Camp Bestival 2018: washed up pop sludge ahoy

Discussion in 'festivals' started by editor, Nov 26, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This looks unbelievably grim.

23795283_10155870850721726_8548077089489673921_n.png

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Camp B is for families and kids though, so about right. :)

ska invita and Maharani like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had to look up Clean Bandit. Beyond bland.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not sure why families = bland washed up shit music

plurker and wiskey like this.
  5. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

PWEI and Orbital are good. Well, they were, anyway.

Badgers, Hoss and krtek a houby like this.
  6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

nice to know Shed 7 are still getting work

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good grief

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think I might go postal if I had to go this festival. It makes the Big Chill seem banging.

Libertad likes this.
  9. Juno4000

Juno4000 Banned Banned

If you think you will not like the music, perhaps you ought not to go?

tommers and Rutita1 like this.
  10. Juno4000

Juno4000 Banned Banned

I did think this thread was about pollution at a beach festival

11. Rutita1

I meant the line up fits the crowd not that your dismissive snobbery is correct :D Don't go Ed, simple.

12. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

There's Billy Bunter taking it Old Skooool on the ones and twos. What more do you want?

I'm not sure how the Cuban Brother's are family friendly? Every time I've seen them the main guy swore his face off and talked about his chequered past.

13. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

Likewise Jesus Jones. :eek:

Badgers likes this.
  14. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

We go to a fair few festivals, and sometimes take the kids. But this line-up is appalling by any standard.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  15. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

My 11 year old daughter would love it. There’s some ok acts in there among the shite.

Badgers and Rutita1 like this.
  16. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I’d rather go to a festival when my daughter is way older and listens to decent music, I.e. my music.

sealion likes this.
  17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

We've taken BB1 to festivals and she's now got great taste in music for a 13 year old. It is a bit loud though...:(

Badgers likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Exactly. This notion that because a festival is aimed at families it should be filled with utter cack is a strange one.

sealion likes this.
  19. Rutita1

Yet no one has said that Ed. Stop looking for ways to justify your own musical snobbery.

The line up is a mix or older and younger popular/commercial artists. Perfect for families that like that kind of thing, hence families being the main attendees of CB and the very audience that it is marketed at.

The fact that you refer to the older acts as 'washed up pop sludge' is what is going on here. You don't like the line up. Okay. Don't go. Simple.

20. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Yes. Families who like that kind of thing. Not families per se, which appeared to be your original point.

editor likes this.
  21. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Whilst you make some good points Rutita1 its hard to escape the fact that Rick Astley appears to be headlining. :D

They do seem to be covering a big age range of parents with the line-up though. Good toilets at this festival apparently.

22. Rutita1

Don't get me wrong...I won't be going...not least because I don't have any kids ;)

My overall point is that the line up reflects those it is marketed at...an age range from parents to kids. In the festival circuit CB is known for being aimed at families and being very commercial.

I could spend the rest of my evening posting threads about upcoming festivals because I think the line ups are shit and coming up with cutting descriptions...I won't though.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's exactly the point I've been reacting to. Criticising a bill as monumentally bland as that is hardly 'musical snobbery.'

24. Rutita1

But it is snobbery Ed. Other people have posted that there are some acts they like of whatever. 'monumentally bland' isn't a universal opinion/experience just because you feel that way. There are loads of festivals that have line ups that leave me stone cold because just like you there is music that I like and that which I don't.

25. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Looks about right for a family-oriented festival - some excellent kids' stuff and a smattering of good acts like Orbital, PWEI, Undertones, Skatalites etc.

And if you need to miss all the headliners or even leave a day or two early because one kid has got an ear infection or whatever, you're not going to give a shit or feel like you're missing out on anything.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So is a perfect family orientated festival one has acts that are so shit you don't mind missing them if some calamity befalls your child?

:D

Bahnhof Strasse and Rutita1 like this.
  27. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

And good toilets.

ska invita and Rutita1 like this.
  28. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

You get to contribute to the Stereo MCs pension fund and throw fireworks at Rick Astley's crotch. WTF is not to like?

ska invita and editor like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Of all the festivals, I've visited Beautiful Days has the best toilets. That said, so did Boomtown last year.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Stereo MCs played Beautiful Days a few years back and all was going well until the singer inexplicably threw a monster strop and started ranting away at a totally baffled crowd. Mind you, that was probably the highlight of the set.

Cloo likes this.