Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I bumped into the lovely ginger spice drag queen we saw at the Chateau recently, I was telling him he needs to do that quiz show again. He said there will be a new show in peckam soonish and another at the Chateau again in dec. I'll try and find out details and post a link.

edit to add I've found the facebook page for Just May Just May but I cant see anything about future ginger at Chateau performances. or on the The Chateau but there are a few other events coming up.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    mango5 and colacubes like this.
  2. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Wow some rare FoD Faceache action! :thumbs:

3. friendofdorothy

shh!

4. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Noticed on Friday that Jungle Cafe/Yucca Garden is now "Tex-Mex and cocktails"? :confused:

5. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Active Member

Yeah, I noticed that when going past this morning and took a photo of the menu. At least it's something new for Camberwell. 20181107_080812.jpg

6. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Active Member

Another new arrival is the tapas place, Latino something...just along Coldharbour Lane from RockSteady Eddie's. Food good, fairly cheap, staff v friendly. A few tables in when I passed last night, worth a try.

7. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Camberwell's latest batch of openings (Phils, Yucca Garden) seem to be surprisingly unimaginative and short on veggie options

Maggot likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

That's pretty much in line with a lot of the new Brixton burger bars. Sucks.

9. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I'd have thought overpriced and overpresented 'plant based' food would be all the rage
    I'm sad that we've lost a decent greasy spoon to tex-mex mediocrity

10. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

£7.50 for a cheeseburger with fries isnt tragic. the usual trendy burger chain suspects would sting you for about £11 at least.

I'd still rather go to Mcdonalds mind.

11. drachir

I have an unreasonable amount of hatred towards Fat Phil's.

mango5 likes this.
  12. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Active Member

I heard that Indiaah (curry place on Denmark Hill) will close this week. Rates risen to £9K and lease to £30K apparently. Bit of a shame, their food wasn't spectacular but was a perfectly acceptable neighbourhood curry house when the poppadum craving hit.

Also...wonder what will replace it, and whether those rises will mean other businesses along there go by the wayside too.

13. hungry_squirrel

That's a pity, I did really like their Chicken Jeera and they had decent, big bits of chicken in their curries rather than small rubbery bits :(

Cold Harbour likes this.
  14. hungry_squirrel

New Lidl coming to Camberwell in Peacocks by the looks of the licensing application pinned up.

15. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Is that where Woolworths was? When I peeked behind the construction a while back all that was left was the facade.

16. friendofdorothy

I still miss Woolworths.

editor likes this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

This popped up courtesy of Fortean London and I wondered if any locals had heard this scary tale of a dog man stalking the Old Camberwell Cemetery before...

image.jpeg

Werewolf of (S.E.) London

3010 and Maggot like this.
  19. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

That's the kind of story I'd make up if I shat myself on the way to a mates house.. :thumbs:

cuppa tee likes this.
  20. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

You're not "Gary" are u ?

Nivag likes this.
  21. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Camberwell Old Cemetery (and Camberwell New Cemetery) aren't actually in Camberwell. I'm not sure what you call the area they are in, not quite Dulwich, not quite Peckham, not quite Forest Hill.

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Very affordable compared to Brixton...

23. jimbarkanoodle

that is good prices. Wonder what the catch is?

editor likes this.
  24. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

It is a notoriously doomed location (Khan's had a temporary outpost there).
    It's still run (I think, after another short-lived wrap/kebab offering) by the folk who have the felafel shop and likely to be aimed at the lunchtime and student crowd. Last year there was signage for a Lebanese patisserie that never opened.

In other news, the popup bar at the former Tadim/Cycle PS site has an extension beyond January. The popup queer venue (The Chateau) at the former Communion bar is in its last few weeks

Attached Files:

friendofdorothy likes this.
  25. jimbarkanoodle

I would of thought around that Church Street location would be quite a good spot to make a go of things, given the proximity of other eateries, kinda creating an area where people go out to eat. I hope, at those prices, the pizzas are decent and proper sizes, and therefore successful. Its refreshing to see somewhere new opening up with honest, non greedy prices.

editor likes this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

So refreshing seeing a pizza place charge reasonable prices. They're so cheap to make, the profit margin must be huge on places like the Agile Rabbit in the Villaaage.

27. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Datchelor place is an odd location. It seems so promising especially since being pedestrianised but the chippy has changed hands twice in the last couple of years, as has the pigeonhole (initially crowdfunded cafe). Hope the incoming pizza/wrap joint thrives.

28. hungry_squirrel

Walking past Indiaah's old front, they have a sticker saying 'wingz' on it, so I'm assuming there might be a fried chicken shop moving in there. Exactly what the street doesn't need, if it is.

29. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

The chateau has had it's popup extended by 6 months They have some good fun nights there.
    I think the Pigeon popup has been extended too, meh.

colacubes likes this.
  30. drachir

That's surprising, it's absolutely dead in there whenever I walk past.