is due to crash into a lot of people soon. Increased awareness of the premium 'phone line associated with this fuck up could force the govt to concede the few million quid they and their mates get out of it, and make life a little bit easier for some of those people.
    Free the DWP helpline!

2. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Member

Just love that bit of clutching at straws. Lol! A classic "Wot I reckon".

3. krtek a houby

krtek a houby it can't happen here

Who is genuinely in need, in your opinion?

4. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

No reckoning necessary. Even a total dunce can see that 815 is a tiny fraction of 50,000.

Apart from you, apparently.

existentialist likes this.
  5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

It's not "clutching at straws", you gurning halfwit, it's first-hand knowledge of what those who commission surveys are after, and what those companies who create surveys require in order to justify their services. A less than 2% response rate from staff, especially staff who have daily access to the DWP's intranet, is pathetic, rather like you.

6. existentialist

existentialist ...and the horse you rode in on.

Remember that this wasn't actually a proper survey, whatever Fappy Mary wants to believe, but unprompted feedback from self-selected people.

NoXion likes this.
  7. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Member

As usual Panda, you're making a mighty fool of yourself.

As even poor old Existentialist knows, and points out in his post above, it wasn't a survey at all. The reviews were made on a job search website.

:)

8. existentialist

Except that you are presenting them as some kind of meaningful statement on the attitudes of DWP staff in general, which is the point that VP is making.

I'd tell you to stop being a cunt, but I don't think you can help yourself.

Libertad and NoXion like this.
  9. doodlelogic

doodlelogic arbitrary message here

Happy Larry is an IT contractor to the DWP aicm IR35 review.

10. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Member

Er no. As you know, the reason I presented them was to demonstrate that you are talking utter nonsense when you claim that DWP employees are working in a "toxic environment". Their mainly positive opinions regarding their work environment shows up your uninformed tripe.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. existentialist

Well, since it demonstrated nothing beyond your total inability to understand anything about surveys, I'd say you failed.

12. NoXion

And we've already pointed out that those reviews are statistically insignificant and therefore don't prove shit. Even in the most awful workplaces you'll find some bumlicking greasy pole clamberer willing to trade their pride and dignity for the ghost of a chance of potential advancement.

Probably someone like you, who will make excuses for the rich and powerful.

13. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

14. existentialist

Good cartoon. And this clusterfuck, lest we forget is what our village idiot correspondent is insisting is all peachy and wonderful.

15. Happy Larry

Happy Larry Member

I don't know how you define power, but as for the rich, why would they need to make excuses? They already contribute a massive amount to our economy :

"the tax base is very reliant on rich people, with income tax becoming increasingly reliant on them.

The Resolution Foundation, which does a great deal of work on inequality, says that the income tax system is relying too much on the richest 10%, which is a problem because their earnings are volatile."

Reality Check: Are lower earners bearing the tax burden?

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

A "massive" amount. They can afford to pay more. The country needs more money. Let us tax them more.

And if increases in income tax do only produce marginal gains, let the country tax them in other ways.

Also you are a cunt. I wish poverty on you.

ViolentPanda, Libertad and NoXion like this.
  17. NoXion

If that really is the case, then that makes it all the more important to clamp down on tax-dodging corporations such as Google and Amazon.

ViolentPanda and krtek a houby like this.
  18. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

The question needs to be asked: Who are The Resolution Foundation? They're a centrist "independent" think-tank whose policy and research staff - a bit of assiduous googling will turn up articles and papers by them - are pretty much dedicated to maintaining the current economic "consensus", while doing a bit of ameliorationism to keep the poor and the "squeezed middle" on-side. Their board is even more hilarious. That's not to say that they don't turn out interesting stuff, but one needs to be aware of where this stuff originates from - "free" market-based laissez faire economics.

I suspect that Happy Larry's googling is somewhat less assiduous, and is based on finding respectable-sounding stuff that supports his economic preconceptions.

existentialist, Libertad and NoXion like this.