Cameras at Funerals

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Maggot, Mar 15, 2012.

1. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

:D Sorry sorry of course. As you were then :D

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

some photos were taken at a friend's funeral. it was a horrible occasion, being a funeral, and especially because he was so young and it was a particularly tragic death (though i suppose all deaths are) but the floral tributes were so apt and so touching that people felt the need to photograph them (they were in the shape of an acid house smiley and a pair of technics). i don't think any other photos were taken at the reception and certainly not at the photo itself.

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

and the person whose funeral it is might be having a good giggle about it

miss direct likes this.
  4. Orang Utan

er, no. s/he is dead.

5. Minnie_the_Minx

yeah, but if you believe in the afterlife and all that

And then there's others, who as far as they're concerned, they're dead, and you can do what you like

and others who leave money for everyone to have a good old knees-up at their wake

Everyone's different and it should be on a case-by-case basis

miss direct, quimcunx and kittyP like this.
  6. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

A very specific afterlife that involves watching your own funeral and retaining your sense of humour?

7. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

I understand why you want to take the photos afterwards, but I think it's awkward and invasive to be photographed at times like that when dealing with something difficult, even if it doesn't show on the outside.

8. Orang Utan

edit
    probably shouldn't joke about a funeral of a real, non-celebrity person.

9. Minnie_the_Minx

I didn't say everyone's like that, but I'm sure there's some, and I'm sure there's some who if they were alive, and you asked them if they'd object to photos of people toasting them at the wake, they'd say they wouldn't object. Others would. I've not taken photos at funerals, and I certainly wouldn't take any of anyone if there were people in the background upset, but who's to say the relatives of the deceased hasn't seen someone for ages, and knows they're not going to see them for ages, they themselves might even want a picture taken with relatives/friends they haven't seen for ages, and if they don't think their dead relative would object, then that's up to them

Like I said, it's on a case-by-case basis

10. Minnie_the_Minx

and I'm certainly not suggesting you ask all the family to get together for a photo

11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

"Has anyone got a battery for an Ericsson?"

diond and discokermit like this.
  12. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I think you've missed the point, though. You don't avoid photos out of respect to the deceased, you do it out of respect to the living.

13. Minnie_the_Minx

and I've already said if one of the deceased's relatives wants a photo with a friend or family member that they've not seen for years, then that's up to them

14. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I guarantee your hypothetical dead mate won't give a flying fuck. What with him being, well, dead and all that.

muscovyduck and kittyP like this.
  15. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

After one funeral I was at, there were drinks and food after.
    It didn't take long before instruments appeared and his friends were playing for him.
    Several people took pictures and it seemed apt.
    They were emailed to me later - "Us lot at *******'s send off!"

If it's not this kind of send off, then I wouldn't think cameras would be apt.

miss direct, Maggot and kittyP like this.
  16. Minnie_the_Minx

That's exactly the type of send-off I've been trying to explain, albeit not very well :D

17. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

What a ridiculous twisting of words.

My friend has died, yet Garf can't resist using the occasion to have a dig at me. :rolleyes:

18. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Nothing wrong with it at all, in fact I can't think of a funeral/wake I've been to where there hasn't been photos taken. It's entirely appropriate unless done really stupidly.

There's some right precious tossers on here :rolleyes:

Onket, Firky and marty21 like this.
  19. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I was at a wake like that a few months ago - there were several good folk musicians there who he'd known for a while, and there were not only photos but people put video up on youtube.

20. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, doing moonies or lifting your skirt up type of behaviour is unacceptable at funerals, but then I think it's bad behaviour anyway :D

RaverDrew likes this.
  21. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

CFY

22. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

There's an apocryphal story featuring that staple of apocryphal stories: a group of Japanese airmen stranded mid-war on a Pacific island. A dead American soldier is washed up on shore and they decide to bury the corpse, but have no idea how to conduct a Christian funeral service. Fortunately the dead GI has a copy of Finnegan's Wake about his person, which they painstakingly translate, and with due solemnity conduct a brawling, whisky-fuelled, service of remembrance.

I'm reminded of this by the strange way in which, at least on Urban, folk musicians seem to have become a standard component of funerals. Personally, I'd no more want to see a shambling collective of acoustic roots revivalists at a relative's funeral than I would an official photographer.

kabbes likes this.
  23. Minnie_the_Minx

They just showed some British servicemen who died decades ago being given a funeral in Kuala Lumpur. People were taking photos... as the coffins were lowered. Outrageous

24. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Actually, the last funeral I went to, for a 90 year old, after the burial there was a lunch and a couple of members of the family walked about with a camera taking peoples pictures.

Not sure how they might have felt had I done it.

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Can't see any problems as long as you don't get your cousin Maureen posing naked on the top of the casket.

Minnie_the_Minx and Maggot like this.
  26. Mikey77

Mikey77 Banned Banned

I seen a photo in a photography book of a dead child in a coffin taken in the 1950s. I'm not sure if it was at a wake or the actual funeral, but it was a very powerful image. Just my two cents.

27. Orang Utan

28. Orang Utan

I remember seeing something about photos of dead kids on the telly. QI probably. it always fucking is.
    it was quite normal for people to take photos of their dead loved ones for posterity in the victorian era apparently.

29. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

If you feel it applies to you then you've clear got something to feel gulity about...

Othwise it's just a comment.

How typical you'd use a friend death to attack others... Dishonest shit.

30. Orang Utan