Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Not a clue, it's a bombsite at the moment. I think it was a far bigger job than they first realised. Will keep my eyes peeled, pretty much go by it everyday.

lefteri likes this.
  2. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

makes you wonder what they're doing with it if it's a big job as it had only recently been fully refurbished!

3. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Aye, but part of the ceiling fell in around October I think. So they brought forward the works. Structurally, i think it must have been in shocking state.

4. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Pretty common in big old boozers, it’s probably not been well looked for 50 or 60 years.

Alex

5. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I've seen him with trolleys full of reduced veg from morrisons which disappear into his stocks. He also takes pride in picking up 'on the turn' fancy stuff from the wholesale market so their stocks appeal to local foodies (he told me about this a few years ago).
    Still expensive for the consumer and we don't know where his wasted produce ends up.
    Dunno why you assume so much about my shopping preferences. I am absolutely sure none of the excess/waste from the place I get my veg is chlorinated or disposed of unethically.

Maggot likes this.
  6. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Bike sale near Burgess Park today

Also, litter picking in Ruskin Park which is also celebrating its first recycling bin

7. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else. But.... Searched but didn't see it anywhere. :(

17-year-old girl stabbed to death in south London

A 17-year-old girl has been stabbed to death in south London.

The teenager died after she was attacked and knifed in Camberwell on Thursday.

Police and paramedics raced to an address in Brisbane Street shortly after midday.

A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said officers, London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance all attended.

Medics fought to save her but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 21-year-old man, who police said was known to the girl, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and was taken into custody at a south London police station.

The spokeswoman said: "Next of kin have been made aware.A crime scene is in place at the address.

"There are no road closures.The Met’s Homicide and Crime Command has been informed."

8. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

On both counts (see my emphasis) – so what? The result is a shop with a wider selection than any other working-class greengrocers I can think of. It's well-known that supermarkets chuck out stuff that's looking scraggly but which could still serve perfectly well – so if he wants to buy it and give it more of a chance to be eaten, and make a small profit in the process, that's fine by me (I'm not the sort of moron who imagines that supermarkets and greengrocers make their produce from a different type of atoms). Cruson's prices are more than East Street but much less than a farmers' market – things that are on their last legs are in a separate part of the shop and priced accordingly.

As for what they do with their waste – the point is that since they keep stuff on display until just at the point where it would genuinely be no use to anyone, anything they do chuck is genuinely ready for the bin.

Obviously making my own assumptions about where you shop – but if you're going to make such stupid comments, then that's what you can expect :cool:

9. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I think Cruson is overpriced and overhyped. That's all. Not stupid

10. George & Bill

"I rate myself 'not stupid'"

Aim higher next time, and more people might be convinced.

11. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

12. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Well-Known Member

That's terrible - I walked past and can't see anything obvious. Anyone have any idea what's happened?

13. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Chef spilled a pan of oil onto open charcoals apparently :facepalm:

Apparently it's fucked, the roof has collapsed in.

14. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Oh balls :(

15. George & Bill

Wat a plum

16. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of the murder of Katrina Makunova (above) at the scene. Oluwaseyi Dada, 21, of Brisbane Street, Camberwell, was charged with manslaughter on 13 July.

Dada is due to stand trial for manslaughter at the Old Bailey on 7 January 2019.

The Metropolitan Police said they believed the suspect and victim were known to each other.

Anyone with information on this attack is requested to call police on 0208 721 4812 or Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.

You can also visit https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-information/forms/give-information-anonymously or tweet information to @MetCC.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is awful news:

One man dead and two in hospital after triple stabbing in south London

Let's hope they got the bastards:

18. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Disturbing.

It is exactly a week ago that "well-known 'drill rapper'", 18-year old Latwaan Griffiths became London's 90th murder victim, when he was found with multiple knife wounds in Denmark Road, after being pushed off the back of a moped. He subsequently died at King's College Hospital.

Two arrests have been made.

[​IMG]

Any witnesses or anyone with information should contact the Homicide and Major Crime Command on 020 8721 4205 or call 101 quoting CAD 6605/25 July. Information can also be reported anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Some interesting free events in the run up to Camberwell Fair - including workshops on making your own carnival costumes.
    Events

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  21. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Also a new queer bar and entertainment venue has opened in the basement of Church Street Hotel / Angels and Gypsies. 'The Chateau' has a regular quiz night and performances.

22. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Sounds good :thumbs: When’s the quiz?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  23. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Appears to be a popup based mainly on Farcebook. Looks like a game show thing happening on the 9th, a queer poc thing on the 10th and Bingo on the 17th

friendofdorothy and colacubes like this.
  24. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

quiz and a queer bar! sounds ideal! Not on fb so if you notice a quiz night on there I'd appreciate it if you post it up here. Thanks!

colacubes likes this.
  25. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I fear there may only have been one quiz night. I might pop in and ask for how long they have the space.

colacubes likes this.
  26. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I reckon we should just go to this on Thursday

friendofdorothy, editor and colacubes like this.
  27. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I’m up for it :thumbs:

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  28. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Or this on117th
    Eta reckon I'll start a thread in community

editor and colacubes like this.
  29. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

A couple of friends went for the world cup final, said it was good fun!

mango5 likes this.
  30. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Ooo sounds good. I want to go.