Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

we need more pubs! especially normal or non chain ones. I like the idea of more pubs without restraunt food or loud music. Pubs are for conversation and making friends in my world and this sounds good. Glad its becoming fashionable again - how ever hipster you think it will be, I bet it fills up with middle aged/older people.

As I'm not hip enough to follow twitter, so I hope some one here will tell me when its open, so I can rush down there with my over 60s mates.

hungry_squirrel, oryx, Maggot and 2 others like this.
  2. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Outside of london and where i am now, i don't think they ever went away. They still do seem to be the traditional public meeting place.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  3. sealion

What's twitter :D

4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

where are you now?

5. sealion

Well, Still based in Hove but have been staying in Peckham for the last month as i have a lot of work on. Hopefully will be moving back (Dulwich/Peckham border) fulltime before christmas. It hasn't worked out for me for various reasons, so i'm trying to come home.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Eight arrests so far from this dreadful incident
    Eight arrests after quadruple stabbing in Camberwell

And so young too:

7. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Went to Hayatt (the new Lebanese place) last night; it's really good.

They've done it out really nicely, service was flawless, and the food is stunning. Can't remember the name of any of it, but we had amazing pastry things with spinach/cheese.

We had 5 meze between the two of us (which was plenty) and a bottle of wine, and it came to £49, but £26 of that was the wine (it was an anniversary meal and my other half wanted to try Lebanese wine). If we'd both just had a beer it'd have been a pretty cheap meal out!

8. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

Have you been to the small one across the road from hermits cave very limited choice and small but worth a try and not to expensive

9. drachir

I pretty much survive on the mixed meze from that place! it’s more of a takeaway though

10. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I went up the top of Pinnacle Appartments last week. That's the tall multi-coloured building in central Croydon. It's 43 storeys high. Was pretty weird looking down on the NLA tower.

Apols for dirty window. 2018-08-24 10.17.20.jpg 2018-08-24 10.17.20.jpg

Attached Files:

11. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Croydon ≠ Camberwell :hmm:

12. Maggot

Ooops :facepalm:

teuchter likes this.
  13. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's not even looking in the Camberwell direction :mad:

mango5 and Maggot like this.
  14. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

does anyone know what the craic is with the Camberwell Fair these days? I went a few years back and it was rubbish, although the weather that day was shit.

Is it fenced off? As in, are you made to buy expensive alcohol from bars there just to be allowed to enjoy it?

15. Maggot

They can't force you to buy alcohol. :D

16. Maggot

It's only been going since 2015, so it's unlikely to have changed that much in that time.

Unless you went to the original fair which was banned in 1855.

hungry_squirrel and mango5 like this.
  17. drachir

They were doing vague bag checks going in last year, but was very easy to sneak in some cans.

Orbit Brewery were doing the bar and it was £4 a pint iirc.

18. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I think it's something to pop in and out of, it's too small to stay all day.
    I think they had Pauline Black headlining one year, possibly the year they insisted on pre-registering for (free) tickets. Don't think any of that's happening this time.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think I might pop along and take a look at the Fair. Anyone else going?

20. Gabeuk

Gabeuk New Member

I went last year when it was moved temporarily to Burgess Park. The whole thing was pretty relaxed. Really a mixed crowd. Long queues for the Orbit beers, but it seemed fine to take your own. Now its back on Camberwell Green I imagine it could be a bit more intense. Maybe more security and rules. bag searches for weapons seems pretty likely.

21. drachir

This was the second year back on the green, time flies ha.

Had a really decent day... bar queues were obscene so we ended up taking cans in, and Paigey Cakey cancelled, but enjoyed her replacement (RoxXxan) probably more than I would have her

22. jimbarkanoodle

I thought it was a cracking day! Good vibes and some quality music. Felt a bit like a much smaller version of Lambeth Country fair. Wandered between the 3 stages all day and saw nothing but people having a good time.

Managed to sneak beers in, but only 2 at a time in my back pockets. So had to leave every half an hour or so to restock.

Ill definitely keep an eye out for this next year.

23. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

... while others continue to party, the local crisis has now attracted nationally televised attention ...

mango5 likes this.
  24. drachir

Sorry pal, I'll stay in the house with the curtains drawn for the foreseeable future

25. sealion

What should people do? Join you in posting macabre news?

editor likes this.
  26. jimbarkanoodle

on the way to the fair on Saturday i walked past what looked like a real old skool, quality Italian restaurant, and having looked at the prices displayed on the wall outside seemed very reasonably priced.

Anyone know what i am referring to, and if so, is it any good?

27. drachir

Caravaggio? Or La Luna if you were coming from Walworth way. Haven't tried either though, so not much use!

28. jimbarkanoodle

I have had a dig around which suggests it was Caravaggio.

29. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

iirc Caravaggio was established in 2007 by some of the folk who had the Italian place that preceded Noodle City right on the main junction by Camberwell Green (Mozarella & Pomodoro). As part of the split they weren't supposed to have pizza on the menu, but they did have panini (and pasta). I haven't eaten there in years but the menu has extended a lot, it's never empty, the food looks OK from glancing through the window, and it seems quite cheap.

Some of my neighbours eat there every week.

30. TruXta

TruXta tired

At least you should refrain from giving any kind of personal opinion on things.

editor likes this.