Cameras at Funerals

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Maggot, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I'm going to a funeral tomorrow. Whilst it's obviously gonna be a sad occassion, I would like to take my camera along and get a few photos. Not at the actual service, but at the event afterwards with the drinks, as there will be lots of old friends I haven't seen for ages.

Do you think it's acceptable to do this or in bad taste?

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Acceptable but I'd check with the family first I reckon to make sure they don't think it's insensitive

ruffneck23 likes this.
  3. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

4. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I'd go down the ol' secret camera route if I were you. Hide it in a big sports bag, like you're an unemployed News of the World hack.

5. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

I'd say very bad taste. Why pose and smile for a pic at a funeral?

DrRingDing likes this.
  6. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

No, just stick a big lens in people's faces and ask 'em to emote.

DrRingDing likes this.
  7. Minnie_the_Minx

Depends on the mood of a funeral reckon and who's died. Someone taking a photo of people toasting their departed elderly relative and celebrating their life, can be totally different to the funeral of a child.

ymu likes this.
  8. Threshers_Flail

I guess so. All the same I don't think it would've gone down too well at any funeral I've ever been too, all have been very sombre affairs.

9. Minnie_the_Minx

Even after a big drink-up at pub after?

10. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

IMHO just about acceptable if done in a low key way. ie. Not asking everybody to smile for the camera. Fine to take pictures of the flowers etc, if it's to help you remember, or for somebody who wasn't able to get there.

11. kabbes

Also, it gives you a great chance to try some funeral planking.

12. Threshers_Flail

Not been to one like that in ages, most recent ones have been funeral's for people who have died relatively young. Yeah saying that it entirely depends on the mood and who had died.

13. Threshers_Flail

Proper laughing fit over that, cheers. :D

kabbes likes this.
  14. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

Went to a funeral once where the daughter of the bereaved videoed the whole "event".

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd play it by ear and only get the camera out if it feels appropriate. If people are sobbing uncontrollably into their pints, then I'd leave it, but if it turns out to be a cheerful celebration of his life, then maybe.

skyscraper101, spitfire and kittyP like this.
  16. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

They are the last rite of passage which are an occasion for genuine emotion, rather than orchestrated tableaux for the benefit of cameras. It would be saddening in the extreme if this final barrier to the transformation of life into a series of photo opportunities was crossed.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think anyone was suggesting a "series of photo opportunities" were they?

18. Maurice Picarda

Thin end of the wedge.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What's
    What's at the other end?

20. Maurice Picarda

Mourners being shepherded by funeral directors into group poses by the coffin, I suppose.

diond likes this.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It's just a short step to animatronic versions of the deceased, quite frankly.

22. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

Can't recall photographs being taken at funerals / wakes I've been to.

Probably not acceptable

23. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

They were taken at my nan's funeral, 6 years ago. Not by me. It was done because the relatives who managed to get there hardly ever see each other (spread all over the country).

24. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

i think they are actually ....

basically fuck the dead person I've not got any shots of my mates for my digital stalker collection and in order to feel some kind of connection to these people rather than recalling the good times I've had and the shared common experiences we've had I can look at my photos and feel the warm of their pixel infused goodness...

That's precisely what's being said...

It's more important that the OP get pictures of his mates now than the funeral he's attending and it's reasoning...

Here's a picture of that bird he was shagging... what?... yeah his wife I think.... he's a picture of his daughter looking sad... here's his son looking sad.... I did say smile but they wouldn't perk up at all...

etc...

25. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I might leave a camera in the car boot in case some mates of mine wanted to come outside and pose for me but I don't think I would take a camera inside to the funeral gathering. Just too bad taste. People don't need a camera around at times like that, you arent a pap after all, get a grip :)

26. kabbes

If people can't take a photo of it and put it on FaceTwit, it didn't actually happen for them.

isvicthere?, diond and lizzieloo like this.
  27. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I think your all being a tad unfair to Maggot and imposing your impressions of what he would do.

If it was the funeral of a mate, we were all having a piss up talking about old times after and someone got a camera out, I would not be offended and I can't think of one of my mates (who is alive now but could be the dead one hypothetically) who would mind..... :hmm:

Maggot likes this.
  28. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Could you not just arrange to meet up with these mates at another time to take photos?

There's a time and a place for this stuff, funerals are not really it IME.

29. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

In my family it wouldnt be an issue, but half of us are, or have been working photographers, and the other half just put up with cameras all the time :D

kittyP likes this.
  30. kabbes

Of course we are. This is the goddamned u75.

kittyP likes this.