1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Oops no excuse not to get take outs then.

2. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Nape (the charcuterie and wine place) has closed. I'm ambivalent.

3. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

Wanted to give a wholly positive mention to "Falafel & Shawarma" on Camberwell Church St - one of those little places with about 5 things on the menu, all tip top. The veggie options are so good that I rarely have the sole meat option (chicken - despite that extremely tasty too). Prices are beyond decent - £3.50 for a Falafel wrap, £4.50 for a mixed mezze plate (a superb selection of vegetarian Lebanese), same price for a chicken shawarma plate, plus £1.50 for 4 sambusak (samosa, veg or meat options), plus they do fresh carrot and ginger juice, mint tea etc.... amazing value all round, really

Very sweet staff, might well be family run, can't find a single negative personally... I'm regularly taking a detour there for my dinner or lunch!

4. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'm also a fan of that place.

5. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Wrap wars on that stretch of Camberwell Church Street keep things cheap. Though I haven't tried the competitors. The outpost of the felafel folk which is in the doomed location on Datchelor Place hasn't been open since August.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Ugh. Thank fuck this guy is locked up.

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/camberwell-rapist-targeted-young-women-nights-jailed/

7. drachir

mango5 and teuchter like this.
  8. The Grove pub reopened yesterday. Haven't had a drink/food but popped in and looks nice - definitely better than the Grand Union days.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  9. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Yeah, thanks Ed. Bummer :hmm:
    In other news, I'm not that keen on the Grove refurb. Much less cosy, too many hard surfaces and crap sounding sandwiches. Hope it settles down to being a local not directly aimed at a post-work crowd.
    Also, why has this appeared in Love Walk?
    eta I mean the non-adjustable telescope pointed at St Giles, not the fella.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    friendofdorothy likes this.
  10. Maggot

Maggot .

Launch of Camberwell Art Trail - CoolTan Arts

11. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Ludicrously detailed information about the UK’s oldest bin store (probably) and 'definitely not the church porch' on Benhill Road
    [​IMG]
    There's loads more. Read it here

editor likes this.
  12. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Looks like that was a month ago.
    Whoever is running that place into the ground these days seems utterly shady. Currently the focus of legal challenges, so I hear.

13. There's another telescope at the end of Wren Road near Morrisons. Had a look through it but there isn't really much of a vista!

mango5 likes this.
  14. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Another Arty thingy? I miss the pink parking meter Arty thingy.

15. drachir

From Twitter; the Grove is having their relaunch on Wednesday.

Sounds wank, but last time I went to a Young's pub opening (in Wandsworth), all the "suppliers" had free drinks and there was free food all night so might be worth a visit if you're a bit skint :)

Attached Files:

mango5 likes this.
  16. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why this building has Clubland above the door of a church on Grosvenor Terrace?
    I can't seem to any info other than the church, unless it was them that installed it.
    DSC_4745-01.jpeg

17. Johnlj123

Johnlj123 Active Member

Here is a piece about Clubland
    Clubland

mango5 and Nivag like this.
  18. drachir

Am I missing something, or does that piece completely fail to explain what Clubland was?

mango5 likes this.
  19. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Looks like it was a youth club JB Clubland

mango5 likes this.
  20. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Thanks for that!!! Amazing I'd been past this place for years and never knew what it was about.

mango5 likes this.
  21. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

With the info from above I've found a film on the BFI website, not watched it yet but here's what they say about the place.
    Rev. Jimmy Butterworth and the activities of Clubland

friendofdorothy and mango5 like this.
  22. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

I just assumed it's because they love a bit of UV lighting.

Nivag likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

hungry_squirrel likes this.
  24. teuchter

It seems things are getting increasingly silly at Denmark Hill station. I gather people were queuing along the road this morning as only one ticket gate was working and the staff had disappeared.

I'm not sure why the redesigned entrance hall is basically just not big enough for the number of people that use it. Did someone mess up their calculations? Even outside of rush hour the one ticket machine is inadequate. Even Loughborough Junction has two ticket machines!

hungry_squirrel and Maggot like this.
  25. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

There are two ticket machines but only one does oyster iirc.

26. teuchter

I don't think so. Are you sure?

27. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Pretty sure there were two he last time I was in there, a few months ago.

28. drachir

There's only one. It does Oyster, but only top-ups. You can't buy an Oyster card in the station (not even at the ticket desk) incredibly.

29. Get Involved

Get Involved Well-Known Member

There are two machines. The other one is the other side of the ticket barriers, next to the counter. It only takes card payments.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

When did that Subway by the junction with Coldharbour Lane slither into existence?

Or is has it been there for ages and I've just blocked it from my vision? Their food is disgusting.