Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Well-Known Member

Really nice food there and decent portions to get for take out.

Cold Harbour likes this.
  2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

On Friday I popped into the Chateau for Cramps - a non binary/queer/trans cabaret night. It was fun with a dj playing 80s vinyl for dancing afterwards. Interesting crowd.
    [​IMG]
    Next one is next month, I think they said on Friday 22nd March but I can't find it listed.

mango5 likes this.
  3. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Yep eaten there 4 times now I think! Great veggie selection, and the Lebanese lager they have is pretty tasty too. Service is great as well.

4. hungry_squirrel

wtfftw and mango5 like this.
  5. wtfftw

wtfftw melting like a toastie

6. hungry_squirrel

This is a model of the proposed build. The big road to the left is Denmark Hill and we are looking north east, for perspective.

Attached Files:

• camb.jpg
      camb.jpg
      File size:
      455.2 KB
      Views:
    3010 and iamwithnail like this.
  7. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

As far as these things go, that looks not terrible - no car choices on the flats, keeping all the existing shops, adding more flats, not high rise like at Elephant. My inherent suspicion of developers is strong though.

Eta: my definition of 'low rise' is clearly different to theirs, looking at that model again.

8. hungry_squirrel

Yeah, the scale of the model seemed somewhat 'off' and I didn't get the best vibe from the developers. The maximum height is 10 floors in the middle there and a hotel is planned at the front by Butterfly Walk. There will be 200 flats with the standard 35% 'affordable'. The 2 'bits' at the end of Butterfly Walk on that model are a 2 screen cinema.

It look pretty much the same design-wise as most of these new, cheap developments.

9. hungry_squirrel

So Fat Phil's on Church Street didn't last long! I never went in, but the menu didn't appeal or seem particularly appetising.

In its place we're getting Nandine, which already has a place in Camberwell on Vestry Road, but will this site will be more central. Fantastic Kurdish food, which I would definitely recommend. Delicious.

mango5 likes this.
  10. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Mini film festival 56191331_1310298192458988_1509385003987894272_o.jpg

11. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

12. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

More from around the way... kids footie and - for some reason - The Philharmonic Wind Orchestra of South Germany

Attached Files:

13. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

This is annoying. Changing at Elephant will be a trial from June, and we can no longer claim to have buses direct to every major rail terminus :(

14. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Lame. I don't get the 171 any more but thats a solidarity faff

15. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  16. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Greetings from a Lambeth resident. Prepare to start finding piles of branches and stuff dumped on your street corner. Or in your bin. Or recycling bin. Or food waste bin :thumbs:

17. editor

editor Forked with electrons

18. hungry_squirrel

Just walked past Cruson and it's completely gutted already. I wonder what's going in there. I really, really, really hope it's not some fast food bollocks.

19. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I notice the opening line to that, "if Peckham is too hip", which i really dont understand.

Having recently lived in Peckham for a bit, i can assure you that bar a few expensive cafes and terribly ironic bars towards Peckham Rye, it is far from "hip" (assuming i have the meaning of the word correct).

editor likes this.
  20. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

The link is hardly the over-hyped estate agent bollocks written no doubt almost daily about vibrant and edgy SW2/9. Just regular estate agent guff you would expect from such a source.

Why on earth did you bother to post this? We don't spend much time on this thread going 'there goes the neighbourhood'. Save it for the Brixton forum please guv.

21. editor

editor Forked with electrons

There's really no point in you (or the mysterious 'we' you refer to) having a go at me here.

22. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Camberwell doesn't need your sympathy for generic estate tosh.

friendofdorothy likes this.