Camp Bestival 2018 shut down due to bad weather

Discussion in 'festivals' started by SheilaNaGig, Jul 29, 2018.

1. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

Seems very unfair that we’ve had all these weeks of good weather, no Glastonbury to enjoy in the sunshine, and now Bestival seems to be shutting early because of rain and gale force winds.

Is any of our lot there? I know it’s not a favourite festival for Urban but I think some folks go?

Camp Bestival shuts down as rain and strong winds break heatwave

2. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Camp Bestival closed down early not Bestival which is due to start on Thursday.

3. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Oh! There are two festivals called Bestival? Both in Dorset? One called Camp Bestival and one called Bestival?

What's that all about?

SheilaNaGig likes this.
  4. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Camp Bestival is a spin off - mainly aimed at families with younger kids.

At least it was the year we went.

5. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Bestival used to be on the Isle of Wight but they moved it last year I think.

6. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems to be a lot of bugaboos and Jamie Oliver cooking demos.

I’ve got a few mates that go every year and really enjoy it. For me, it’s the same price as Glastonbury I think and there just isn’t enough for me to justify that price.

Shame that it’s been shut down but I think a lot of people were leaving anyway. Lots seemed to be going Saturday night.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  7. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

So, was Camp Bestival always in Dorset but Bestival on the Isle of Wight?

I am still confused, even though I have now consulted Wikipedia. Or perhaps because I have now consulted Wikipedia.

it seems such an odd thing to do. Why not just add family-friendly things to the main festival, rather than holding a separate festival on a different weekend.

8. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Yes, Camp B has always been in Dorset and until 2016 Bestival was on the Isle of Wight. Both festivals are run by Rob Da Bank and his wife Josie and they decided to move Bestival to the same site in Dorset. It is only this year that they decided to have the festivals following one after the other on the same site.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  9. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Because two festivals makes more money?

It was good the year we went. My daughter might have been 12. I enjoyed it, but it's not really my kind of festival

Guineveretoo likes this.
  10. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

They’re completely different festivals though. Bestival had been going for a while when they launched Camp Bestival with a different focus. I’m sure it’s a financial decision too but I think it’s better they did that than try to shoehorn the family thing into Bestival more because neither site is big enough to really expand more.

It works at Glastonbury because the site is huge but I think it’s hard for festivals to cater for people wanting to party and be family friendly too.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  11. SheilaNaGig

Should I change the thread title?

Or will that just make the discussion on the thread seem really odd? Maybe I’ll just leave it.

The whole thread as a concept seem a quite redundant now to be honest.

ETA. .... I’ve now noticed that the title of the thread is correct, but my OP is incorrect.

I’m quite shit at starting threads really :(

12. SheilaNaGig

Although, I’ve now learned that there is Bestival and Camp Bestival. So there’s that.

AnnO'Neemus and Guineveretoo like this.
  13. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I think a mod must have changed it for you.

Thimble Queen and Lazy Llama like this.
  14. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Why do that? Surely just leads to confusion.

SheilaNaGig likes this.
  15. SheilaNaGig

Well I’m certainly confused, that’s for sure.

I don’t remember how I titled the thread now. :facepalm::mad::rolleyes:

Badgers and 8ball like this.
  16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

The Isle of Wight bestival was the main festival.
    Camp was a spin off that grew.
    Isle of Wight became financially unviable due to a number of factors.
    1. Ferry Costs
    2. New competition (they used to be the last festival of the season then loads of other late festivals (e.g. Festival No 6) turned up to take a slice
    3. Issues with the locals and local infrastructure

One bad season (which I thankfully missed) highlighted this.

So setting up a festival site costs money. Running them concurrently in one location instead of two saves money.
    The site ain't big enough to run them both consecutively and the vibes are different anyhow, different demographics.
    Combining might ruin the vibe of both and destroy both.

It all makes sound sense to me

plurker and Lazy Llama like this.
  17. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Well thank fuck we didn't have any money when some friends suggested booking for this, otherwise we totally would have. That's so gutting for everyone though.

18. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

WOMAD was also on the weekend just gone, and stayed open.

We were wondering what the conditions were like at WOMAD, by comparison to CB? :confused: ... they aren't so distant from each other geographically ....

19. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

Seen some reports from Womad saying that they didn't have the severe high winds or torrential downpours experienced at CB.

20. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

We had really awful winds in Dorset and it’s a fair way between the two sites.

21. Riff

Riff B@nned from eGofestivals

We were at Kendal Calling. It was bone dry then rained Saturday (complete with thunderstorm) and Sunday. It was also quite windy. Nothing got cancelled.

Perhaps we're just a bit 'arder Oop North! ;)

22. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Womad was fine. There were a few heavy showers, mainly overnight, and notably on Sunday daytime but nothing to worry about.

Windwise - a few (badly-pitched) tents got flattened.
    The arena is in a dip so wind wasn't bad diwn there - the decor crew removed a few herras banners but that was about it.

Great 'end of the storm' clouds mind...

20180729_210010.jpg 20180729_203750.jpg

William of Walworth likes this.